Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you hoard ebooks for retirement?
Yes. I would have done (or do) so with paper books as well. 20 10.81%
Yes, but I would NOT have done so with paper books. 18 9.73%
No, not for retirement... but... uh... I hoard (e)books anyway. 113 61.08%
No, I don't hoard. Not ebooks, not paper books. 34 18.38%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2014, 10:18 PM   #91
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Ebooks already do go out of print. Eg look for ebook editions of Ellis Peters' "Brother Cadfael" series today and you won't find them, but you could have bought them a couple of months ago. That's why, if I come across a book or a series which interests me, I buy it. If I don't, there's no guarantee it'll be available when I want to read it.
Not to mention that some freebies and deals become full priced books a few months later
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:31 PM   #92
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
No, nooo! Stop it! Don't make me remember that backlog. It hurts!

Grrrrr... can I give negative Karma?!
Hahaha.

I sold most of my backlog once I had kids and realized I didn't have that much time any more between kids, school and work. Now that the kids are older, and I only have work, I've got a bit more time. I've learned that I tend to *actually* only play a few games a year, just a lot of hours.

Somehow I never have much book backlog. I think it's because they go everywhere.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:44 PM   #93
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
................................. That's why, if I come across a book or a series which interests me, I buy it. If I don't, there's no guarantee it'll be available when I want to read it.
Absolutely - and no need to worry about storage, even if you've come up with a huge number, providing your reader accepts cards.

( Anyway, it does provide the perfect excuse to buy another reader ...... )
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:51 PM   #94
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKate View Post
Not to mention that some freebies and deals become full priced books a few months later
Or tomorrow. In general, unless it's part of a series that I must read right now, I won't buy anything for full price anymore because my backlist may well outlive me.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:14 PM   #95
mva1985
Enthusiast
mva1985 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Glowlight, Nook HD
I said to myself not two days ago that I wasn't gonna download anymore freebies and then yesterday I buy two books on sale.

I keep thinking what if I miss a freebie... I can't seem to help myself
mva1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:52 PM   #96
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by mva1985 View Post
I said to myself not two days ago that I wasn't gonna download anymore freebies and then yesterday I buy two books on sale.

I keep thinking what if I miss a freebie... I can't seem to help myself
I suppose freebies are okay to hoard, since they don't cost anything. Myself, I've slowed down a lot getting them, since I never read them. If I want a free book, I can just borrow from the library.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:05 PM   #97
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
I have a 'Last Donut in the Box' pile that I'm saving back for a rainy (or retirement) day - Unread works by favorite authors.

Slaughterhouse Five and The Penultimate Truth are at the top, and I've been resisting them for years, even though I've had various pbook and epub copies in my collection.

Because once I read those, there's no more new Vonnegut or Philip K. Dick left for me to read, and that will be a sad day indeed.
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:22 PM   #98
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Rereading Time
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:11 PM   #99
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
I suppose freebies are okay to hoard, since they don't cost anything. Myself, I've slowed down a lot getting them, since I never read them. If I want a free book, I can just borrow from the library.
I've slowed down on the number of freebies I pick up too, but still think it's worth keeping an eye on them. I've currently got around 400 free books in my Calibre library, I don't expect to ever read them all, butI 'ordered' K.A.R.M.A in January 2012 and have just read it a year later. It's £4/$6 now, and I'll certainly consider buying other books by this author in future. Hoard them while they are free and read them at your leisure (or not at all).
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:26 PM   #100
mva1985
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
Hoard them while they are free and read them at your leisure (or not at all).
lol... I have become more discriminating about the freebies :-)
Old 02-12-2014, 03:23 PM   #101
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Life is too short to read a poor book. But......
You don't know if it is any good until you read at least some of it.
So, if it is free, you might as well grab it rather than read the sample first.
Then Alf it, Stick it in Calibre, let it clamber up to whatever cloud you favour.
Then whenever you want to see if it is worth reading, it still hasn't cost you any significant amount of time or money.
My mobile phone service has just given me free unlimited cloud storage (well, in the fine print it says 9.99 terabytes.....) and I have a few USB hard drives in the fire safe.
What's not to like about hoarding? No need to dust the ebooks!
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:43 AM   #102
mva1985
Enthusiast

good points
Old 02-14-2014, 01:26 AM   #103
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
....ew.

Is it necessary to inject random sexual violence jokes into otherwise pleasant conversations about ebooks? I, for one, could do without it.

If people could bear in mind that this isn't a locker room, that would be great. Cheers.
really? go knit or something

I snag lots of freebies and have hundreds on my tbr list. there are some authors that I have, keep and will continue to buy and read pretty much forever. I gave up keeping current on the wheel of time series well before Jordan died, I'm just stockpiling everything until the series is done and will re-read the series AGAIN and finish it. same thing with the martin books
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:36 AM   #104
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
I'm in Montreal and it is hard to get a decent selection of english books at the library. I would be lost without my ebooks.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:21 AM   #105
hansl
Zealot
hansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Sony PRS-T3S, CoolReader on 4'' Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
So, do you hoard books for your retirement?
I'm not hoarding but buying faster than I can read. So I have a library for myself from which I know that I can't read each and every book during my lifetime if I don't want to skip social life. Even then, I guess that my reading rate will decrease given the strain for the eyes now as compared to my thirties. But if you accept that life is too short anyway it's nice to have a choice at hand when thinking about the next book to read. And I like it if my visitors stand with open mouth between my bookshelves, pondering about kN/m2. Well, they are less impressed by my flash cards

Last edited by hansl; 02-14-2014 at 04:26 AM.
hansl is offline   Reply With Quote