Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-10-2010, 08:38 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Sorry, not trying to do that but it is a legitimate point. Even if it is a 50-50 split between Kindle and Nook, that is 50% of the market not being reached by libraries.

Amazon does not sales figures so the numbers of Kindle sold is not known. It has been said in many places, none that I can cite because I don't have them memorized, that Amazon has 70% of the e-book market, possibly more. Bezos said the vast majority of Kindle book purchases have been for Kindles and not Kindle apps, I am guessing they can track what devices books are downloaded on. This leads me to believe that the majority of Americans have Kindles. It could be faulty logic, it is a Friday after all.
The problem is that the only eBooks with DRM that the Kindle can access are from Amazon. This is an issue that would need to be taken up with Amazon, not the library staff.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:33 PM   #17
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
There's one series of four books that my library has books 1, 3, and 4. Very frustrating.
Very good point. Buy all available titles from the series, or none at all.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:04 PM   #18
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I sometimes wonder if there is some kind of nefarious publisher plot about not providing an entire series in ebook for libraries. Because I have noticed this issue a lot as well with my library.

I've also noticed that when they do have a complete series, it is not all in the same format, i.e. it might be ePUB and WMA audiobook (the latter is useless to me, I don't like audiobooks).

Anyway, that would be a great point to bring up, and I'd certainly encourage going. I think it is good for libraries to know people want these services. I made a point of taking my nook into my library and asking questions about the library service, as well as telling the librarians I'm using and loving the service now.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:09 PM   #19
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
deleted duplicate

Last edited by graycyn; 09-10-2010 at 11:11 PM.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:33 PM   #20
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One thing I know would be very useful is to have a request form in the Overdrive section. I've found that the request forms do not always go to the right person who knows about eBooks.
It would really be nice to be able to buy ebooks to donate for the library, too. One of the ebook library collections has links to Library BIN, if you'd like to buy the book for yourself from Overdrive. Well, what about the reverse? I link on the Library BIN site "buy this book for your library!"
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:15 AM   #21
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Suggest to the librarians that they need to spread the word to other libraries. The more libraries that join the Overdrive system the more ebooks there are for everyone to borrow.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:26 AM   #22
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
It would really be nice to be able to buy ebooks to donate for the library, too. One of the ebook library collections has links to Library BIN, if you'd like to buy the book for yourself from Overdrive. Well, what about the reverse? I link on the Library BIN site "buy this book for your library!"

Ooooooooo! Me like!
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:45 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
Suggest to the librarians that they need to spread the word to other libraries. The more libraries that join the Overdrive system the more ebooks there are for everyone to borrow.
But if your library doesn't have a good selection, it does you no good that the other library you don't have access to does have a good selection. The better idea is to try to get your library to get a good selection. And that does not mean just audiobooks or PDF.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:47 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
That would be nice. The way I'd like it to work is that you buy the eBook, you get it for 21 days and then it reverts to the libraries eBook library and if you need it for longer, you get first crack at taking it out for another 14 days max.

Then you'd get enough time to read it and the library would then get it for their collection.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:13 PM   #25
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
I would encourage you to participate if you can. You can carry the flag for all of us who love ebooks! Also, maybe you could ask if they are going to allow non-residents to pay an annual fee for using their library (for ebooks).
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:29 PM   #26
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
I think you should be agnostic with the ebook format. I would talk about how you use the system and then ask if they plan to center around a particular format. The people there may already have a good idea of the DRM issues. Then it can be a two way conversation about what they understand to be important and how the choice might affect you.

My library offers Safari Online as well as ebooks and audio books. They have newspapers and medical and encyclopedia references. I just discovered this last week. I am loving the Safari Online access.

I would ask them if they plan to branch out to other online resources.
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:14 PM   #27
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
Mention that the preferred format for ebooks is ePub. If they find that certain patrons like reading PDF, ask the library if it is feasible to carry both formats for a particular book. ePub books are much easier to read on the most common 5" and 6" devices.
By all means mention ePub as the "format of choice", especially for portable readers, but be aware that just because a book is available as an ePub for sale to individuals it might not be to the library. They might only have PDF as a choice if they want the title at all.

From Ted Bohaczuk in the Acquisitions Departmentat at the Philly Free Library...
Quote:
<snip>The library market and the consumer market have some differences. Some publishers only make one type of eBook file available for libraries, even if they create multiple formats for online sale.<snip>
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:52 PM   #28
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
The Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System just began offering Overdrive services a few weeks ago. I've been actively checking out books, and have requested that they buy a few titles also. I (along with a few other addressees) got this e-mail this morning from the Electronic Resources Librarian:

I haven't decided whether I'm going to do it or not, or even if I'm available that day. I'm considering it, though, and wondered if any of you have any thoughts on what I might say or suggest?
Agreed with others that modifying the Purchase Suggestion area to include downloadable media would be terrific.

I think librarians know Epub flows better, but some titles are PDF only.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:08 PM   #29
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
I appreciate all of the input I've gotten here. I'm still not sure if I'll be able to attend, but at the very least I'm going to compile a list of suggestions based on all of these comments and send them to her in an e-mail, and hopefully she will share them with the rest of the staff. Thank you!
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:53 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Agreed with others that modifying the Purchase Suggestion area to include downloadable media would be terrific.

I think librarians know Epub flows better, but some titles are PDF only.
Unfortunately, this is true. Also, we may have eBooks in a series in PDF. But a new one comes out and it's available in ePub. So we can read the last one, but the rest bah!