Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
warrenm
warrenm began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
PDF and page numbers

Hi,

My first couple books that I bought were EPUB. I really enjoyed how the page numbers worked and told me how long each chapter was. The next bunch that I got were in PDF format. These show the page total of the entire book, not until the next chapter, and often I have to flip several pages before having the next page register on the bottom. How do I make these PDF files (now converted into EPUB) read like the first books that I bought; that is, having the pages until next chapter show on the bottom, and having the page number change after every turn?
warrenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
What you describe can't be happening.

If you are reading an ePub, the page numbers are relative to the book. And each "page" is actually 1024 characters. This can cover multiple screens depending on font size, margins, line spacing and other layout.

For a PDF, they are also relative to the complete book and they are always one page per screen. PDF is a fixed format, so each screen will be one page.

If you converted a PDF to an ePub, then see my first paragraph for what happens.

I suppose what you mean is you bought from Kobo some books that downloaded to the Touch. These are not actually ePubs. They are "Kobo ePubs" or kepubs. While they are basically an ePub, Kobo has some extra formatting and other things in them. The Kobo devices use a different reader application for these than for a standard ePub. This reader application is what does the page numbering.

If you want this, when you put the epub onto the device, rename them to have ".kepub.epub" as the extension. This will force the ePub to be treated as a kepub. It is not something that Kobo supports, but it works.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote