Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-15-2010, 10:28 AM   #1
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Don't believe....

.... everything you see !!!!

BBC Web article !
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Very interesting, thanks.
I know I for one am a very unreliable eye witness. Thankfully I have not needed to be more accurate until now for any serious reason, I just fail to notice new haircuts or weight changes or new glasses (I do notice avatar changes though!)
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2010, 03:08 AM   #3
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Actually, itʻs the things I canʻt see that I sometimes find hard to believe. But sometimes, itʻs easier to believe the things you canʻt see.

You know, they say that if you had to choose to be either blind or deaf, itʻd be much better to be blind. I can understand the reasoning, I guess... hearing is more valuable to survival and whatnot... but itʻs far more terrifying for me when I canʻt see anything than it is when I canʻt hear.

And, going back to your original thought, if you shouldnʻt believe everything you see, how does that work if you canʻt see anything at all? Do you believe, or not?

I think these thoughts need some chocolate. Dark, preferably. I had chocolate dipped in peanut butter for lunch. I also ate some mixed vegetables. I feel that covered most food groups.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:02 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post

You know, they say that if you had to choose to be either blind or deaf, itʻd be much better to be blind. I can understand the reasoning, I guess... hearing is more valuable to survival and whatnot... but itʻs far more terrifying for me when I canʻt see anything than it is when I canʻt hear.
believe me, it's not pleasant; one just has to get on with life, though .... it may be harder than being born deaf and un-aware, than to have to live with memories each day ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:20 AM   #5
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
who says that? I've never heard it and it doesn't make sense to me. Practically every information that we need to function and survive in our human society is provided in a visual manner, starting with when it's safe to cross the street. Sure, I also use my hearing when I cross the street, but if I couldn't hear I could still cross. I'd just have to use my eyes extra carefully. I see blind people crossing the street without any help, so it's possible obviously, but it must be a harrowing experience. It scares me just to think about it.

And how about knowing where you are, or how to go where you want to go, when you can't read street names, signs, or maps?

Obviously, I'm a very visual kind of person But I would be totally useless as an eye witness, because I never notice things about people. I need to work with someone for weeks and see them every day before I could recognize them on the street
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2010, 04:24 AM   #6
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Hmm.. now Iʻm wondering where I heard/read that? Itʻs been in my head for a long time, but I remember being very surprised when I first encountered that idea. So I just tried looking it up. I found some paraphrasing of Oliver Sachʻs work; apparently he thinks it depends upon the age of someone. As a child, itʻs better to have your hearing, as that is how you experience and learn language. That seems familiar to me, so I think thatʻs what stuck in my mind... canʻt remember exactly how it related to safety, and itʻs past my bedtime, so Iʻll have to save that research for another time.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote