Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: What do yo do about DRM'd books
I don't buy books with DRM. 46 21.70%
I buy books with DRM but remove the DRM later. 103 48.58%
I buy books with less restrictive DRM like ereader only. 7 3.30%
I buy books with device specific DRM (like Mobi and Kindle) and stick to the DRM terms. 24 11.32%
Buy books? Everything I read comes from Project Gutenberg, Manybooks.net or Feedbooks; why would I buy books? 18 8.49%
Other. 14 6.60%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-2008, 10:36 AM   #1
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
DRM poll: How do you deal with it.

Well, since a couple of the recent threads on here have ended up diverging from their original topics to be about DRM (And to a certain extent, that was my fault), I figured I would post a poll, just so we could get a better idea of how people deal with DRM. I am sure I missed some options, but then again, we can all add our own thoughts after we vote .
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:45 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Mobi DRM doesn't bother me in the slightest. It's sufficient flexible to handle the new machines that I buy and, should it prove troublesome in the future (eg a store going out of business) I have the reassurance of knowing that, as a last resort, it can be circumvented.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2008, 10:46 AM   #3
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I picked other, partly to reflect that at present I have a mix of DRMd books and free books, but also because having been here a while now I know that I'm not neccesarily limited to books with DRM and that for some of them it can be circumvented if needed.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:52 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
OK... I think I might have hinted that I liberate ebooks.. but you want me to go on record with an official poll? My RIAA/MPAA warning horn is going off.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:53 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i sort of wish that this poll had been multiple choice because i hesitated between "i don't buy books with DRM" and "I buy books with DRM but remove the DRM later," but i suppose the first choice is not completely accurate anyway.

i try to avoid buying books with DRM when possible on principle as well as for practical reasons, but if there's a book i want enough which is only available with DRM, i'll buy it in LIT format and then immediately remove the DRM and save the html for archival purposes.

i must say though that the overwhelming majority of my books come from the free sources you listed in the last option (but you forgot to mention MobileRead !!!! that's where i get most of mine), and DRM is not a problem there.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2008, 10:54 AM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
OK... I think I might have hinted that I liberate ebooks.. but you want me to go on record with an official poll? My RIAA/MPAA warning horn is going off.

BOb
"just because i'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me..."
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:55 AM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
"just because i'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me..."
Exactly!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:56 AM   #8
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i sort of wish that this poll had been multiple choice because i hesitated between "i don't buy books with DRM" and "I buy books with DRM but remove the DRM later," but i suppose the first choice is not completely accurate anyway.

i try to avoid buying books with DRM when possible on principle as well as for practical reasons, but if there's a book i want enough which is only available with DRM, i'll buy it in LIT format and then immediately remove the DRM and save the html for archival purposes.

i must say though that the overwhelming majority of my books come from the free sources you listed in the last option (but you forgot to mention MobileRead !!!! that's where i get most of mine), and DRM is not a problem there.
And there wasn't an option for "The blue one, next to the fish" either
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:58 AM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
There are some titles I buy with DRM unhesitatingly -- they're ones I figure I'm not likely to ever want to re-read, so I'm less concerned if I can't get to them again in 5 years or so.

There are others that I will either buy without DRM (if I can) or "liberate" that I know I'm going to want access to indefinitely.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:00 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Mobi DRM doesn't bother me in the slightest. It's sufficient flexible to handle the new machines that I buy and, should it prove troublesome in the future (eg a store going out of business) I have the reassurance of knowing that, as a last resort, it can be circumvented.
Why not remove the DRM now? That way, you won't have to worry about changing PIDs or store going out of business. What if you didn't have the PID any longer? Then you could not strip the DRM. Best do it while you can and the DRM hassle is gone.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:00 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I must say that there are DRM formats I wouldn't buy, such as Sony's LRX format, because they lock me into a specific manufacturer about whom I have little confidence of their long-term committment to the eBook business. As I've said before, the reason I like Mobi is that it gives me a very wide choice of devices on which to read, and I have every confidence that it will continue to be supported in the future.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:01 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The option that I wanted that was not on there would have been...
When I do buy books with DRM, I buy in a format I can strip the DRM and convert if need be.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:01 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why not remove the DRM now? That way, you won't have to worry about changing PIDs or store going out of business. What if you didn't have the PID any longer? Then you could not strip the DRM. Best do it while you can and the DRM hassle is gone.
Because to do so is illegal where I live, and I prefer not to break the law unless the need to do so is forced upon me.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:02 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I must say that there are DRM formats I wouldn't buy, such as Sony's LRX format, because they lock me into a specific manufacturer about whom I have little confidence of their long-term commitment to the eBook business. As I've said before, the reason I like Mobi is that it gives me a very wide choice of devices on which to read, and I have every confidence that it will continue to be supported in the future.
Would you buy from Amazon if you could not strip the DRM of most of their eBooks knowing their past history with eBooks?
Old 10-27-2008, 11:03 AM   #15
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I voted one, because I mostly don't buy DRM'd books. I admit I have bought a few Mobi books, though, and at least one from eReader. I have yet to DRM-strip. My mostly-avoidance of DRM is the main reason I haven't bought a Kindle or Sony reader.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote