Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-31-2014, 04:25 PM   #18841
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Which 'both books'?

Those two. Though that link for the Rick Mercer Report Paperback Book is to the paperback, not the eBook. The eBook is the one I linked to in the previous sentence.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:15 PM   #18842
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Currently reading...

Quote:
...I'm now reading 3 books at once!
Quote:
...er make that 4 at once as I just started reading an Amazon freebie, Dance of the Winnebagos (A Jackrabbit Junction Mystery #1) by Ann Charles!
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhe View Post
Reading Monster Hunter International by Larry Correia: http://www.amazon.ca/Monster-Hunter-...=larry+correia

Really enjoying it so far. Very reasonably priced as well.
...and I just started reading the above Larry Correia book. That's now 5 books at once, sigh! Thanks Lea, for the tip! My interest seems to be wandering around a bit as I decide on a book that appears interesting and begin reading it. After a short while I discover another seemingly interesting book and start reading it and now I've got 5 books partly read! I need to stop adding new books till I finish a couple of these.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:16 AM   #18843
Dhevi
Zealot
Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy S3, Nexus 7.2
Just finished reading the Divergent series by Veronica Roth. Can't really say that I enjoyed myself. It was a struggle to finish, and the relationship between the primary protagonists felt forced. Perhaps it's time to step away from Dystopian futures.
Dhevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:43 AM   #18844
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I finished Crocodile on the Sandbank, which I enjoyed a lot, although the villain and motives were obvious from about half way through. I'm looking forward to reading the rest over the next few years.

Now to finish up my anthology of short stories.
Finished up my anthology of short stories. They were a good bunch, and I enjoyed them all, which isn't often the case. James Patrick Kelly does a good short story.

Now onto more short works, with last month's issue of Asimov's SF, March 2014. (Yes, the March issue comes out in January!)

Of books added to my TBR in January, ignoring ones that are parts of series that I'm intentionally reading slowly over time, I have five left. Since I only plan to buy two books in February, I hope to enter March with all my 2014 purchases read. And then I can start working backwards. I have a load from December 2013 waiting to be read. Including Alloy of Law! I'm amazed I haven't got to that one yet.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:29 PM   #18845
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished The Shining by Steven King and will eventually get to Dr Sleep but, for now, its The English Assassin by Daniel Silva. Somehow I missed Silva's books when they originally came out; so now I have the pleasure of most of them in front of me. Woo Hoo!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:25 PM   #18846
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhevi View Post
Just finished reading the Divergent series by Veronica Roth. Can't really say that I enjoyed myself. It was a struggle to finish, and the relationship between the primary protagonists felt forced. Perhaps it's time to step away from Dystopian futures.
Hmm.. I just started Insurgent.. I'm enjoying it. Perhaps I have more juvenile tastes. And I'm ok with that.

As an Aside, I finally watched "Host" last night on Netflix and rather enjoyed it. This is saying a lot cause I couldn't get past the first 10 minutes of Twilight.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:00 PM   #18847
Dhevi
Zealot
Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy S3, Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Hmm.. I just started Insurgent.. I'm enjoying it. Perhaps I have more juvenile tastes. And I'm ok with that.

As an Aside, I finally watched "Host" last night on Netflix and rather enjoyed it. This is saying a lot cause I couldn't get past the first 10 minutes of Twilight.
I hope I didn't come off as meaning it was juvenile. For my taste, I could not get into it as well as I had initially hoped to. I enjoyed the Hunger Games, and Maze Runner trilogies, but I couldn't fully buy into Divergent.

And I as well enjoyed Host. I felt at times, the story progression was a little slow, but it was an entertaining flick.
Dhevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:28 PM   #18848
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Hmmmm, interesting. I wasn't going to bother as I loathed the Twilight films so much (had to sit through them all at the cinema because youngest daughter was such a fan). I may rethink .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:20 PM   #18849
CARTHUR28TT
CARTHUR28TT began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Smile christine feehan

I Just finished her Dark Series and will start reading her Drake Sisters series tonight.

Admittedly, I was not impressed by the Dark Series as honestly I dont like vampire books but I gave it a try to see if maybe I was wrong in my assessment. BUT nope..... I still don't like them. The books were well written and the love scenes were super hot, which is why I persevered but the rest of it left me with a bad taste in my mouth and unsettled.

I however am looking forward to the Drake Series. I love magic stories and fantasy novels as long as they are not dark. And yes before anyone asks... I hate horror anything too!
CARTHUR28TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:34 AM   #18850
orangedotgreen
Enthusiast
orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-fi
I finished The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos by Brian Greene. It was interesting, but quite difficult for me to follow in some places and it took me a month to finish, which is quite a lot for me.

I'm still reading The Way of Kings and last week I also started The Mystery of the Blue Train by Agatha Christie.
orangedotgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:40 AM   #18851
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Finished "Cradle of Saturn" by James P. Hogan. This is a Baen ebook that I originally bought in May 2000 (yes, I do have a long reading list ). This is an "end of the world" story based on the (crackpot) theories of Velikovsky. An Earth-size body is ejected by Jupiter and falls into the inner solar system. Will it hit the Earth and kill everyone?

Spoiler:

Yes.

A silly conjecture, but a good story.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:27 PM   #18852
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
Just completed Kicking the Sky by Anthony De Sa. This is his first novel following his highly acclaimed book of short stories called Barnacle Love. The novel is built around the abduction and murder of a young Portuguese boy in Toronto in the 70s. The aftermath in the Portuguese community as seen through the eyes of an 11 year old boy and his friends is a great coming of age story and provides a good window in that time and community.

Also just finished Emancipation Day by Wayne Grady. This is a really interesting novel addressing post WW2 racism in Windsor Ontario.

I just started reading Wool. It's been a while since reading some sci fi and it seems highly recommended.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:12 PM   #18853
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhevi View Post
I hope I didn't come off as meaning it was juvenile. For my taste, I could not get into it as well as I had initially hoped to. I enjoyed the Hunger Games, and Maze Runner trilogies, but I couldn't fully buy into Divergent.

And I as well enjoyed Host. I felt at times, the story progression was a little slow, but it was an entertaining flick.
I read the first two books in the series and don't think I'll be reading the final book. I couldn't get into it, either, and I generally enjoy YA fiction. I felt that the first book had promise, but the second book really didn't do anything for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedotgreen View Post
I finished The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos by Brian Greene. It was interesting, but quite difficult for me to follow in some places and it took me a month to finish, which is quite a lot for me.

I'm still reading The Way of Kings and last week I also started The Mystery of the Blue Train by Agatha Christie.
I hope that you are enjoying The Way of Kings. I plan on rereading it this month in preparation for the soon to be published sequel. Enjoy!

I'm currently reading book three in the Flavia De Luce series, A Red Herring Without Mustard. Such fun! A real breath of fresh air!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #18854
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I just finished "Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up To Me," the only book written by Richard Fariña. It came out in '65 and was an instant hit with the Folk Music/Hippie community, then passed into obscurity quickly. I hadn't re-read it before, and it was a wonderful recreation of those early 'formative years.' Somewhat like 'On The Road,' but not so highbrow... if you can imagine that! LOL!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:56 PM   #18855
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
I finished The Way of Kings, which was awesome. Now I'm reading Evolution by Stephen Baxter-

Quote:
Stretching from the distant past into the remote future, from primordial Earth to the stars, Evolution is a soaring symphony of struggle, extinction, and survival; a dazzling epic that combines a dozen scientific disciplines and a cast of unforgettable characters to convey the grand drama of evolution in all its awesome majesty and rigorous beauty. Sixty-five million years ago, when dinosaurs ruled the Earth, there lived a small mammal, a proto-primate of the species Purgatorius. From this humble beginning, Baxter traces the human lineage forward through time. The adventure that unfolds is a gripping odyssey governed by chance and competition, a perilous journey to an uncertain destination along a route beset by sudden and catastrophic upheavals. It is a route that ends, for most species, in stagnation or extinction. Why should humanity escape this fate?
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote