Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #17986
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Well, I've finally got to the end of "Forge of the Elders" by L. Neil Smith. This was a part of my "catch up on my past Baen purchases" project, which unfortunately is a losing race, since I'm buying 4 new Baen books a month, but only catching up on the old ones by 1 or 2 a month . Anyway, be that as it may, this was a book I bought in April 2000.

The plot is that, in the mid 21st century, in a USA which is now a part of the world-wide Soviet Empire, an expedition is sent to an asteroid, in order to mine its resources, where it is discovered that the asteroid is populated by a wide range of sentient beings from alternate time-lines, in which evolution has followed different paths. Even worse, this is a capitalist society, rather than being good Marxists!

An interesting idea, but I found it terribly hard going, and I honestly can't recommend it.

On now to something a lot easier to read: "Why Didn't They Ask Evans?" by Agatha Christie, one of her standalone detective stories not featuring any of her "regular" detectives.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:46 AM   #17987
leanansidhe
Faerie Godmother
leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Have yet read the King's new release and sequel to The Shining, Doctor Sleep? If not It'd sure be a great choice to read next!

I haven't read Dr Sleep, but there's an excerpt at the end of The Shining which I can't wait to get to. The Shining has been one of the creepiest books I've ever read and the movie was fantastic.
leanansidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #17988
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm enjoying Kindred. It is nothing like any other time travel story I've ever read and that's the only science fiction part of the story. They rest is just a really good story of a modern black women (1976) flung back in time to the days of slavery.
I'm not into SF&F, but this book sounds interesting. I might grab it from my library-in-the-sky for my next read.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #17989
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
I'm not into SF&F, but this book sounds interesting. I might grab it from my library-in-the-sky for my next read.
It's not really SF. Just has the time travel element. It's kind of like Outlander which s not SF either but does have a time travel element to it. Also, 11/22/63 is the same way. Time travel element, but not really SF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #17990
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Well, I've finally got to the end of "Forge of the Elders" by L. Neil Smith. This was a part of my "catch up on my past Baen purchases" project, which unfortunately is a losing race, since I'm buying 4 new Baen books a month, but only catching up on the old ones by 1 or 2 a month . Anyway, be that as it may, this was a book I bought in April 2000.

The plot is that, in the mid 21st century, in a USA which is now a part of the world-wide Soviet Empire, an expedition is sent to an asteroid, in order to mine its resources, where it is discovered that the asteroid is populated by a wide range of sentient beings from alternate time-lines, in which evolution has followed different paths. Even worse, this is a capitalist society, rather than being good Marxists!

An interesting idea, but I found it terribly hard going, and I honestly can't recommend it.

On now to something a lot easier to read: "Why Didn't They Ask Evans?" by Agatha Christie, one of her standalone detective stories not featuring any of her "regular" detectives.
L. Neil Smith is a hardcore Libertarian and all of his books tend to aggressively push this agenda. Some are decent reads if you ignore how hard he pushes his views. Others are very badly written in my opinion.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #17991
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
L. Neil Smith is a hardcore Libertarian and all of his books tend to aggressively push this agenda. Some are decent reads if you ignore how hard he pushes his views. Others are very badly written in my opinion.
Apache
Thanks! I think one of his books is enough for me .
Old 10-24-2013, 03:03 PM   #17992
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:

You know, Harry, with the size of the TBR you have, you really shouldn't be wasting time reading dreck that you're not enjoying. Even though I have quite a few Baen books that I've had for quite a while but haven't read, some of them won't ever be read. Especially with a few Baen authors that I simply won't read regardless of how well written their books may be, but where I ended up with their books because they were in one bundle or another.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #17993
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
You know, Harry, with the size of the TBR you have, you really shouldn't be wasting time reading dreck that you're not enjoying.
I know, and you're right. I just have an aversion to abandoning books. I really should have given up on it when it was obvious that it wasn't my cup of tea.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:25 PM   #17994
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I know, and you're right. I just have an aversion to abandoning books. I really should have given up on it when it was obvious that it wasn't my cup of tea.
I am getting better at this. I think I've abandoned 9 books this year.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #17995
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I am currently reading Deny Thy Father (Star Trek: Lost Era V) on my Kindle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	father.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	113939  
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #17996
Ranny
Connoisseur
Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Reading the Dead Tracks by Tim Weaver at present.
Ranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #17997
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Thanks! I think one of his books is enough for me .
The two I liked are The Nagasaki Vector and Their Majesties' Bucketeers.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...agasaki_Vector

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...ies_Bucketeers

The second one is a Sherlock Holmes style murder mystery with aliens.

I read these many years ago in paper. I did enjoy them and if you have one give it a go.

http://www.amazon.com/Majesties-Buck...s=l+neil+smith

Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:38 PM   #17998
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I will now read Savior - Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith #4 by John Jackson Miller. It is a short-story series and I am now starting to get into it.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #17999
orange!
Born to be wild
orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle K3 wi-fi, Nexus 7 + Aldiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
...It's kind of like Outlander which s not SF either but does have a time travel element to it....
Coincidentally, I'm reading Outlander right now. Apparently from the reviews on Goodreads, a lot of people are turned off by some of the plot elements.

I haven't gotten that far in the book yet, but so far it seems to be very well-written.
orange! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:21 PM   #18000
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Thanks, Apache.

I've tried to read Smith's The Probability Broach several times, but the Confederacy-Hamiltonian politics thing was taking up too much of the entertainment space. The Nagasaki Vector looks interesting, and I will put it on my TBR.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote