Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-02-2010, 12:11 PM   #1
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
Duplicated in Calibre

I have been using Calibre pretty much since it was first released, and the original version was not nearly as graceful at handling duplicate ebooks as it is now. As a result, my library of 2000 books has a fair number of dups (the same ebook but in different formats, epub or mobi or whatever).

Is there an easy (I.E. automatic) way to scan the library and merge the duplicates into a single entry? The only way I can see to do it is to manually add the dups again and then delete the superfluous entries. I can do that if I have to but it's tedious.

Oh, and I just now sent another donation for this product. This is the third or fourth time I have donated but I do not care. This software is better designed, maintained, and supported than 99 percent of the so-called 'commercial' software I have purchased. Thanks to the devs for their excellent work!
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:31 PM   #2
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
Well, duh. Never mind, I found it, thanks HAHAHA
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:56 AM   #3
SwedishMike
SwedishMike began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Hi there,

I'm trying to do the same thing - could you please let me know how you resolved it?

Tia, Mike
SwedishMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:46 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishMike View Post
I'm trying to do the same thing - could you please let me know how you resolved it?
If you wish to merge two books into one.

Select the book with the most complete or prettiest metadata. The record you want to keep.
Select the second book that you wish to merge into the first.
Right click on a book go to edit metadata - Merge Books - Merge into first select book - delete others (see attached) or just press the shortcut key M.

The second book will be merged in to the first book and the second will be deleted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	merge_books.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	57476  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-01-2010 at 04:48 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:33 AM   #5
SwedishMike

Walt,

Many thanks for your reply, but I was looking for an automated way of doing this.

Kind of like what it does when you import books but for books that already are in the database if you see what I mean.

I've started to sort them on title and merging etc but it would be great if there was a more automated way of doing this.

// Mike
Old 09-01-2010, 07:59 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishMike View Post
I've started to sort them on title and merging etc but it would be great if there was a more automated way of doing this.
I suppose there is one way that might suit your purpose.

My only assumption is that you are using Windows, these instructions may vary slightly in other Operating Systems.

1. Go to Preferences - Add/Save - Saving books tab
2. Ensure that the following are checked.
Save cover separately
Update metadata in saved copy
Save metadata in OPF file
3. Go to Preferences - Add/Save - Adding books tab
4. Ensure that the following is checked (we'll need it later.)
If books with similar titles and authors found, merge the new files automatically
5. Click OK
6. Quit Calibre, control-Q or right click on system tray and select quit.
7. Click icon to start Calibre.
8. Select all books in Calibre's library
9. Select Save to Disk, create a new directory akin to Calibre_library_backup then click OK.
Calibre is now backing up all the files in your Calibre Library and any metadata or covers that you have updated/added.
10. Once complete, use the Library icon and create an empty library at a new location.
11. You are now looking at an empty library with zero books.
12. Click on the drop down arrow next to the Add Books icon (top left) select Adding books from directories, including sub directories (multiple books per directory, assumes every ebook file is a different book) now select the directory you previously backed up your library to, in this example it was Calibre_library_backup.
Calibre is now restoring all your backed up books. This could take a while. Wait for it to finish.
13. With the If books with similar titles and authors found, merge the new files automatically option checked all duplicates should be merged into one book with multiple formats.

The good thing is that if you're not sure about something or you think something is missing you can go back to the original library and find what you were missing because that library will not be changed. Sending books between libraries is as simple as a right click and selecting copy to library.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-01-2010 at 08:05 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:03 AM   #7
SwedishMike

Walt,

That's awesome. Many thanks for taking the time of writing all of this up - I'm very grateful.

I'm actually running under Linux but I'll just adapt and adjust your excellent instructions.

// Mike
Old 09-01-2010, 09:24 AM   #8
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
13. With the If books with similar titles and authors found, merge the new files automatically option checked all duplicates should be merged into one book with multiple formats.
FYI, I wrote the automerging/autosorting code that implements the functions behind If books with similar titles and authors found, merge the new files automatically . I recently completed new code that does the same thing when Copying books to another Library. It's been submitted, but not yet released. When it is, you should be able to do the same thing by copying all your books into a new library. It should be able to identify and merge duplicates as they are moved into the new library.

Edit: There are several "shoulds " in there because I haven't tested it in that way, and Kovid will be tweaking and editing my code before adding it.

Last edited by Starson17; 09-01-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote