Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-30-2008, 10:32 AM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
100 free classics! But how?

After registering my 505 with Sony, I received an email telling me about the 100 free classics I could get online. When I logged into the site and tried to "buy" one, I was asked for a code. I checked the email they'd sent, but there was no code in it.

I'm confused - it's easily done - has anyone managed to obtain these "free" books.

P.S. I already have the CD classics which came with the device, but the site has different books if you look really closely.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:35 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I'm confused - it's easily done - has anyone managed to obtain these "free" books.

P.S. I already have the CD classics which came with the device, but the site has different books if you look really closely.
As far as I know... when you register your reader to your account you are credited with the 100 classic credits.

That said... any of these "free" classics is really free anywhere. You will find better formatted versions of those books here in our ebook section or at feedbooks.com.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2008, 10:37 AM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Plug in your device with the ebook library open. Under my account, you should see something for registering device with the ebookstore. Make sure you have registered it that way. After that is done, the credits will automatically be added to your account. No code needed.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:42 AM   #4
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, I already registered with the code on the back of the device; does that count?

Thanks Bob, maybe I'll look for them elsewhere, though I haven't seen Dickens' "Wreck of the Golden Mary" elsewhere.

Edit: I just tried clicking the "purchase" button, and it looks like I now have the book!

Sorry to bother you. Thanks.

Last edited by BookCat; 12-30-2008 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:46 AM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Thanks Bob, maybe I'll look for them elsewhere, though I haven't seen Dickens' "Wreck of the Golden Mary" elsewhere.
http://feedbooks.com/book/699

No bother BTW. That's what we are here for.

BOb

PS: Harry... what did you miss a Dickens?
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2008, 10:53 AM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Thanks, I already registered with the code on the back of the device; does that count?

Edit: I just tried clicking the "purchase" button, and it looks like I now have the book!

No, that is a little different. You have to register it with the ebookstore, doing what I did above.

When you purchased, did it show up as free?
Old 12-30-2008, 11:35 AM   #7
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
PS: Harry... what did you miss a Dickens?
Nah, it is part of the Christmas Stories collection.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6179#post66179

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:59 AM   #8
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Quote:

http://manybooks.net/titles/dickenscetext98wrkgm10.html

Manybooks.net has many many more Project Gutenberg books than Feedbooks does. Lots of other formats too.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 04:13 PM   #9
BookCat
C L J

Thanks, this forum is a goldmine of info about where to look for free ebooks!
Old 01-03-2009, 04:35 PM   #10
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
And do try our own book upload section too.
(Click on "Ebooks" on the blue bar towards the top of this page.)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:36 PM   #11
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thanks, this forum is a goldmine of info about where to look for free ebooks!
If it's free ebooks you're looking for, besides the public domain sites, I have a blog that lists many books that are not in the public domain, and yet are still free and LEGAL - meaning modern, free, legal ebooks.

http://finding-free-ebooks.blogspot.com/
Old 01-12-2009, 08:55 PM   #12
cmbs
non-believer

I just noticed that Sony is calling the 100 free classics a $199 value. Books on Board is calling it a $500 value.

Amusing since they're FREE from several websites. And just reminds me how much these companies are attempting to manipulate customers.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:15 PM   #13
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbs View Post
I just noticed that Sony is calling the 100 free classics a $199 value. Books on Board is calling it a $500 value.

Amusing since they're FREE from several websites. And just reminds me how much these companies are attempting to manipulate customers.

Sony has always called it a $199 value, since without the promo the books are $1.99.

Which I'm totally OK with, because they were provided by my alma mater And on the flipside, I don't think a lot of people would know these were free elsewhere. So they totally could go out and pay full price for these. Honestly I had no idea when I bought my Reader that a lot of these Classics are available for free, so when I see $199 value I think well it's probably worth half that, but still, that's $100 in free books. Weeee! And it was one of the factors that sold me. So again, I'm totally OK with it. It's marketing, and you gotta do what you gotta do.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:53 PM   #14
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Which I'm totally OK with, because they were provided by my alma mater
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	We.Are.Penn.State.01.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	21159  
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:14 AM   #15
cmbs
non-believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I don't think a lot of people would know these were free elsewhere. So they totally could go out and pay full price for these. . . And it was one of the factors that sold me.
That's exactly my point. They are manipulating people (who don't know any better) into thinking they're getting something worth $199. Makes me wonder what else they're spinning to make themselves look good. Just kind of reminds me of how the game is being played. I find it interesting. And Books on Board says they're worth $500.

Maybe these companies could give away something that's actually worth these amounts? I'd take a new reader from Books on Board and I'd still have a lot to spare! Of course they're not going to do that. That's my point - they're not doing what they're claiming.

Last edited by cmbs; 01-13-2009 at 02:22 AM.

Tags
classics, free, problems, sony