Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-04-2015, 08:05 AM   #31
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
There is one thing strange about the screenshot, and that is the missing icon for the 0007 file. How did you delete that file? Right-click? Menu? Direct in file?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:17 AM   #32
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
aJuanJo,

As I asked previously, lets rule out external problems too. So please answer these questions ...

1. What Anti-virus software are you using?

2. Have you tried temporarily disabling your anti-virus programs?

3. Have your tried deleting the older version's setting files?

4. Have you checked to see if you have bad or broken openssl dlls in your path? Look for copies of libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll that have been installed in the path. If these exist, you should probably replace them with known good versions by downloading OpenSSL 1.0.1l version and putting the 2 files libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll into the same folder as sigil.exe.

5. Have you tried updating your graphics driver to the latest version from Microsoft? Bad graphics drivers cause many many crashing problems on Windows. There have been numerous Qt5 issues with outdated ati graphics drivers.

Points 4 and 5 above are crucial in that these are common causes of random crashes.

Last edited by KevinH; 04-04-2015 at 10:22 AM.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2015, 04:22 PM   #33
aJuanJo
aJuanJo began at the beginning.

Device: sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
aJuanJo,

As I asked previously, lets rule out external problems too. So please answer these questions ...

1. What Anti-virus software are you using?

2. Have you tried temporarily disabling your anti-virus programs?

3. Have your tried deleting the older version's setting files?

4. Have you checked to see if you have bad or broken openssl dlls in your path? Look for copies of libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll that have been installed in the path. If these exist, you should probably replace them with known good versions by downloading OpenSSL 1.0.1l version and putting the 2 files libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll into the same folder as sigil.exe.

5. Have you tried updating your graphics driver to the latest version from Microsoft? Bad graphics drivers cause many many crashing problems on Windows. There have been numerous Qt5 issues with outdated ati graphics drivers.

Points 4 and 5 above are crucial in that these are common causes of random crashes.
I come from Sigil 0.7.4, it didn't use Qt, I think, so maybe that could be from point 5.
1. I use Inmunet as antivirus software
2. No
3. Hmmm, I have unistalled sigil and all MSV C++. Where does setting files are? I have deleted everithing from Sigil even cleaned and defrag register file
4. I'll give it a look

JuanJo
aJuanJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 04:27 PM   #34
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by aJuanJo View Post
Where does setting files are?
@aJuanJo - settings are in C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\sigil-ebook

To start over with Sigil remove (or rename) that directory

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 04:43 PM   #35
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I come from Sigil 0.7.4, it didn't use Qt, I think, so maybe that could be from point 5.
Yes. 0.7.4 used Qt. Qt5 to be exact. Just an earlier version than the one used in 0.8.5.

So number 5 is important. As Qt5 moves forward and matures, older video drivers are starting to be left behind.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-04-2015 at 04:45 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2015, 06:13 AM   #36
aJuanJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
There is one thing strange about the screenshot, and that is the missing icon for the 0007 file. How did you delete that file? Right-click? Menu? Direct in file?
I don't remember. Maybe delete button, but not sure
Old 04-08-2015, 07:09 AM   #37
aJuanJo

Thanks BetterRed. I've just begun all again from scratch.

Kevin and DiapDealer
After cleansing everything, I installed the official 0.8.5 in my desktop, but again it won't run OK. So I installed the unofficial versión and after deleting, renaming, cleansing source from epub, saving and deleting, inserting files, changing places of html files I haven't been able to reproduce the problem of deleting and crashing... I've used four different epub-copies to make a mess of them and nothing happens... Later I will try in my notebook..

edit
I have deleted files inside both with delete button and with mouse right-click and delete.

Last edited by aJuanJo; 04-08-2015 at 07:10 AM. Reason: clarifying
Old 04-08-2015, 08:00 AM   #38
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Thanks BetterRed. I've just begun all again from scratch.

Kevin and DiapDealer
After cleansing everything, I installed the official 0.8.5 in my desktop, but again it won't run OK. So I installed the unofficial versión and after deleting, renaming, cleansing source from epub, saving and deleting, inserting files, changing places of html files I haven't been able to reproduce the problem of deleting and crashing... I've used four different epub-copies to make a mess of them and nothing happens... Later I will try in my notebook..

edit
I have deleted files inside both with delete button and with mouse right-click and delete.
Still waiting to hear regarding what happens when numbers 2, 4 and 5 are tried.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:00 AM   #39
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Crash after deleting item from Text

Interesting... Edit a message and get a new message with the edit applied. Sometimes, I think running the x64 Nightly is more pain than gain.

Last edited by DNSB; 04-09-2015 at 01:09 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:07 AM   #40
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
For me, it happens when I right click/delete or select/delete key a file or I merge files. From the fix mentioned earlier, it's fairly easy to see why it's so random. The missing icon gives me time to scream EXPLETIVE DELETED!!! before the crash message pops up.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 02:41 AM   #41
aJuanJo

Sorry DiapDealer and Kevin,

I'm not trying points 2, 4 and 5, because it seems to work, I mean deleting setting files, seems to work right with the main problem, the delete crash. I have installed official sigil in my notebook after deleting setting files and it works fine, no crashes, no issue,,,

The problem I have with the official version on my desktop, don't bother me as long as I can use the unofficial version...

So for me it's ok.

I know you have to track this down.

Thank you...
Old 04-10-2015, 01:29 PM   #42
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
FWIW I just had a single crash (out of MANY uses). W7 x64

I moved a file (TOC to the end)
I deleted a file
Crash
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 03:00 PM   #43
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi theDucks,

I am now convinced my patch to fix the Create TOC HTML bug you reported is causing a problem. I have a new fix for your problem, which I think we not cause any new issues as well as a fix for Merge crashes.

Hopefully sometime this weekend Sigil 0.8.6 will be released with these improvements. It should fix your crashes in Sigil 0.8.5.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 03:06 PM   #44
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Hi theDucks,

I am now convinced my patch to fix the Create TOC HTML bug you reported is causing a problem. I have a new fix for your problem, which I think we not cause any new issues as well as a fix for Merge crashes.

Hopefully sometime this weekend Sigil 0.8.6 will be released with these improvements. It should fix your crashes in Sigil 0.8.5.
It was only a tiny crash. Once!

Thanks for all your hard work on Sigil
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:12 PM   #45
SuicycoMania
SuicycoMania began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Sorry, I have been traveling for work with no access to my home computer that is running Sigil.

It did not matter if I was in Book View or Code View.
The eBooks I am editing are located on my internal D: drive.
My A/V is ESET Smart Security v8.0.304.0 and I have tried disabling the Anti-Virus portion and it does not fix the problem.
Have most up-to-date graphic drivers for my PC (even backed out to the previous version), does not fix the problem.

I see in the various posts in this thread, that some others are experiencing the same sort of crash. You try and delete an item from the "Text" section, but instead of deleting, the the icon beside that item disappears, and then the program stops responding and crashes. I am beginning to wonder if this may be a 64-bit version problem?

I also see there is a new version (0.8.6) available, so I will download that and see if the error goes away.

Sorry again for the delay in responding.
SuicycoMania

Quote:
Hi SuicycoMania,

Any further information?

KevinH
SuicycoMania is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
0.8.5, 64-bit, crash