Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-07-2013, 10:22 PM   #1
phubbard
phubbard knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phubbard knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phubbard knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phubbard knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phubbard knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phubbard knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phubbard knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phubbard knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phubbard knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phubbard knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phubbard knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 4
Kindle 4, OS 4.1.1 usbnet code not working

Hi,

I'm new to the Kindle dev world but write code on other platforms. I bought a Kindle to make a weather display for my daughter but have gotten stuck and hope you can help.

http://www.mpetroff.net/archives/201...ather-display/

was the idea, and I plan to add data from forecast.io.

Anyway, I have the latest Kindle 4 hardware, software version 4.1.1, serial starts with 9023. The jailbreak was no problem but the USB networking has me stymied. I've tried versions 1.1, 0.47 and 0.7; with none of them does searching for ;un actually work.

Has anyone else gotten this combination to work?

Much appreciated,
Paul
phubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:03 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Are you certain that the Serial number's first four characters are 9023 ?
Any chance of a typo there ?

Ref: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers

Which would mean your device is one of the KT-Black (most recent) machines and should use the most recent packages.
Some of those you mention are far too old to recognize a 9023.

The above would only effect the install process.

All other reports of USBnetworking not working are operator error reports.

Last edited by knc1; 04-08-2013 at 09:08 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #3
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Works fine on my 4. Identical setup. Have to suspect pebkak.

That looks suspiciously like a wrong serial number thingy

To view the device information (411) page, do the following:

1. Go to settings page
2. Press and Hold the keyboard button
3. Press the right side "previous page" button

You want the DSN: (1st 4 digits) such as B00E

: )

Hope that helps.

IIRC you may or may not have to first initially debug mode?

like... erm... ~debugon then ;un

I have made this exact comment before which Niluje confirmed. (the K4 has a bit of a strange mix of ~ and ; prefixes the exact details of which I forget but I think I got that right)

Nope I got it wrong tilde un

like:

~un

Or you can run it via the KUAL helper like I do now...

Up to you.

Last edited by twobob; 04-08-2013 at 12:09 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
That looks suspiciously like a wrong serial number thingy
Thought that myself at first, but it is listed in the known serial numbers as an alternate to the Bxxx numbering for the K4-Black devices.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

how very un-useful.

Hold keyboard button and press the left previous page button twice.

What does that list as?
Advert
Old 04-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
phubbard
phubbard knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phubbard knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phubbard knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phubbard knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phubbard knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phubbard knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phubbard knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phubbard knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phubbard knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phubbard knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phubbard knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Serial number confirmed

On both the settings page, and the 411 page, DSN starts with 9023. I can post the full number, or are there risks associated with doing so?

(Like I said, I'm a Kindle newbie)

Which USB networking version should I be using, please?

As I understand it so far, the process is

1) Drag the binary to the root of the Kindle fs
2) eject
3) Settings / update
4) Reboot with usb disconnected
5) Search for ~debugOn
6) Search for ;un
7) Connect USB
8) Profit

Corrections most welcome,
P
Old 04-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #7
twobob

well, don't post the number. The prefix will do fine.

For the kindle 4 (AFAIK because I don't have the new "BLACK" one) it is simply a case of doing what you indicated.

TBH I dont run it manually like that but I will right now. one sec.

Ah right

~un not ;un (sorry)

Last edited by twobob; 04-08-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #8
phubbard

OK, a PEBKAC on my part - had the wrong bin file.

update_usbnetwork_0.47.N_k4_install.bin

seems to be working, along with ~un

BTW, this is the new black, ordered and received last week (4/4/13), so I'd guess their current run of hardware has the 9023 prefix.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #9
twobob

Right. Good info.

Have to see about getting hold of one then to see what else they "tweaked".

Ah well.. medium term goal. Glad you got it up and running.

dump/touch a blank "verbose" file in /usbnet for good measure.

Enjoy.