Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 02-23-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
JBrondos
Edge User

Eye-Fi SD WiFi Geotagging Memory Card?

Please forgive my technological ignorance in asking this question . . . with a lengthy preamble.

I have a digital camera making use of the 8Gb Eye-Fi Professional WiFi SD card. When I take a picture, the card automatically gathers information on my latitude and longitude and attaches it to the photo. It also transfers my pictures wirelessly to my computers when I'm within range. It's a great deal for about $100-$150. I love it.

Now, the question(s):

Do you think there is any chance that the Eye-Fi card could work . . . or be made to work . . . with the Entourage eDGe -- or other android devices? Or is that technologically impossible - or too difficult to make it worthwhile?

Old 02-23-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
sarah11918
Edge User

I bought my mom an eye-fi when they first came out. I've only ever tried it on her computer, but I do know that the card requires drivers/an app when you stick it into your laptop to configure the wifi behaviour. So, I'm going to guess that there's no Android app written for the Eye-Fi (since most Android devices are phones and take a mini SD card at best, not an SD card), and I'm going to guess it's not currently going to function like it does on your computer.

I did find the customer support at Eye-Fi was very helpful when I had an issue with the card, so you could always ask them whether there's any possibility of getting it to run on an Android device.

You can have the Eye-Fi configured to upload to an online photo site such as Picasa or Photobucket, and then use the Picasa or Photobucket app on the edge to retrieve/view/organize the photos. (I know, you can just stick the SD card in and have access to them like a normal card... but I think you're going to find that the only way to get the eye-fi pics on your edge wirelessly will require going through the web like that somehow.)

Advert
Old 02-24-2011, 08:15 AM   #3
kevint
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrondos View Post
Please forgive my technological ignorance in asking this question . . . with a lengthy preamble.

I have a digital camera making use of the 8Gb Eye-Fi Professional WiFi SD card. When I take a picture, the card automatically gathers information on my latitude and longitude and attaches it to the photo. It also transfers my pictures wirelessly to my computers when I'm within range. It's a great deal for about $100-$150. I love it.

Now, the question(s):

Do you think there is any chance that the Eye-Fi card could work . . . or be made to work . . . with the Entourage eDGe -- or other android devices? Or is that technologically impossible - or too difficult to make it worthwhile?
Hi,

I hope this is allowed by the forum rules. I posted a new app to the Android market to allow your Android to receive photos from an Eye-Fi card. The app is called "MoPhotos", and I think it will do what you are looking for.

Regards,
Kevin

Old 02-24-2011, 08:34 AM   #4
sarah11918
Edge User

Kevin, that's great. But our devices can't access the Android market. Can it be made available some other way?

Old 02-24-2011, 08:50 AM   #5
OncTech
Edge User

It costs $1.49. So he probably can't post the APK. But, maybe submit to SlideMe?

Eye-Fi uses Skyhook to determine location rather than true GPS, though I've never found this very reliable in my area. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by OncTech; 02-24-2011 at 08:55 AM.

Advert
Old 02-24-2011, 10:02 PM   #6
kevint
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OncTech View Post
It costs $1.49. So he probably can't post the APK. But, maybe submit to SlideMe?

Eye-Fi uses Skyhook to determine location rather than true GPS, though I've never found this very reliable in my area. Your mileage may vary.
Hi,

It will be posted on the soon-to-open Amazon Market, which should be available on more devices. We're looking into other alternatives such as GetJar.com, and I'll add SlideMe to that list.

-Kevin

Old 02-25-2011, 07:54 AM   #7
sarah11918
Edge User

I hadn't heard anything about the Amazon Market in a while! I guess it's actually going ahead. Good news for us (I hope).