Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
marekl
marekl doesn't littermarekl doesn't litter

Device: Kindle/iPad
HTML-EPUB: no justified alignment in iPad (iBooks)

Update: Please ignore the question. It was my own mistake, I overlooked the Full Justification item in iBooks settings. I'm sorry.

---------

I spent hours yet and I still haven't found solution of this justify issue:

I prepared very simple text in HTML and I want to have the common paragraphs <p> justified. So I made a CSS file with:

Code:
p {text-align: justify; text-indent: 1.1em; }
I linked the style file to Calibre terminal command (--extra-css=styles.css). It is really linked, because I see the indents in iPad iBooks viewer - but I see no justification.

Well, iBooks probably isn't able to justify text. No, it is. When I add simple <b> tag to some paragraphs to make them bold, they appear bold... and justified. Please look at picture attached. There is also HTML code which was used as source for the EPUB in the second picture - just very simple, nothing complicated.

What am I missing? Why the basic text has only left alignment and after I add bold, it will justify?

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	justify.PNG
Views:	487
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	65234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2011-01-21 at 21.36.59.png
Views:	456
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	65235  

Last edited by marekl; 01-21-2011 at 04:39 PM.
marekl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:45 PM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I only know basic HTML, but when I look at the markup, it's identical for the bold and normal paragraphs apart from the bold tags. Might this be an iBooks issue? How does the text render in other viewing programs, like the Calibre reader? What does the actual XHTML in the ePub look like for those paragraphs?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2011, 03:55 PM   #3
marekl

This is funny: If I use code text-align: right in the CSS file, all paragraphs in iBooks are correctly aligned to the right. :-)

I see all paragraphs justified in Calibre viewer.

Here is the Calibre command I use for conversion:

/usr/bin/ebook-convert aaa.html aaa.epub --output-profile=ipad --input-encoding=utf-8 --disable-font-rescaling --extra-css=styles.css --chapter="//h:h1" --chapter-mark=pagebreak --page-breaks-before="//h:h1" --author-sort="Me" --authors="Me" --comments="no comment" --language=CS --pubdate="2011 01 21" --publisher="me" --title="aaa 11" -v -v -v

The EPUB result is attached to the reply.
Attached Files
File Type: epub aaa11.epub (87.7 KB, 284 views)

Last edited by marekl; 01-21-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:16 PM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Here's a snippet of text from the ePub:
Code:
<p class="calibre3">Nulla viverra viverra odio, ut euismod arcu ultrices ut. Sed laoreet blandit turpis quis dictum. Donec rutrum tellus at nulla aliquet feugiat consectetur sem suscipit. Suspendisse non turpis mauris.</p>

<h2 class="calibre4">Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit</h2>
The relevant CSS parts are:
Code:
.calibre3 {
    display: block;
    font-weight: normal;
    margin-bottom: 1em;
    margin-left: 0;
    margin-right: 0;
    margin-top: 1em;
    text-align: justify;
    text-indent: 1.1em
    }
.calibre4 {
    font-family: sans-serif;
    font-size: 1.5em;
    font-weight: bold;
    margin-bottom: 0.83em;
    margin-top: 0.83em;
    text-align: left
    }
I notice that the bold style (calibre4) is set to align left, whereas the "normal" style (calibre3) is set to justify. Also, I note that Calibre seems to have interpreted the bold parts from the original source as being headings, which might explain the different CSS.
However, I don't know why this is so. I'd suggest you wait for someone more knowledgeable to show up.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:24 PM   #5
marekl

Hi, the .calibre4 style is used for H2 headings. The base text paragraph with bold looks like this in EPUB:

<p class="calibre3"><b class="calibre6">Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Maecenas est odio, consequat vel pretium id, vestibulum eu quam. Maecenas sed risus purus, ac blandit nisi. Aenean a tellus nisl, ullamcorper condimentum lorem. Curabitur pellentesque varius sem, at fermentum libero semper vitae.</b></p>

And the styles definitions are:

.calibre3 {
font-weight: normal;
margin-bottom: 1em;
margin-top: 1em;
text-align: justify;
text-indent: 1.1em
}

.calibre6 {
font-weight: bolder
}

Last edited by marekl; 01-21-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Advert
Old 01-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #6
marekl

I'm very sorry to disturbing you with this question. It was my own stupid mistake. There is "Full Justification" item in iBooks settings and it was switched off