Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-30-2011, 12:33 AM   #61
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
Not the webreader. The Kindle Cloud webapp. It looks like the regular app and will download books to your iPad. But you can buy books from within the app, and buy samples by clicking a button at the end of the sample.
Yeah, the Cloud Reader is pretty slick. Totally HTML5, so it doesn't appear or act like a normal webpage. It behaves just like the regular kindle apps.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:28 PM   #62
JohnGalt
Enthusiast
JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
This article , which came out in May 2011, seems prescient but says a lot that's controversial . Excerpt:

LINK

There's a lot there-books in the cloud, the end of the eink Kindle, ad-supported books. Read the article and tell me what you think of this vision of the future.
What is the obsession "the cloud?" When I pay for a file, I want a file that I can own and control. On the cloud, you own and control nothing! I make some exceptions - Netflix, for instance, which I see as pull-driven competitor to push-driven telesion media. However, the people out there looking forward to the day that they have an empty console with no onwership rights to any programs and entrust the privacy and security of their data to a third party (which the most superficial examination of the current climate on rights to privacy ought to give one pause - CISPA, for example.) People are embracing the loss of property rights and privacy in their computing, and not really gaining much of anything in the exchange. Why?
JohnGalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #63
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
What is the obsession "the cloud?" When I pay for a file, I want a file that I can own and control. On the cloud, you own and control nothing! I make some exceptions - Netflix, for instance, which I see as pull-driven competitor to push-driven telesion media. However, the people out there looking forward to the day that they have an empty console with no onwership rights to any programs and entrust the privacy and security of their data to a third party (which the most superficial examination of the current climate on rights to privacy ought to give one pause - CISPA, for example.) People are embracing the loss of property rights and privacy in their computing, and not really gaining much of anything in the exchange. Why?
I agree, when I buy something, I want custody of it. With Netflix, I'm not buying anything. I'm paying for access to a service, just like I would do if I had cable. (It ditched cable a few years ago) Books are tiny, the storage requirements are negligible, so the justification that we save space by having them on the cloud doesn't make sense.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:53 PM   #64
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Isn't all technology transitional, from one thing to something better?
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #65
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #66
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Life is transitional...
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #67
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I couldn't agree more. I've only ever bought one Steam game and I'm not going to buy another. I've had too many problems with access to what I've paid for.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:39 AM   #68
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Yes, I want the file and free and clear of DRM. But I also want to be able to keep a copy in the cloud for access by multiple devices.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:40 AM   #69
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
What happened to Stony (who started this thread)? Lose his job in this horrible economy?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:11 PM   #70
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Beyond the comfort issue of eink vs LCD, the other major benefit of the current ereaders is the battery life, you hardly have to pay attention to charging the device and the lower battery needs also result in a lighter device which again increases the comfort factor for reading.

The current ereaders may only be transitional devices, but the same is true of current tablets, things will move on from now as they always do.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #71
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
Beyond the comfort issue of eink vs LCD, the other major benefit of the current ereaders is the battery life, you hardly have to pay attention to charging the device and the lower battery needs also result in a lighter device which again increases the comfort factor for reading.

The current ereaders may only be transitional devices, but the same is true of current tablets, things will move on from now as they always do.
Yes, but I sincerely hope that the E-Ink pure (literature) reading device will remain in some form. I also have a tablet, it's nice for its uses. I quite literally never leave home without my reader, however
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #72
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Yes to the first part, but I wouldn't pre-judge the second.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote