Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-15-2008, 03:30 PM   #16
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Only thing that comes to mind is using the "Keep me logged in" option, but you're probably already trying that ....

Do you have cookies blocked, perhaps?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:52 PM   #17
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
There is a check box for keeping yourself logged in. It does require that you allow cookies. I know that I have been logged in for about 16 months now.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:35 PM   #18
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
Where, pray tell, is this magical button?

I looked in the User Control Panel, but did not find it.

I tell Firefox to de-rez my history every time I close the browser, but the issue I have is reading a thread, then switching tabs, or maybe taking a five minute phone call, and when I advance a page or attempt to post a reply, I get the "you're not logged in" notice, and all those lovely ads.

Why don't you guys like me?
;-
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 09:42 AM   #19
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The box is in the area where you enter your username and password.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:19 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I did have to log in when I went to Florida and was using Mom's laptop.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:27 PM   #21
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Karmic Ettiquette

Following close on the heels of an immense upswing in my karma-ignosity, what is the protocol after receiving such? Does one send an IM or message thanking the selfless giver, or is it gauche to point out the fact?

Guess I'm acting if the receipt of karma is treated like a tip, or is it more like when the Queen passes 'wind'?
Old 02-25-2008, 06:39 PM   #22
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Give some and see what happens!
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:48 PM   #23
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's not really a set etiquette, per se. Some folks seem to think it's only polite to acknowledge the karma bump, others don't see it that way.

Personally, I never expect any sort of response -- how do I know that the person has even noticed they can see who gave them karma in the first place?

Sometimes, I "reply" in a PM, usually I don't, it just depends on the situation, and especially what, if any, comment they add.

Speaking for myself, I most value the smaller, one and two point karma bumps from newer folks for whom I've answered a question -- knowing that they found my answer helpful enough to be worth noting that way is a much bigger deal to me than how high my actual number is. Though I'm honest enough to admit that I do enjoy seeing the number grow too.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:00 PM   #24
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
my favorite part of the karma is the "fortunes" when you hover over the blue bars. when i first discovered this, my new game was to try to find all the different ones, and i probably spent as much time hovering on people's karma to read the fortune as i did reading the posts : Patricia can load mercury with a pitchfork ! RWood makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane !! nekokami is a rising star in the heavens !!!

i was very happy the day i discovered my fortune was "zelda_pinwheel plays well with others" but one of my favorites (so far...) is NatCh's : "NatCh herds cats with both ease and grace." hee !!

but to answer the question, i have been quite touched when people have replied to me after i give them karma, it's a nice attention, so i try to do the same as well, depending (as NatCh said) on whether i notice, whether they leave a comment, etc.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:38 PM   #25
RWood
Technogeezer

I try to send a PM to the person when they give me karma. Just a quick thanks and maybe something else depending on what they wrote (if anything) in the comment box. I've gotten to know quite a few people at MR that way. To me it is a matter of respect, if they thought enough of what you did to give karma, acknowledge it and thank them for it.

As I remember it was UncleDuke that kicked off a whole new wave of karma (and "doughnut") giving about a year ago. There are days I give out no karma at all, there are other days that the system tells me that I have reached my limit for karma giving that day. (10 times in 24 hours.)

NatCh was right, it feels great to get karma from people just starting out that are thankful for your answers, it also feels great to get karma from people you respect. The short answer is that any karma feels great -- each in its own unique way.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:13 AM   #26
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I never realised that you could see who gave you karma. I only noticed that my karma went up. At first I thought it had something to do with the ammount of messages in a given period.

Indeed it is a nice idea to acknowledge the person giving it to you.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:03 PM   #27
TommyCooper
Enthusiast
TommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enough

Device: Rocket Reader, CyBook, Asus EEE PC
Blimey, I just realised that I have such a high karma to posting ratio . I know this is probably not the place, but when you're a newbee kind words are always nice to receive. So may thanks to zelda, Nate and Moonraker - not for the karma - but for the nice words. They are very much appreciated. And many thanks to this board for having such nice people - and now I would like to thank.....

Tommy
TommyCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:48 PM   #28
Cthulhu
Technologist

Have noticed that my Karmic rise has shifted from receiving it when I was boldly railing against the political system of publishers and DRM to scoring points for being terribly witty.

Either way, it is nice to be appreciated.

Where are these fortunes of which you type? Wait. Found them.

Is ones fortune a simple algorithm tied to karmic level? If it were from a random generator, that would be cute. Maybe they are not so much 'fortunes' as status levels.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:05 PM   #29
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
Is ones fortune a simple algorithm tied to karmic level? If it were from a random generator, that would be cute. Maybe they are not so much 'fortunes' as status levels.
It's a fixed list, tied to Karma score, so status level might be a bit closer.

We had a lot of fun coming up with the list (the loading mercury with a pitchfork is a personal favorite of mine -- it came from a line in a one-act play I was in in High School). The highest "level" is reached at 20k, if you want to know what it says, you'll have to work really hard. The one below it is at 10k, and you can see that one on any of Alex's entries.

And before anyone asks: what fun would it be if we just posted the list?
Old 03-19-2008, 08:27 AM   #30
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
lol, too funny! This almost reminds me of the Chuck Norris jokes that abound, especially the one about making transoceanic flights without the airplane. Oh yeah, which one of y'all is from Texas? Someone has to be judging from Wolf's status. Hilarious!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
focking, lefty