Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-02-2010, 10:47 PM   #1
richardcb
richardcb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, PC, iPhone
Amazon ebook pricing in the UK

Interesting piece about Amazon's strategy for ebooks in the UK from trade bible The Bookseller:

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/12...kindle-uk.html
richardcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:59 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Very interesting indeed. So no "Agency" pricing in the UK.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 07:17 AM   #3
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Thanks for posting that, Richard. Very interesting.

But it's not really surprising. There's no question of publishers being able to stipulate the retail prices of their ebooks. If they tried, they'd fall foul of the restrictive practices legislation.

I note the article also says: "The UK is the only market outside the United States that will have a localised Kindle store." I didn't realise that.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:28 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Amazon is very much customer-friendly. Some publishers (Amazon clients if you like, Amazon theirs if you don't) might hit the roof over what they consider another heavy-handed imposition by the behemoth. But really it is up to publishers themselves to realise that fair pricing is the key. As ebooks take ever greater and greater hold, they must not think so much in terms of their proportial slice, but the size of the pie itself.

As a small-beer publisher, I've had my spats with Amazon, and I still object to some of their client policy, but (perhaps with the exception of their buy-out of Booksurge PoD), their decisions do tend to turn out well for all involved in the long run. Amazon in particular benefits, of course, but, again, consider the size of the pie to be divided.

Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:03 AM   #5
Erinath
Shy Philosopher
Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD+ & Kindle Keyboard (wifi only)
I hope that means the UK will be getting a good deal when it comes to book prices then. Surely the overheads of an eBook are far smaller than those of a hardback or paperback.
Erinath is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 12:04 PM   #6
BVLarson
Author
BVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
I'm watching the UK store situation closely. Over the last few days, the dashboard on Amazon DTP has changed. They list now an option that says: "see your book in the US storefront" instead of just "storefront". This indicates to me that they plan to allow authors/pubs a single click to get to the second storefront, the UK version. I've not heard anything about pricing, but hope to have some control over it. My low prices generate most of my sales, IMHO.
-BVL
BVLarson is offline   Reply With Quote