Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-23-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
Screen protector

I have just acquired a new prs-300, a bit of clumsiness on my part having done for the screen on my lovely 505.

I had a screen protector on my 505, which was really good because it was of a matte finish and so gave no added glare or reflection. However, I cannot remember the make and all my searching on the net for a screen protector for the 300 has not revealed a "made to fit" type which I can be sure is of a matte finish (my partner has a screen protector on her 505 which I think is horrible - crystal clear but reflects badly at certain angles).

Can anyone recommend a good matte, made to fit screen protector for the 300?
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Sorry I can't help here, but from my experience, with the folding cover of the 505, I never even thought of using a screen protector. So if you use a case for the 300, why would you desperately want a screen protector? If you don't want to use a case, then I can certainly understand your demand to protect the screen.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
Mike - It was getting scratches on the 505 from reading on a windy, sandy beach which prompted acquiring the screen protector for the 505.

So, I was just looking to be safe rather than sorry later.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:00 AM   #4
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Hey, I didn't think of that. The time I spent in the US, this would probably have been useful for me, too. But here, the next beach is about 5-7 hours away. So the cover suffices.

But I can see your point
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:20 PM   #5
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
I received a better than average screen protector with my charger and case kit on Amazon, but did NOT bother to use it.

The reason is simple, screen protectors for the PRS-350/650/950 are a really, really, really, BAD, idea.

Unlike some of Sony's previous models, all of the current models screens already have a nice glare resistant anti reflection surface texture, so there is no advantage there, and in most situations, when comes to protecting your readers screen, these thin film screen protectors are not only useless, they are WORSE THAN USELESS.

The PRS touch reader series all use a tough mineral glass type screen material that is damn near impervious to scratches, and the IR touch screen is a zero-pressure technology.

Technically you don't even have to touch the screen at all, much less apply any pressure for your input to register, you just have to approach to within a few thousandths of an inch above the screen's surface where the crisscrossing beams of IR light form the sensing grid.

Try to avoid using your diamond engagement ring as a stylus, or changing pages with a sandblaster, and scratches should not be an issue.

What these e-ink screens don't like is impact, or pressure.

The kind of pressure, for example, that some well meaning fool is likely to apply trying to eliminate all those pesky bubbles while applying their spiffy nifty screen protector film.

That's why I say these thin film screen protectors are worse than useless for most people, because not only will they do almost NOTHING to help protect your readers screen, but you could end up destroying your reader in the process of installing one.

Last edited by delphin; 02-05-2011 at 05:44 PM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
screen protector, sony prs-303