Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-20-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Do you recommend Darrell Bain? Which books?

I went to the dentist today for the third time this week and am feeling the need to reward myself Fictionwise is still having an SF sale, I have already plundered most of the good multiformat reads, and I am considering a few books by Darrell Bain. My sole exposure to is work thus far has been the excerpts on Fictionwise and a chapter or two of some Vietnam story that I read on my sister's Clie last time I visited her.

So, is he any good? Worth $3.50 a novel? Or should I get an Asimovs subscription instead?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:13 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
To ME, a GIRL, I'm not that into his books. Human by Choice was OK, but nothing to recommend. His books seem to target the horny young male audience.

HOWEVER: Buy some of his short stories at Fictionwise. Buy as many of his short stories as they sell. Go to Asimov's website and see what you find of his work there.

The man is a brilliant short story writer, and worthy of all of the acclaim he has received.

His diverse short stories and non-fiction articles about the art of scifi writing put me in mind of Robert Silverberg, who is a scifi god.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2009, 03:41 PM   #3
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I have pretty much everything that he's written that is on Fictionwise. The Strange Valley books are really good.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:42 PM   #4
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
To ME, a GIRL, I'm not that into his books. Human by Choice was OK, but nothing to recommend. His books seem to target the horny young male audience.
I'm a BOY but I didn't find his writing all that good. Bought one book, can't remember which now, started it, never finished it. However, I didn't find that he was targeting the "horny young male audience." I just found his writing very mediocre.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:00 PM   #5
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I have pretty much everything that he's written that is on Fictionwise. The Strange Valley books are really good.
I concur & for a good laugh, you might try "Bigfoot Crazy". I especially liked the "Attack Chihuahua" in it.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2009, 06:13 AM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
He has written an excellent review 'My 100 Most Readable Science Fiction Books' which I got from Double Dragon ebooks. I don't agree with him entirely, but still found the book very interesting.

regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote