Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-02-2011, 09:34 AM   #16
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
I keep mine in a ziplock baggie & hang it from a caribiner on my bag. Thats safe right?
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:06 AM   #17
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantum View Post
In January of 2011 I patchiest a Kindle.

Tantum
What did you patch it with? If you used hot glue or rivets to apply the patch, that probably wrecked the screen.... Sorry, not constructive, but I couldn't resist...

What others have said - the eInk screen is somewhat delicate and the Kindle needs a protective case, despite those foolish Amazon ads that showed users tossing the "naked" Kindle in a drawer full of sharp objects, or stuffing it in a back pocket. Carrying it loose in a backpack, flexing/bending the unit or tossing it about is not recommended and will break the screen.

I've had my Kindle since January of 2011 as well and have had no screen issues, but it has always been in a case. I actually managed to drop my Kindle on a hardwood floor; it was in my Oberon leather case and survived the fall with no harm done. It would definitely have been ruined if the case had not been on it.

If you are perfectly happy with the beBook then you are set; otherwise, try the Kindle one more time after investing in a good case.

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 11:10 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakIris View Post
I actually managed to drop my Kindle on a hardwood floor; it was in my Oberon leather case and survived the fall with no harm done. It would definitely have been ruined if the case had not been on it.
A few weeks ago I was out for the day and balanced my Kindle on a 4' high wall while I was doing something with my camera. It fell off, onto a stone pavement, landed on its edge (in its case) and bounced. I was certain it was done for, but when I picked it up and opened it, there was a 1mm chip in the top edge, but it was otherwise unharmed. I think the case must have absorbed most of the impact, even though the exposed edge of the Kindle obviously still struck the ground.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:41 AM   #19
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
OK, I'll fess up

about 2 weeks ago I was at the dentist with my wife, I first knocked over my water bottle
and while grabbing for it I knocked my kindle right into the water puddle face down.

I was lucky and it did not break
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote