Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which category shall we use for February in 2013?
ModernLit 8 21.05%
Romance 16 42.11%
Classics 15 39.47%
YoungAdult 11 28.95%
Adventure/Travel 11 28.95%
Free-for-all 13 34.21%
MajorAwardWinners 9 23.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2012, 10:10 PM   #46
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Other than the hope of Horror winning for October (even though I probably won't read it as I don't like scary), with January & February decided "perfectly" (IMO), its going to be fun to see what else we decide for the rest of the year. Will we keep Thriller/Suspense in March or will we have an entirely new category like Major Award winners?

I personally liked the old lineup, EXCEPT for there being two months designated to Classics. I also think, however, that it will be cool to have something brand spanking new.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #47
Bookatarian
Zealot
Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I know it is not the nomination thread, but this would be a great read--if it were available in an eBook. Restoree is classic, romance, and sci-fi all rolled into one....an early work by a wonderful author and something many would never pick up on their own. I have a paper copy and found it fun, a little heavy handed on the female lead, but overall really a good read. Now to put my mind to thinking up real nominees for February.

Edit: It is! http://www.amazon.com/Restoree-ebook...ref=kinw_dp_ke

Last edited by Bookatarian; 12-01-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Bookatarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:44 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Other than the hope of Horror winning for October (even though I probably won't read it as I don't like scary)
You have nothing to worry about. NONE of the books chosen for horror have actually be even a little bit scary. It seems most people are more interested in short or free or cheap then actually scarey (at least for horror).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:06 PM   #49
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Unfortunately, Gone With the Wind has already indeed been a MobileRead Book Club selection and is therefore ineligible for future consideration.
Thought as much. One day I'll read it, just not for book club.

I did look through my collection at books with a Romance tag added and there were a couple there that piqued my curiosity. Not all of them were indie either.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #50
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Thought as much. One day I'll read it, just not for book club.

I did look through my collection at books with a Romance tag added and there were a couple there that piqued my curiosity. Not all of them were indie either.
I don't see "Indie" as a negative. I think, for the purpose of this BC, it should be defined, though. For instance, does Indie = Self Published, or Small House published? What constitutes a small house?
Old 12-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #51
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I don't see "Indie" as a negative. I think, for the purpose of this BC, it should be defined, though. For instance, does Indie = Self Published, or Small House published? What constitutes a small house?
Sorry - didn't mean it as a negative, just a small jest. I've been pushing indie a bit in these category nominations.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:57 AM   #52
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You have nothing to worry about. NONE of the books chosen for horror have actually be even a little bit scary. It seems most people are more interested in short or free or cheap then actually scarey (at least for horror).
I guess it depends on what one finds frightening or horrifying in a book. Personally I find it impossible to be much frightened or horrified by imaginary things I know can't exist or can't happen. Thus I would find such stories as A Good Man Is Hard to Find or Good Country People by Flannery O'Conner more effective at this. It could even be non-fiction, say In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. I find the knowledge that people like Richard Hickock and Perry Smith really exist out there more frightening and horrifying than any book about vampires, witches, ghosties, . . .
Old 12-03-2012, 08:02 AM   #53
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
I guess it depends on what one finds frightening or horrifying in a book. Personally I find it impossible to be much frightened or horrified by imaginary things I know can't exist or can't happen. Thus I would find such stories as A Good Man Is Hard to Find or Good Country People by Flannery O'Conner more effective at this. It could even be non-fiction, say In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. I find the knowledge that people like Richard Hickock and Perry Smith really exist out there more frightening and horrifying than any book about vampires, witches, ghosties, . . .
I am similar. I enjoy vampires, witches and ghosts..its humans and their cruelty that frightens me.