Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-18-2011, 06:15 PM   #31
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowi View Post
Not love at first sight for me. Last night I cancelled my cover order thinking today I'd return it, but then I changed my mind - reordered the cover. I'm right on this side of the fence. Maybe as I learn more about it, it'll grow on me.

One of my main issues with it is web browsing and it being slow/unresponsive and stuttery - compared to my iPad. I love that is has flash so DD can play things like starfall.com - BUT then the screen is pretty small for that - can't figure out how to get a true full screen - and when she tries to touch things and move them, it's just not overly responsive, IMO. A lot of misses - and for a 3-year-old, the attention span doesn't make room for many of those before she gets frustrated.

We'll see, though.

Edited to add: I realize the iPad is $300 more - but the "Silk" browser was heavily pushed and I had faith that it was going to be "Smooth" (like Silk) ... I don't see it.
I use Opera Mini.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:23 PM   #32
Carmelreader
Groupie
Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, kindle HDX 8.9, ipad pro, ipad mini 2, Voyage, Oasis 2
I am quite pleased with it. Have an iPad which I love, but this smaller size is just right for reading, audible books, knitting patterns (pdf) which worked amazingly well, and my favorite use of the moment, BBC iplayer radio which I can't access on the iPad because the website needs flash. So I would give it a 10. And the screen is absolutely gorgeous!
Carmelreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:26 PM   #33
SamL
I mess around with Epubs
SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: mac, ipad, nook, kindle
I'm at about a 7.5 out of 10. For the price, its a great deal. I'm just a bit disappointed with the cloud storage being no more then just online storage. I totality thought it would connect with my Fire and eliminate the need for a USB connection.
SamL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:38 PM   #34
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamL View Post
I'm at about a 7.5 out of 10. For the price, its a great deal. I'm just a bit disappointed with the cloud storage being no more then just online storage. I totality thought it would connect with my Fire and eliminate the need for a USB connection.
If you have WiFi you don't need to use USB you can use ES File Explorer or WiFi File Explorer to access any PC on your network.

ES File Explorer has a LAN feature and WiFi File Explorer let you browse your Fire from any browser connected to your network. I'll never use the USB cable again.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:20 PM   #35
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:24 PM   #36
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Now why do you want Win 3.1 on your Fire?
Old 11-18-2011, 07:31 PM   #37
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Because I can. . Nah, I just find it very fun.

I'm going to try the Mac emulator too.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:01 AM   #38
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I almost forgot how that looked.

I used to like a game called Cruel.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:46 PM   #39
Tanzaku
Enthusiast
Tanzaku doesn't litterTanzaku doesn't litterTanzaku doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle 3
I've always been reluctant to criticize a new product for what it won't do. It's a bit of a straw man argument. My MP3 player won't load the dishwasher, so therefore . . .

True, the Fire is not a tablet, but my iPad and my Transformer are not a netbook, and my netbook is not as capable as my desktop, etc. For what the Fire is and was intended to do, I'd give it a solid 9.9*.

Yesterday I watched 2 episodes of Voyager (Amazon prime) and an episode of Mad Men (Netflix) and they were flawless. I read for an hour using Mantano (sideloaded). I checked my email using Touchdown synced to my Exchange server. I listened to some music both from the Cloud Drive and from the local device. I played a little gin rummy (and was trounced), surfed the web, looked at some downloaded PDFs, made a few notes in Evernote which successfully synced to my other devices, listened to a couple chapters of an Audible book, and checked out a book from the Amazon.com Kindle library. Not bad for $199 and only 65% of its battery capacity.

As to Skype, this occurs to me: How many of us are single device users? For example, I always have my phone with me — currently an Atrix 4G smartphone. I use it for Skype, too. Why would i need to use the Fire? I also use the Atrix for podcasts (via BeyondPod) because I find it easier to carry with me all the time. I won't use the Fire for podcasts, although I could. I also use my phone for voice notes, alarms, and text messaging — none of which I'll do on the Fire. I won't use my phone to watch movies or surf the web, though technically I could. At the other end of the spectrum, when I travel I almost always take my Sony netbook because it runs Adobe Lightroom and I can do remote desktop computing with my computer back home. Multiple devices to provide a variety of tech-intensive needs. I have no doubt that the Fire will have a place in this panoply. I'm not so sure about the iPad and Transformer which may very well find themselves warming the back bench and gathering dust in favor of the smaller, more portable, quite capable, and handy Fire.

* Loses 0.1 points because I can't seem figure out how to play MP3 links from the browser nor download them; I would use bluetooth headphones if the Fire had bluetooth capabilities; poorly positioned on/off switch; and it won't load the dishwasher.
Tanzaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:59 PM   #40
eboyhan
PandaMuse
eboyhan doesn't littereboyhan doesn't litter

Device: kindle dx, kindle touch SO, kindle fire, kindle fire hd8.9
Right now with about a day and a half of usage, I'd give it an 8. It will be a complement to my KDX and the KT (which hasn't arrived yet). As a book reader it's not quite as good as the KDX (not having collections is my biggest ding here).

OTOH the browser and email functionality are way better than the KDX's , and somewhat better than my Android phone.

I haven't tried videos, music, personal documents, read it later, send to kindle, etc. -- so my rating might go up (or down :-) ) depending on what I learn.

Since I'm coming from a long kindle experience, I find a lot of conventions to be familiar, which might not be so readily apparent to completely new-to-kindle users.
eboyhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:58 PM   #41
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

After using it all last night I have to say I am very happy. I watched Lisa's MobileTechReview on the Kindle Touch from YouTube then I was posting here from the Fire and then I read on the Kindle app for a bit using Sepia that SCION so dislikes. After awhile the text look black to me instead of brown.

I have to use Screen Filter the whole time as it's way too bright but with that app it's manageable with lights on. Lights off I am still trying find a way to use the Kindle app it's too bright.

I ran the battery to 23% after heavy use. That's 16 hours and it was used alot yesterday in those 16 hours. If you keep WiFi off when not in use it last a long time that battery is amazing! Out performs my netbook's 9 hour battery hands down.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #42
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
If you have WiFi you don't need to use USB you can use ES File Explorer or WiFi File Explorer to access any PC on your network.

ES File Explorer has a LAN feature and WiFi File Explorer let you browse your Fire from any browser connected to your network. I'll never use the USB cable again.
I can't get my fire to connect with ES file explorer
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:13 PM   #43
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
I can't get my fire to connect with ES file explorer
Do you have File sharing enabled for other PCs if so it's as easy as entering the IP address of your PC or doing a scan. If not make sure you enable it and on your firewall.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #44
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Yes, yes, and yes. I even turned my firewall completely off
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:42 PM   #45
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
Yes, yes, and yes. I even turned my firewall completely off

Okay does your router have a built in firewall?