Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-15-2013, 05:57 AM   #1
M.T. Miles
Enthusiast
M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
New punctations marks we all need to brush up on

I found this article amusing and thought I'd share it. http://www.collegehumor.com/article/...nctuation-mark...
M.T. Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:03 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
See the jokes thread.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2013, 10:32 AM   #3
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I admit the Morgan Freemark was amusing, prompting the reader to hear the text in Morgan Freeman's voice.

The Andorperspand, combining the ampersand, does illustrate a clumsiness of how English handles logic. "Or" can be vague because it can mean picking ONLY one or it can mean one or both. Similarly "if" can be vague, because it's not always clear if it means if or "if and only if." I've seen people write "iff" for "iff and only if," but the problem with that is how would you pronounce it?
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I admit the Morgan Freemark was amusing, prompting the reader to hear the text in Morgan Freeman's voice.

The Andorperspand, combining the ampersand, does illustrate a clumsiness of how English handles logic. "Or" can be vague because it can mean picking ONLY one or it can mean one or both. Similarly "if" can be vague, because it's not always clear if it means if or "if and only if." I've seen people write "iff" for "iff and only if," but the problem with that is how would you pronounce it?
English is imprecise. I think that in general, English uses 'or' in the sense of 'exclusive-or', which is why an 'and/or' construction is required for the other meaning.

'If' generally does not mean 'if-and-only-if', which is why mathematicians often abbreviate the latter to iff (pronounced "if and only if") as it's a lot quicker to write!
Old 05-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Love it!

But if they have one for and/or, then I want one for s/he aka "he or she" . I do some technical writing and "he or she" is so clunky!

eP

Edit: I found a symbol for it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tr...ual_symbol.svg
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Love it!

But if they have one for and/or, then I want one for s/he aka "he or she" . I do some technical writing and "he or she" is so clunky!
I use the singular "they".
Old 05-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #7
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I use the singular "they".
I would use that in speech and in an email, and I understand that language evolves and I hope this becomes standard... but... in a real document for distribution, I just can't do it. It's wrong.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
I would use that in speech and in an email, and I understand that language evolves and I hope this becomes standard... but... in a real document for distribution, I just can't do it. It's wrong.
If the plural you can turn singular and supplant thou, I see no reason why they can't become singular too.

It's already correct, and of long-standing, in some contexts. E.g. "I would have everybody marry if they can do it properly." — Austen, Mansfield Park

But I agree that it still sounds odd in some circumstances.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #9
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:

eP
That's why most technical documents are written in the second person "[you] do this..."
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #10
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
"Today" used to be written as "to-day", so perhaps "and/or" might someday evolve to be "andor".
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:42 AM   #11
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
"Today" used to be written as "to-day", so perhaps "and/or" might someday evolve to be "andor".
Would that mean that it would be replaced by a small picture of an ewok?
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote