Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-26-2010, 04:19 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphinome View Post
it is almost as if the rules around airports and airplanes are just pulled out of thin air and serve no real purpose.
The reason for the rule is because of the way that mobile (cell) phones work; when they lose contact with a base station they increase their transmitter power in an attempt to reconnect - you've probably notice that if, for example, you're on a ship and out of contact with the network, your phone's battery will run flat very quickly. Imagine a plane with 400 phones on board, all transmitting a maximum power to attempt to contact a base station - that's a considerable amount of electrical interference to deal with.

Many European airlines do now permit mobile phones on board, and the way that they work is to have a base station on the aircraft itself, hence all the phones are working at minimum power, and there isn't the interference problem.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:09 AM   #17
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Yes--they mean turn it all the way off, not to sleep mode.

For my smartphone, I turn it to airplane mode, then turn it off. If I turn it on during the flight to use apps, it will already be in airplane mode.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2010, 05:30 AM   #18
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soph94 View Post
Hi, just wondering what people's experiences are using ebook readers on aeroplanes? We're usually told (well in Aus anyway) not to use any MP3 players/electronics during takeoff and landing, and just wondering if ebook readers are generally classed in that category?
Ebook reader qualifies as an electronic device. Therefore more likely than not you'll be asked to turn it off.
I always turn my off. After all, they do ask nicely
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:32 AM   #19
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
When they say "turn it off", they mean "turn it off". ie, in the case of the Sony, slide and hold the power switch until you see the "Shutdown" question. Again with the Kindle, slide and hold the power switch for 5s.
Then I cheat. I only put my PRS-900 to sleep mode. Mind you Wireless is switched off always.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:43 AM   #20
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
I've got an IRX 800s. I avoid reading on take-off and landing so as to avoid arguments with the cabin staff, but it sits there my lap ready for the seat-belt light to go off - impossible to switch off.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2010, 06:06 AM   #21
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Bah! I don't turn off my mp3 player >_> I just get the earphones off. As for the e-reader, yeah I have to stash it lest I be arrested for trying to bomb a plane with my sony reader. I just don't know why don't they isolate the cockpit against signals comming from the back or just the passenger area... whatever... it just pisses me off!

GJMS
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:22 AM   #22
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanlin V3 (LBook), GS3
I turn my off. It's a rule after all, even if it's a bit inconvenient. Since the companies actually want you to travel with them, I'm sure they don't make such restrictions up just because. Or at least I hope so. + Landing and take off are about 10 min each - perfect time to look through the plane magazine.
LCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:14 AM   #23
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCF View Post
I turn my off. It's a rule after all, even if it's a bit inconvenient. Since the companies actually want you to travel with them, I'm sure they don't make such restrictions up just because. Or at least I hope so. + Landing and take off are about 10 min each - perfect time to look through the plane magazine.
Of course no industry would ever be hostile to their customers.
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:27 AM   #24
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The reason for the rule is because of the way that mobile (cell) phones work; when they lose contact with a base station they increase their transmitter power in an attempt to reconnect - you've probably notice that if, for example, you're on a ship and out of contact with the network, your phone's battery will run flat very quickly. Imagine a plane with 400 phones on board, all transmitting a maximum power to attempt to contact a base station - that's a considerable amount of electrical interference to deal with.
Are planes really that sensitive??? I've seen designs for EM pulse weapons to be used against the electronics on planes - they're not small weapons and usually involve super magnets, liquid nitrogen and large lumps of metal fired by explosives. The idea of 400 phones bringing a plane down seems odd to me. Do passenger planes send signals via wires or fibre optics? I'm guessing that fibre optics aren't affected at all. Also aren't planes built to withstand lightening strikes and surely these are a smidgen more powerful than a few phones.

I'm pretty sure the numbers for those forgetting to turn their phones off are much higher than 1:1000 as I've done it myself a few times Perhaps I should thank my lucky stars that the plane stayed in the air.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:39 AM   #25
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite View Post
Are planes really that sensitive??? I've seen designs for EM pulse weapons to be used against the electronics on planes - they're not small weapons and usually involve super magnets, liquid nitrogen and large lumps of metal fired by explosives.
Distance would matter I imagine.
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:44 AM   #26
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
When travelling earlier this year, I brought my Kindle both times. Current rules seem to be no headphones wearable during take-off/landing (but ear buds are explicitly ok); and no reading allowed (you're asked to put your books and magazines away) -- maybe in the event of a lurch someone might get banged by the latest Jeffrey Archer or a particularly deadly edition of Hello Magazine. Anyway, the Kindle was treated just like a book, so I had no issues. (And what a treat to have several choices to read instead of just the one paperback I used to have handy.)

The Blackberry, that I turn off completely once inside the cabin and back on again once inside the arrival airport terminal (usually while waiting to grab the luggage).
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:52 AM   #27
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
>.> Taking my source of amusement away from me is a bad idea on commercial jets, they give me earaches like no other. Plus I'm scared of heights. Ahem.

I doubt it's going to do anything to the plane to have a reader on there, especially if you have wi-fi/3g/etc turned off... but you should so as the stewardess says, if they really want it off or away until you're in the air. Saves a fuss.

Last edited by nashira; 06-26-2010 at 10:12 AM.
nashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:04 AM   #28
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I know for a while after the Underwear Bomber, they weren't allowing people to have anything in their laps during takeoff or landing, fearing these objects might be hiding another undie-bomb. (I make no comment on the possibilities, I just report facts here.) I think that's stopped, though.

I can see no headphones, because you can't hear the emergency instructions or announcements if there is a problem. But I have noise-cancelling earbuds which pretty much cut out all the announcements as well as the noise of the airplane, so I don't see why earbuds would be allowed.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:40 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite View Post
Also aren't planes built to withstand lightening strikes and surely these are a smidgen more powerful than a few phones.
Look up "Faraday cage". The charge from a lightening strike flows over the outside skin of the aircraft and doesn't penetrate it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:52 AM   #30
A_J_Lath
Zealot
A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Computer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
...maybe in the event of a lurch someone might get banged by the latest Jeffrey Archer or a particularly deadly edition of Hello Magazine...
God, what a way to go, eh? Almost as bad as getting knocked down by a Citroen 2CV being driven by a man who wears socks and open-toes sandals at the same time.
A_J_Lath is offline   Reply With Quote