Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-27-2018, 07:56 AM   #46
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
To be not-quite-pedantic: That depends on the local laws. If terms and conditions violate local laws, laws take precedence.

Norwegian law is extremely unclear. It's illegal to circumvent "effective" DRM measures, unless it's done to be able to use a legally aquired work on what's commonly considered relevant equipment. So noone really knows if DRM for books is "effective" or so trivial that the law doesn't apply, and noone knows if it's a common opinion that you should be able to read epub books on a Kindle or Amazon books on a non-Kindle.

(Law in Norwegian: https://lovdata.no/lov/2018-06-15-40/§99 )
Oh, "shrinkwrap" and "click-wrap" licenses, which what TOS are, have been found to be unenforceable in some cases in the US. And enforceable in others.

Seems to be case by case basis. In the US, where fair use is a valid affirmative defense there has been no push to clarify those matters. In other locations without a general fair use doctrine specific laws are required.

Murkiness has its uses.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 03:19 AM   #47
Heqian_Yanqiu
Heqian_Yanqiu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Thank you for the clarification. I'm always worried about being thrown off the site if I join in a discussion of this type. Harry once ticked me off for casually mentioning that I was reading a Wodehouse novel which had been a freebie. I'd downloaded it from MR before the rules were changed and I genuinely thought it was in the UK public domain, not having researched the date of Wodehouse's death. Since then, I avoid the subject.

I just wanted to point out to the OP that Amazon often charge for public domain ebooks.
Actually, a very good portion is available on Amazon for free, though these are often rather 'hidden'. In fact Amazon has a series called AmazonClassics which are classics for free, made by Amazon (so wordswise and etc. work perfectly). The selection is limited, however.

Also, it is not Amazon charging but the publisher/author. The publisher/author chooses the price and Amazon gets a cut out of each sale
Heqian_Yanqiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2018, 03:21 AM   #48
Heqian_Yanqiu
Heqian_Yanqiu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
From a purely self-interested point of view, buying the Kindle version of a book gives me:

- Immediate downloadability on any of my kindle apps and devices
- An automatic download to my main kindle
- The book stays on my account, so essentially free cloud storage
- Updates, if the book is revised

I guess, generally, convenience. I very rarely bother to switch on my PC these days, so don't really want too many books managed by Calibre, and too much having to update via USB, or whatever.

Further to that, a purchase:

- Supports the author, encouraging the production of further books and updates
- Supports the publisher, encouraging the production of further books and updates
- Supports Amazon, encouraging them to continue producing kindles and improving the store
- Does not support crooks and/or parasites on download sites (Who is running these sites? Are they getting ad revenue? Why should they benefit from creative work they didn't do?)
- Shares the load with other purchasers. (When you pirate a book, you are basically freeloading on the backs of the people who pay. The people who pay are the reason the book exists. Why should they subsidise you?)

That's mainly why I would choose to buy a book rather than pirate it. If I feel I don't want to pay the asking price, then I don't read it. Legitimately free books are a different question, of course.
Amazon provides an email for your kindle, you can just send the .mobi file to the address and it will be sent to your kindle. This is do-able on some phones too.
Heqian_Yanqiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:30 AM   #49
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
I would add to the enumeration of the benefits of buying a Kindle book syncing reading position both across devices and with an Audible Audiobook, and of course on some books a very attractive price on also purchasing the Audiobook. Sometimes as little as $1.99.

Completely independent of the topic of this thread: I love the cheap audible "add on" to ebooks. And it is kinda cool to read or listen to a book..back and forth...as desired.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 03:16 PM   #50
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Completely independent of the topic of this thread: I love the cheap audible "add on" to ebooks. And it is kinda cool to read or listen to a book..back and forth...as desired.
I've bought a number of cheap audiobooks this way, but I can't say I've ever tried reading along, or go back and forth. It's just never really appealed to me.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2018, 08:58 PM   #51
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
I do sometimes switch between reading and listening. Sometimes its nice to set the sleep timer to 30 minutes or an hour and go to sleep listening to the Audiobook, then resume reading the next morning over coffee!
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:49 AM   #52
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I prefer to listen to one book and read a different one. Right now I am listening to March Up Country by Ringo and Weber. I am just finishing up Combat Ineffective by William Peter Grasso. Since I purchased an Audible Membership that gives me 4 free books I am planning to get the other three Empire of Man books and listen to them.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 12:20 PM   #53
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I prefer to listen to one book and read a different one. Right now I am listening to March Up Country by Ringo and Weber. I am just finishing up Combat Ineffective by William Peter Grasso. Since I purchased an Audible Membership that gives me 4 free books I am planning to get the other three Empire of Man books and listen to them.
Apache

When I first read this I thought you meant that you listen to one book and read another simultaneously. You don't, do you?

Last edited by BookCat; 12-02-2018 at 06:42 AM.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 12:52 PM   #54
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
When I first read this I thought you meant that you listen to one book and listen to another simultaneously. You don't, do you?
I am not that coordinated.
When reading I am oblivious to anything around me. I would not even know the audiobook was playing.
Apache
Old 12-02-2018, 06:45 AM   #55
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I am not that coordinated.
When reading I am oblivious to anything around me. I would not even know the audiobook was playing.
Apache
It's good to know that you're human.

I made and error in my post; I meant listen to one book while reading another. I've corrected it.
Silly me!
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:33 AM   #56
Apache
Readaholic

It is an easy mistake to make considering the way I wrote it makes it sound like I did them together.
Apache
Old 12-06-2018, 12:08 AM   #57
vikarti
Groupie
vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divinejames View Post
I'm absolutely all for that, but could anyone please explain other benefits to purchasing the Kindle version vs using a free or pirated version other than the obvious legality/moral issues?
- Whispersync work better and on all devices (including Kindle4PC/Kindle4Mac/Web reader).
- Book doesn't count in 5 Gb Amazon's 'Personal Documents' limit.
- You can (usually) buy audible version and use 2 versions together for 'Immersive reading'(Kindle app for Android/iOS will highlight sentences as it reads)
- Audible versions of Kindle books you bought are sometimes much cheaper.
- Kindle/Goodreads integration works much better for books you bought in Kindle Store so you can change reading status, update progress, review right on device.
vikarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:39 AM   #58
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikarti View Post
- Kindle/Goodreads integration works much better for books you bought in Kindle Store so you can change reading status, update progress, review right on device.
How does it work better? I buy my books from Amazon, but don't read on a Kindle, so I'm not aware.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:47 AM   #59
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divinejames View Post
but could anyone please explain other benefits to purchasing the Kindle version vs using a free or pirated version other than the obvious legality/moral issues?
Not having to waste a lot of time imagining new piracy-justification excuses that no one else was really going to buy anyway.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:02 PM   #60
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Not having to waste a lot of time imagining new piracy-justification excuses that no one else was really going to buy anyway.
I don't think most people pirating material worry about justification of it. They just do it.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote