Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-02-2006, 08:25 AM   #1
ali
Addict
ali doesn't litterali doesn't litter

Device: Iliad, dude!
Anybody in Frankfurt?

iRex announced to be at the Frankfurter Buchmesse (starting this wednesday). That could be a chance to talk to them in person and get some answers about the Iliad's future and their business plans. Or to just kick 'em in the nuts.

Anybody of us there?
ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:13 AM   #2
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Frankfurt isn't too far away, but I'm afraid I won't be able to visit the Buchmesse...but it's interesting to know that they are there...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2006, 09:27 AM   #3
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali
Or to just kick 'em in the nuts.
I realise you are disappointed with the Illiad, but is this attitude really necessary...? Have you tried contacting Irex directly, or even putting it on Ebay to recoup your losses...?
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:49 AM   #4
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali
Quote:
Originally Posted by jęd
I realise you are disappointed with the Illiad, but is this attitude really necessary...? Have you tried contacting Irex directly, or even putting it on Ebay to recoup your losses...?
I can't speak of course for ali: he has forgotten a smiley, because it is obvious, that it is meant in an ironc way.

[Edit]: Frankfurter Buchmesse [Germany's greatest book fair]

Last edited by yokos; 10-02-2006 at 09:53 AM. Reason: hyperlink
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:52 AM   #5
ali
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jęd
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali
I realise you are disappointed with the Illiad, but is this attitude really necessary...?
Attitude? What attitude? Let me get this straight: I do not endorse physical violence against iRex employees, or against other living beings in general. The quoted sentence is a particular kind of humorous figure, whose correct name elapses me.

The humor-free version of my proposal would be:
It would be good if someone from this community, at best one of the programmers, would show up there and start a face-to-face conversation with some iRex employee. Chances are even one we know is there, like karel or Angel. That could give us some insight on future plans, especially the Iliad's future, and some statement on the open software issues, because "just don't reply" is hard in a spoken discussion. It would also be interesting to tell them about the frustration and negative mouth-propaganda they cause by their current activities and non-activities. Under optimal circumstances, it might even be possible to convince somebody that supporting user developments instead of keeping them down might be good for iRex in the long run.

But, frankly, I'd be bored to death by reading that statement. And other people with a twisted humor like my one will understand what I mean.

(Read Pratchett, I love his repeated usage of this figure. Oh, and while we're at it: But that sort of thing was wasted on Detritus. He treated humour as some human aberration which had to be overcome by talking slowly and patiently. From "Thud!"; no pun intended; proper placement of "scnr", humor bracketing and smileys to be envisaged by the reader)

Last edited by ali; 10-02-2006 at 09:54 AM.
Advert
Old 10-02-2006, 09:56 AM   #6
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Hmm, i would go there, but i didnt see any hint, that they are present at the book fair. (Well, maybe someone from irex will be there, as a visitor )
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:59 AM   #7
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
@ ali: I tried "Quick Search" for iRex, but I can't find them. They are not listed there, I tried Suhrkamp for test purpose & found them.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:01 AM   #8
ali
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokos
@ ali: I tried "Quick Search" for iRex, but I can't find them. They are not listed there, I tried Suhrkamp for test purpose & found them.
They may be listed under a different name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.irextechnologies.com
You can find us among the Dutch Publishers in Hall 6.0, Stand A959.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:15 AM   #9
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali
But, frankly, I'd be bored to death by reading that statement. And other people with a twisted humor like my one will understand what I mean.
Perhaps worth remembering that is an international forum. Not everyone will share your sense of humour, or have such a good understanding of English to know that it is supposed to be ironic...!
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:24 AM   #10
ali
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jęd
Perhaps worth remembering that is an international forum. Not everyone will share your sense of humour, or have such a good understanding of English to know that it is supposed to be ironic...!
Probably. But people who don't get my humor will just think I'm an idiot. So I'm doing harm only to myself. I can live with that. But I can't live with having to put disclaimers/smileys everywhere just so everybody understands this isn't to be taken seriously. This is like newspapers (or supermarket flyers) that write "ATTENTION SATIRE! WAAH DO NOT READ IF YOU DONT UNDERSTAND HUMOR" in fat bold letters over everything that might offend somebody. *shudder*
Old 10-02-2006, 11:31 AM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I thought it was funny, but my humor qualifies as twisted too!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:34 AM   #12
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
I thought it was funny, but my humor qualifies as twisted too!
Since you are from Texas that is a given
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:45 AM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageReader
Since you are from Texas that is a given
Yup, I recon'.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:54 AM   #14
pdam
Groupie
pdam doesn't litterpdam doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, iPaq, Psion5&7, Blackberry
I did contact iRex - they are at the fair ... but don't have a stand, so I have no idea how you'd find them unless you already had a meeting set up.

I'm there as a visitor for a couple of days, I'll let you know if I bump into them :-)
pdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:57 AM   #15
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Ahh Frankfurt is my second home town, and I am in Frankfurt right now. But I have to leave again tomorrow, so that's bad luck for me ;(
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote