Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-10-2008, 08:13 PM   #31
zenli
zenli doesn't litterzenli doesn't litterzenli doesn't litter

Device: Palm Tungsten E, iPod Touch, Sony 300, Sony 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
eReader is one of the PDB formats so it depends on which one you are trying to open (See PDB in the wiki). eReader can read its own file format and PalmDOC format but not text.

Dale
Thanks, Dale. I just tried it on a Palm PDB, it works.

Naturally, the next question is: does the eReader for iPod Touch work for Palm PDB as well?

From what I read so far, it looks like the eReader app only sync with the ereader/fictionwise library online. Is that right? Does that also mean that eReader only works when iPod touch can get on wi-fi?

Thanks in advance to Dale and anyone for replying.
zenli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:26 PM   #32
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenli View Post

Naturally, the next question is: does the eReader for iPod Touch work for Palm PDB as well?

From what I read so far, it looks like the eReader app only sync with the ereader/fictionwise library online. Is that right? Does that also mean that eReader only works when iPod touch can get on wi-fi?

Thanks in advance to Dale and anyone for replying.
the iPod Touch will work the same. You are correct about syncing. A future modification is planned by the Fictionwise folks to fix this as soon as they understand a bit more about this new technology. Getting eBooks to an iPhone has always been problematic. This is part of what unbricking was all about. I would expect that applications to download content via USB will be developed, probably for iTunes. You may already be able to use iTunes by importing your eBooks to it. I don't own an iPhone so I can't test it. (You need a new version of iTunes for this functionality (7.7?)

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2008, 08:29 PM   #33
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Let's be clear what you are talking about. Lots of different Palm files have PDB extensions. Palm OS can only store files in Palm Database format in memory. Anything else must reside on a card. Palm OS uses the Creator and Type attributes of the database to know what owns it and what program knows how to use it. In general, all data files on a Palm will have a PDB extension, regardless of the type of data they contain. All program files will have a PRC extension. (To make it more fun, a PRC file doesn't have to be a program. It can be a data file...)

eReader on Palm OS can display files in PML format (a markup language supporting text attributes, fonts, color, images,a nd hyperlinks) and Palm "doc" files, which are plain text files compressed to save memory in a Palm Database format.

So the question is which kind of file you got eReader for the iPhone to display. Was it a PML file or a plain text file? We assume eReader on the iPhone handles PML files. The question is whether it will handle Palm doc files as well.

Quote:
I can't imagine why it wouldn't. They have similar hardware and essentially the same OS.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:02 PM   #34
zenli
zenli doesn't litterzenli doesn't litterzenli doesn't litter

Device: Palm Tungsten E, iPod Touch, Sony 300, Sony 600
Thanks Dale and Dennis. =)

I used aportisdoc converting a txt into a pdb. And eReader for Windows was able to display the pdb succssfully. However, it did not work for txt file that contains Chinese characters. eReader for Windows cannot display Chinese correctly (or at least I didn't make it work).

As the firmware 2.0 for iPod Touch is not yet released, I cannot test anything. But gathering from what Dale said, even when I can successfully read a plain text pdb on eReader for Windows, I cannot get the pdb to my iPod. =( (Unless I somehow can upload a plain text file to eReader library, then sync with my iPod Touch, yikes)
zenli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:13 PM   #35
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks Dale and Dennis. =)

I used aportisdoc converting a txt into a pdb. And eReader for Windows was able to display the pdb succssfully.
That I would expect. The question is whether eReader for the iPhone will do so. I suspect it will, but who knows?

Quote:
However, it did not work for txt file that contains Chinese characters. eReader for Windows cannot display Chinese correctly (or at least I didn't make it work).
No surprise on the Chinese characters. A Palm doc file is a plain text file, containing 7 bit ASCII characters. Chinese characters (whichever rendering system is used) can't be represented in 7 bits. They require Unicode, and what you have is no longer a plain text file.

I haven't tried to use eReader on Palm OS or Windows to handle non-Latin character sets, so I can't help you on getting Chinese displayed correctly.

Quote:
As the firmware 2.0 for iPod Touch is not yet released, I cannot test anything. But gathering from what Dale said, even when I can successfully read a plain text pdb on eReader for Windows, I cannot get the pdb to my iPod. =( (Unless I somehow can upload a plain text file to eReader library, then sync with my iPod Touch, yikes)
It sounds like that might be the case.

No such problems on my PDA: I use a USB reader to dump files to an SD card, and put the card in my device. As long as the files are dropped into the correct locations, the programs that use those files see them.
______
Dennis
Advert
Old 07-11-2008, 12:10 AM   #36
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Ok, Not to muddy the water or start a big debate, But will some one post on how the reading experience is on the Phone with ereader, Also since Apple has opened up 3rd party support I believe Adobe DE will find its way to the Iphone. Also How prevalent is the ereader format? (Are there alot of titles available in this format). Most of the shopping I have done has shown mostly Mobi, PDF, MS Reader formats.

JJ

Almost forgot, While browsing the store Itunes seems to have alot of public domain titles for sale between free-99 cents.

Last edited by jerryleejr; 07-11-2008 at 12:14 AM.
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:40 AM   #37
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
Also How prevalent is the ereader format? (Are there alot of titles available in this format). Most of the shopping I have done has shown mostly Mobi, PDF, MS Reader formats.
The eReader site advertises 36,000 titles available, in addition to what Fictionwise was already offering.

I expect that to increase. Fictionwise seems committed to enhancing the reader and expanding the number of titles available for it. We'll see how well they do.
______
Dennis
Old 07-11-2008, 12:53 AM   #38
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Ok, Not to muddy the water or start a big debate, But will some one post on how the reading experience is on the Phone with ereader, Also since Apple has opened up 3rd party support I believe Adobe DE will find its way to the Iphone. Also How prevalent is the ereader format? (Are there alot of titles available in this format). Most of the shopping I have done has shown mostly Mobi, PDF, MS Reader formats.

JJ

Almost forgot, While browsing the store Itunes seems to have alot of public domain titles for sale between free-99 cents.
I would say it is the fourth most popular format out there and you have experience with the other three. It has been neglected for a while now and I expect that with Fictionwise behind it the big three better watch out.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:48 AM   #39
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I would say it is the fourth most popular format out there and you have experience with the other three. It has been neglected for a while now and I expect that with Fictionwise behind it the big three better watch out.

Dale
I would hope that is the case but now here is the dilemma, Say I jump on the Iphone bandwagon, Amass alot of books while waiting on Sony to get off their duffs and support epub/Adobe DE or the second generation Kindle is released which is why I have not made a purchase yet. Now lets say the stars align and all this comes about, Will I be stuck with ereader formatted books that will not transfer to a later device!

JJ
Old 07-11-2008, 01:58 AM   #40
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
I would hope that is the case but now here is the dilemma, Say I jump on the Iphone bandwagon, Amass alot of books while waiting on Sony to get off their duffs and support epub/Adobe DE or the second generation Kindle is released which is why I have not made a purchase yet. Now lets say the stars align and all this comes about, Will I be stuck with ereader formatted books that will not transfer to a later device!
<shrug> Good question.

eReader is available for Windows, Mac OS/X, Palm OS, PocketPC, Windows Mobile, the OQO, and now the iPhone. They are supposedly looking at supporting the Blackberry.

So there are lots of things you can use to read PML formatted ebooks. The question is transferring them off the iPhone. I believe you can re-download previously purchased eReader volumes for a new device. I might wait for the dust to settle on that a bit before making a decision.
______
Dennis
Old 07-11-2008, 02:15 AM   #41
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!

Agreed, I am in no hurry.

JJ
Old 07-11-2008, 03:06 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
iTunes just sucks. When we searched for eReader, there was no info that it needed the 2.0 firmware. Now you know why iTunes is hated world wide.
Really, Jon, you do make the most amazing statements. It clearly states on Apple's web site that the 2.0 firmware is needed to install applications. You appear to be the only person here who wasn't aware of this requirement .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:48 AM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you type in the search box eReader and then click get app, there is no mention that it needs 2.0.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:50 AM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
True, but it does state it on the "FAQ" page of the App Store, and on the "iPod Touch" section of the Apple web site. Applications are available now for the iPhone, but are "coming soon" for the iPod Touch.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:52 AM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What should happen is when you click get app, it should then tell you that it needs 2.0. It doesn't.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote