Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Amazon's new and used books

Does anyone know where/what/how Amazon's new and used books listing comes from? I'm talking about the additional buying choices you see when you select a particular product. I had always thought they must have been legitimate alternative purchase possibilities for new and used copies but ...

The paperback version of my book is finally starting to appear, and almost as soon as it did Amazon started to show alternative locations where you could buy the book, including 1 used copy. Curious, I went directly to those websites and searched for my ISBN ... nada. One of the "new" places was The Book Depository, which I've been checking regularly anyway because it should show there eventually (I hope), and it definitely hasn't had my book at all yet. So where are these things coming from?

I'm not really complaining. I imagine it's probably a good thing for a book to look like it's had sales even when it hasn't. But it did make me curious.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:36 AM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
There is any number of scams and near-scams related to that. I've seen/heard of ebook only authors finding their books available in print (sometimes at outrageous prices).

I think there was a discussion of it here somewhere.... sorry I don't have a link...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
gmw,

There are shams on the used books. (They offer to sell one before they own it. You order it, and they will buy it, receive it, and ship it to you for high price.)
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #4
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
They're all over Ebay as well. Not really worth worrying about unless you object to someone else making money out of you. If anyone does buy one you'll still get your cut from Amazon, and I always get a bit of a boost in ebook sales when one of mine goes on Ebay so readers obviously aren't as daft as those sellers think.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
They're all over Ebay as well. Not really worth worrying about unless you object to someone else making money out of you. If anyone does buy one you'll still get your cut from Amazon, and I always get a bit of a boost in ebook sales when one of mine goes on Ebay so readers obviously aren't as daft as those sellers think.
There is nothing to keep you from doing the same thing on your own book.
In fact, you could put in the description "signed by author, real collectors item. ((Really High Price))"
Advert
Old 12-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #6
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Yep... I have see my FREE book listed for hundreds of dollars. I contact Amazon about it, they said they would look into it, and later it disappeared. But really do people pay that kind of money for a book from an unknown author? Am I missing out on something?
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #7
andreabc
Zealot
andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (4th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
One of the "new" places was The Book Depository, which I've been checking regularly anyway because it should show there eventually (I hope), and it definitely hasn't had my book at all yet.
I once noticed that Book Depository had a book listed through Amazon that wasn't listed on their regular site. I asked about it on twitter and they quickly updated their website to show it available there as well.
andreabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:02 PM   #8
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Whatever it is, it seems to be quite variable. The first day showed items more expensive than Amazon, has later dropped back in price.

I have seen a "legitimate" reseller here in Australia selling my paperback for $8 over the RRP - I feel like writing to them and asking for my cut. I checked out a few other books and they're over-pricing lots of books, even traditionally published stuff. Maybe it's so they can offer "free delivery".

andreabc, thanks for that note. I know quite a few people who purchase through The Book Depository, so they're definitely one of the places I want to be available.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #9
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Yep... I have see my FREE book listed for hundreds of dollars. I contact Amazon about it, they said they would look into it, and later it disappeared. But really do people pay that kind of money for a book from an unknown author? Am I missing out on something?
Doggone it. So that is why that book disappeared. I was about to punch the 1 click.

If you want to know what people will do, check your "spam email file." Wonderful letters from Nigeria, etc. They wouldn't send those out if no one ever took them up on it.