Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-28-2011, 07:33 AM   #31
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
Me too. I'm curious as to whether it will have to be a Kobo-bought book or whether the app can distinguish books, no matter where it originated, and pages and comments and such, as long as a Kobo app or device is used to read.
Right now the Vox Kobo App only supports Kobo ePUBs and drm free ePUBs. We know how it is though, Kobo rolls out features first for their own formats, and then, often, to others.

Lots of speculation.

Last edited by taming; 10-28-2011 at 07:38 AM. Reason: removed the most speculative of my musings
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:41 AM   #32
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: HTC Flyer; Kobo WiFi
I have a Dell Latitude with a matte screen and LOVE IT My old laptop had the glossy screen, which basically could double as a mirror. It was only a problem, really, when I would be watching something on the screen that had darker lighting, and then I see myself watching ... it was weird.

Judging by the Good eReader video review, the glossy screen isn't too bad. You get some reflection and glare from the camera's light, but it showed better compared to other video reviews I've watch with tablets. I don't know if they did any special lighting in the conference room, because of course they're going to want to to display in the very best way.

Yes, it's good to keep in mind the Good eReader plugs their shop in a lot of reviews, but I have seen them call stuff lackluster, not worth it, klunky, etc. I believe the author is Canadian, so I'm sure there's some nationalism going on, and he did the review with the CEO right there. It's definitely a limitation to an in-depth, objective review.

But I can't help but get excited. Now I'm just checking my inbox every few minutes to see if my order is in processing yet or not. I was late to the game (darn you, Lenovo!). Just checked BestBuy, and it all says backordered. But I might pop out at lunch and see if they have a demo set up or not.
emilikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2011, 09:19 AM   #33
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Here is GoodEReader.com's full review of the Vox (with their own hard camera and no CEO taking control of the review):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKSkwjgYBBo

I must say, it does NOT seem to compare favorably in performance to other tablets in the $200-$250 price range. And, as an ereader, not very well at all to the Touch. I will not be getting a Vox after all, I think, for my birthday (likely get a Skypad Alpha or some such).
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:47 AM   #34
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Tried it outside. Screen was in direct sunlight, and was brighter than the iPod Touch screen I had to compare it to, or even the Super AMOLED of the Galaxy S, but only a tad more. Glare only got bad where the spot of direct sunlight reflected off the surface - the rest was very bright even under that glare.

It's also decent as a performer if you dump some of the Homescreen Widgets (clock, the INQ ones for FB) that are normally set up. Just use a better browser like Opera Mobile and you're set. The only downer for me is the Kobo app, which tends to freeze. But at least THAT can be fixed.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote