Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-08-2010, 12:48 AM   #31
anidel
Zealot
anidel doesn't litteranidel doesn't litter

Device: Kobo,Nokia N900
I don't work for Kobo and I do had a copy to beta test.
So far haven't found any bugs...
anidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:49 PM   #32
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Since JC hasn't been able to comment on this thread (we've all been crazy busy.. gee wonder why ;-) , I wanted to let people know that we can make the linux version of the desktop available to whomever would like it. We're not going to cap it off at a certain number of people.

Just note that it hasn't been fully tested for general release, but as JC said it's easy for us to provide.

Also, I'd ask for the folks here who do get a copy: If you find issues, post them here or email JC (or me: shasan at kobobooks dot com). I'd ask you not to go through the customer service department (help at kobobooks dot com) as they have not yet been anointed in the ways of linux
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2010, 03:11 PM   #33
anidel
Zealot

Yup that's what I have been doing, email here to JC.

Also, if someone hasn't got it, can we pm them the link to the .deb file ?
Old 05-08-2010, 03:37 PM   #34
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't see a problem with that, just as long as you pass on the same info / process. Post here with problems.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:53 PM   #35
anidel
Zealot

Okay cool, so if people don't get an answer fast from Kobo, just PM me and I'll PM them back the very same mail I got from Kobo.
Of course I might be even slower then Kobo itself but you've got a chance...
Advert
Old 05-08-2010, 09:13 PM   #36
anidel
Zealot

One thing I forgot to tell is that the link I have is to the Kobo Desktop application .deb file for the Ubuntu Lucid (10.4) version.
Feel free to ask.

Aniello
Old 05-10-2010, 11:54 AM   #37
chutz
chutz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
I have a Gentoo Ebuild for Kobo desktop that seems to be working, though I haven't tried syncing my device yet.

If anyone wants it, PM me and I can put it in my developer overlay.
chutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:31 PM   #38
Bloggins
Bloggins
Bloggins began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Too many library issues for the Kobo app to run on Opensuse 11.2 x86_64

Yep,

Gave it a try. I had to pull apart the debian package and install manually.

I'm running Opensuse 11.2 64-bit and the libraries are just not compatible. I get glibc 2.1 problems and libssl issues. There is no joy here and I doubt that there will be in the near future. The usual distro's that are released are Ubuntu (blech, absolutely useless for developers and any enterprise style installation),Debian, Fedora with Opensuse being dead last. It's much more popular in Europe than it is in North America.

One way to get around this is to release all of the common distros and a static version to make it available to everyone else.

Anyways, I was able to get Windows XP running under Virtual Box so I'm covered for the near future but it would be nice to get that virus off of my machine.

I still love the device though.

Cheers!!
Bloggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:40 PM   #39
jsh
jsh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo e-reader
I installed it on my Ubuntu machine and it seems to work just fine.

However, after syncing with the ereader it seems to have lost two covers (both books I bought recently) - I see a big ugly cross on them. On the reader the covers are still there, but now I am worried about syncing again. Updating my library doesn't bring the covers back.

Also, syncing replaced the bookmarks on the reader with the ones from the desktop application, which is not the behaviour I would expect. But that is probably not something related to the Linux software in particular.
jsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:59 PM   #40
SameerH
Product Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh View Post
I installed it on my Ubuntu machine and it seems to work just fine.

However, after syncing with the ereader it seems to have lost two covers (both books I bought recently) - I see a big ugly cross on them. On the reader the covers are still there, but now I am worried about syncing again. Updating my library doesn't bring the covers back.

Also, syncing replaced the bookmarks on the reader with the ones from the desktop application, which is not the behaviour I would expect. But that is probably not something related to the Linux software in particular.
re: bookmarks, have you set the time correctly on the Kobo eReader?
Old 05-10-2010, 08:27 PM   #41
suslik
suslik began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Binary compatibility across Linux machines is a much bigger problem than either for Windows or Apple OS. When you have to make closed source software that won't be compiled on the user's machine, it gets a little tricky .

I have a friend who told me that quite a number of Kobo devs chose to work in Linux.
suslik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:36 PM   #42
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Considering that the Kobo is, in fact, an embedded Linux computer, they sort of have to! Except the poor blokes who got stuck with the desktop app, of course!
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:28 AM   #43
chutz
chutz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Considering that the Kobo is, in fact, an embedded Linux computer, they sort of have to! Except the poor blokes who got stuck with the desktop app, of course!
Where did you get this information? I haven't seen anything to indicate that it runs Linux, and the lack of any source code release or notice of where to obtain the source with the device indicates to me that it is likely not running Linux. I suppose it is possible that it is running Linux and is a GPL-violating device, but I would like to think that is not the case. I suppose we will know for sure what it is running after the first firmware update comes out and someone takes apart the image to figure out what it is running.

My best guess would be that it is running WinCE.
chutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:29 PM   #44
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
This is what we belive the KOBO is based on...
http://www.netronixinc.com/EB600.html
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:11 AM   #45
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
If you go to the About page, you will find the LGPL and GPL written out in full, as well as list of software that is plainly Linux and Gnu software. I have inquired about kernel source code, and have been assured it is on the way.

There is no indication anywhere that Microsoft played any part in this device.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
desktop, kobo, linux, software