Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-09-2009, 01:03 PM   #1
cremofix
cremofix began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS700
calibre - very slow conversion, very slow on PRS

hello folks,

I found some interesting PDF-ebooks. Because PDF viewing on my PRS-700 is not very comfortable I tried to convert them the following way:

- extract the text from the PDF via copy/paste to a Word2007 file.

- Do some corrections

- safe as ebook.rtf

import with calibre and convert to epub.

The conversion for one book (about 500 pages on the PRS700) needs more than 3 hours.

The size of the epub-book is 0.7 MB

The ebook on the PRS700 is very slow, sometimes I need 2 or 3 minutes to change a page.

Is thee any efficient way to do this kind of conversion?
Where can be the reason for the very long conversion time (usually conversion is done within 10-20 seconds)

perhaps the fonts ?

please help, because I still have mor than 50 books in PDF format to be converted...

thanks
mario
cremofix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:46 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Save your RTF files as clean HTML to improve performance.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Save your RTF files as clean HTML to improve performance.
Yep, converting RTF to anything else is v-e-r-y s-l-o-w, compared to other input formats, although I haven't run into 3-hour conversions myself...

Any idea why that is, Kovid?
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:21 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Because the library calibre uses to convert RTF into HTML isn't the best, so you often get better results if you convert to HTML using another program
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote