Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: What price you agree to pay for upgrade to Sony PRS-700 in case if Sony will offer it
$200 10 7.87%
$100 34 26.77%
$0 - I don't want to upgrade it. 83 65.35%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2008, 02:09 AM   #1
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Poll: Sony Reader PRS-505 upgrade to Sony PRS-700

This question for Sony Reader PRS-505 owners:
What price you agree to pay for upgrade to Sony PRS-700 in case if Sony will offer it:

1. $200
2. $100
3. $0 - I don't want to upgrade it.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:41 AM   #2
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
The 700 doesn't represent an evolution of the 505. It isn't an "upgraded 505", but rather a new product with different navigational, lighting, and screen characteristics. Sony still sells both; the advent of the 700 didn't make the 505 obsolete.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2008, 09:43 AM   #3
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I found this a difficult question but ultimately opted for not interested. There are things I like about the 700, but none are must have features. My 505 is still ideal for me. Plus, I'm not sure I would take any deal to upgrade from my 505 that required me to hand in the 505. My wife would like my 505 (she has been hinting that I should look at the 700 and give her the 505), so why trade it in?
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:59 AM   #4
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
The 700 doesn't represent an evolution of the 505. It isn't an "upgraded 505", but rather a new product with different navigational, lighting, and screen characteristics. Sony still sells both; the advent of the 700 didn't make the 505 obsolete.
Wikipedia:
The term upgrade refers to the replacement of a product with a newer version of that same product, however, it is most often used in computing and consumer electronics, generally meaning a replacement of hardware, software or firmware with a newer or better version, in order to bring the system up to date or to improve its characteristics. The word is also used by audiophiles to describe the replacement of a product with a better quality product with the aim of bringing enhancements to sound quality.

I think we can use this term "upgrade" for 505 model because new 700 model has more features like touch screen and lighting. The main purpose of this poll is understanding how important these new features for Sony eBook reader users.

Last edited by Kris777; 12-05-2008 at 12:01 PM.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:30 PM   #5
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
the touch screen and the Lighting are Features that i would hate to loose on future products.

the only thing lacking honestly is wireless support. but hardly used that anyway when i had my kindle.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2008, 01:29 PM   #6
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
The PRS-700 is a failure...

Go to Borders and hold the PRS-700 in one hand and the PRS-505 in the other.

The 700 screen is visibly inferior but for some reason they want an additional $100.

Wait for the 800.
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:13 PM   #7
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
Wikipedia:
The term upgrade refers to the replacement of a product with a newer version of that same product, however, it is most often used in computing and consumer electronics, generally meaning a replacement of hardware, software or firmware with a newer or better version, in order to bring the system up to date or to improve its characteristics. The word is also used by audiophiles to describe the replacement of a product with a better quality product with the aim of bringing enhancements to sound quality.

I think we can use this term "upgrade" for 505 model because new 700 model has more features like touch screen and lighting. The main purpose of this poll is understanding how important these new features for Sony eBook reader users.
Don't sweat it. I think most people understood what you meant in your poll.

Although, I wouldn't consider it far-fetched to think of the 505 as an "upgrade" to the 700. Ugh, Sony should have worked harder on the 700's screen. I think they released this thing too quickly.

Last edited by Seabound; 12-05-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:26 PM   #8
Server
Anti-Narcissist
Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SØNY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound View Post
.....Sony should have worked harder on the 700's screen. I think they released this thing too quickly....

Once again, CO$T is a huge factor that seems to escape many. An
iPhone / Touch type touch screen of that size would probably place
the reader in such a tight niche market that it would not make sense
to market in the first place. 400 is already high enough IMHO. A
better touch screen would put the cost closer to 500-600 +/-

Sony & Co. made a judgment / marketing call on the cost of production
vs. the cost of a failed product launch. Keep in mind, this is the FIRST
company with the first touch screen added to a reader of this kind.

No doubt the next version will be "new and improved" etc etc...

Who knows what the next complaint will consist of, Weight? Buttons?
Size? Smell? Lack of video or color e-Ink? Connectivity? etc etc...
Server is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:55 PM   #9
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Server View Post
This is not the same as complaining about the poor implementation of the primary function of a reading device. All the things you mention are secondary to the reading experience, whereas the ability to read the screen is not.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:30 PM   #10
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Once again, CO$T is a huge factor that seems to escape many. An
iPhone / Touch type touch screen of that size would probably place
the reader in such a tight niche market that it would not make sense
to market in the first place. 400 is already high enough IMHO. A
better touch screen would put the cost closer to 500-600 +/-

Sony & Co. made a judgment / marketing call on the cost of production
vs. the cost of a failed product launch. Keep in mind, this is the FIRST
company with the first touch screen added to a reader of this kind.

No doubt the next version will be "new and improved" etc etc...

Did I ask for an iPhone/iPod Touch type screen? I said they should have worked harder. Thought about it more, made a better design. How much would it have cost to remove or redesign those lights? I'd rather have a good screen than built-in lights if the lights will get in the way of a good screen design/interface.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:38 PM   #11
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by detayls View Post
Go to Borders and hold the PRS-700 in one hand and the PRS-505 in the other.

The 700 screen is visibly inferior but for some reason they want an additional $100.

Wait for the 800.
Like ive said, ive had the Kindle i know what the screen looks like without it. sure the Screen isnt as perfect, but i have 0 Problem reading with the touch screen.

Can i Read it just fine? Yes i can.

I have a Kindle sitting in its box right next to me. if i thought for a second the Screen on my 700 wasnt readable i would return it, and start using the kindle again.

Last edited by Andybaby; 12-05-2008 at 04:52 PM.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:54 PM   #12
Server
Anti-Narcissist
Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SØNY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound View Post
Did I ask for an iPhone/iPod Touch type screen? I said they should have worked harder. Thought about it more, made a better design. How much would it have cost to remove or redesign those lights? I'd rather have a good screen than built-in lights if the lights will get in the way of a good screen design/interface.
just for you,

I'm sure they would have bent over backwards.
Server is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:59 PM   #13
Seabound
Steerage Class

Quote:
just for you,

I'm sure they would have bent over backwards.
Stay classy and keep up the good work.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:14 PM   #14
MdB
Advocate/Initiate
MdB doesn't litterMdB doesn't litter

Device: Undecided
I wonder what it is about the internet that makes us all want to become such big fat flaming a$$holes all the time? And rant and rave and try to put everybody down. And then come to these places and watch it all go down like a christians v. lions game of old. I'm as guilty as the next guy...I love watching these little flame wars. I'm just sick I guess. Forget the Count of Monte Cristo this month guys - let's do a study on this phenomenon...

Oh yeah - the guy who posted before me and/or after me is a total prick - don't listen to him.

And - I agree - the clarity of the screen is the #1 most important feature of a reading device. I was sooo looking forward to the 700 for that reason. I even got the Sony card in anticipation. Now here I sit, card in wallet, trying to decide whether to get that $199 505 from Bestbuy.com or just keep reading on my iphone for a little while longer. It's the same reason I didn't buy a Pinto in high school. My #1 criterion for car purchase consideration: The ability to get from point A to point B without blowing my a$$ up.

(sorry - a little off topic and preachy...I've spent too much time in front of unhappy people today)
MdB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:53 PM   #15
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue!), PRS-650 (Black), iPad, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
This is not the same as complaining about the poor implementation of the primary function of a reading device. All the things you mention are secondary to the reading experience, whereas the ability to read the screen is not.
Gotta agree with that one!

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote