Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-12-2008, 07:39 AM   #1
AnnCook
AnnCook is on a distinguished road

Device: Still Comparing
Easier on the hands and eyes?

Can anyone give any recommendations for readers that are easy on the hands as well as a pretty easy to read/generous sized viewing field?

As young as I am my arthritis is going crazy lately and I'm worried that a clunky reader ( or one without good grip if slim, as seems to be so popular lately ) might make my hands ache.

Kindle isn't an option, unfortunatly, because of the awkward placing of the buttons on the side. Sony's looked nice, and had a price more in our range, but I've not yet had any feedback from the two people I know who have it.

Any suggestions?

Oh! Backlight feature or a reading screen that doesn't bounce/scatter light too much while using a lamp would be wonderful too.
AnnCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:53 AM   #2
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

None of the e-Ink devices has backlight.

The Cybook is 174 grams in weight, less then any normal (and even lots of thr light ones) analogic (paper) books.
I bet the Sony does not weight much more.

Hope you find your solution.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2008, 07:56 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Based on your criteria I think that the Sony Reader would probably be your best bet.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:36 AM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
We own both the Sony and the Kindle, the Sony is easier to hold for long periods of time.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 02:27 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Hi AnnCook,
I have the Sony 505. It's a great device. Easy to hold and pretty light. It feels about as heavy as a paperback (the steel casing gives it some weight).
The reader is very portable and I carry it with me all over the place.
Since I got the device my reading time tripled since I can carry this book everywhere and not have to lug larger hardbacks around.

SONY has a large amount of books out there they also are priced pretty reasonable.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2008, 03:06 PM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Mine if very ergonomic and is comfortable for my hands. It is also backlit. However, it is strictly a reader, doesn't do fancy graphics or whatever. Give it a look at www.ebookwise.com Also, it's very affordable.

I love it, use it every night (after lights out for my sleepy-head husband).

Just pick one that fits your pocketbook and is compatible to your level of tech savvy, then dive in. Good Luck!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:46 PM   #7
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnCook View Post
Can anyone give any recommendations for readers that are easy on the hands as well as a pretty easy to read/generous sized viewing field?

As young as I am my arthritis is going crazy lately and I'm worried that a clunky reader ( or one without good grip if slim, as seems to be so popular lately ) might make my hands ache.

Kindle isn't an option, unfortunatley, because of the awkward placing of the buttons on the side. Sony's looked nice, and had a price more in our range, but I've not yet had any feedback from the two people I know who have it.

Any suggestions?

Oh! Backlight feature or a reading screen that doesn't bounce/scatter light too much while using a lamp would be wonderful too.
If you have arthritis then Kindle is your best bet because of the very large page turn buttons. You quickly learn not to inadvertently push the buttons. One of the posters here ( I believe TallMom) has said she has arthritis and prefers the Kindle.

Sony is great, but the buttons are smaller and require a more hefty 'push' to activate them vis-a-vis the Kindle.

The Jetbook is smaller and has a very easy to use slide bar on the left which you slide down to page forward and up to page back. It can be had for $300. It has a somewhat disconcerting background glare when used in bright light that eink devices don't have.

Iliad has the largest viewing screen and a wonderful touchscreen which uses a stylus, so your hands would not be used to turn the page (unless you so chose).

Cybook is the lightest but the controls are small and not ergonomic as some of the others for an arthritic.

I would think Sony & Cybook would be the worst choices for an arthritic.

Find a post by TallMomof2 and send her a personal message, if you wish.

BTW, I'm a physician so have a little experience in arthritis-related problems.
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:55 PM   #8
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I have arthritis in my hands and the Kindle feels the best, IMO. It's lightweight, not slippery, buttons easy to use and doesn't feel cold. I tried out a Sony in the store and found it more difficult to use. Plus it didn't feel comfortable in my hands. It was harder to hold.

Generally, I keep the Kindle in the M-Edge case (used to use the standard one) and it helps with gripping the Kindle.

I also have an Iliad and it is heavier (it is a bit larger) and cold feeling. The case isn't too slippery and the page turn bar isn't difficult to use. I keep it around mainly to read PDFs.

All of the eInk readers aren't backlit but the ones I've used have a matte screen and with a little bit of adjusting, glare from an external lamp is not a problem. Verilux makes a couple of very nice book lights, pricey but very nice. What is great about eInk screens is that you can easily read them outside. That isn't true with backlit LCDs.

HTH and feel free to PM me if you have anymore questions.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:16 AM   #9
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
AnnCook:

I have rheumatoid arthritis which affects my hands 24/7. So I suspect I understand where you are coming from in terms of ergonomics.

Two things I discovered when using my first reader, Sony Clie nx73v, are hands free reading and a touch screen. Both are MUST have features.

As far as I know none of the current crop of eink reading devices have built-in stands to enable hands free reading. I am at a loss as to why this is the case. You can of course get a cheap folding vinyl coated wire frame plate holder to prop up your device but it's a PITA to tote around with your reader. But if you have to ya have too...

I also found the Sony readers to be too thin. I have problems squeezing things to hold them so this is a case where the Sony's sexy size might be an issue to consider.

I found the touch screen the idea work around for buttons. My PERFECT feature is the one handed operation my Clie offers with it's thumb wheel (some call it a "jog wheel") on the side. It allows me to change pages if I am holding the device in my left hand.

Not much consideration seems to have been given to those who might have problems holding things in our hands. Even down to the point of the lack of a post to attach a wrist lanyard to help protect against drops. BTW, the Sony has this feature. My Nokia N800, however does not.

My N800 is nice in that it has a built in "kickstand" that not only allows me to read hands free in landscape orientation but it also can act as sort of a way to hold the device securely and with almost no strain. You simply open the stand and slip your hand between the back of the device and bottom of the stand. This gives you the ability to read in portrait orientation and use the tap screen to change pages.

I LOVE the N800 as a reader. Battery life is so-so (I get about 5-6hrs reading time from a fully charged battery that still holds about 97% of capacity)...also, if you do not have the ability to de-drm your protected content then you might never be able to read protected content as almost all the software for the device is open source and free. So there is nobody to pay license fees for the "right" to read protected content.

Right now the only reading software for the N8x0 series of tablets is FBReader. I have come to really like this software but like everything it has some frustrations. Still I like it better than the reader from Mobipocket running on the Clie.

I have also posted before that I was able to spend some time with the Sony 505 side by side with my N800. I found, for me personally, there is not sufficient contrast on the eink Visplex screens. Of course that changes outside where the Visplex eink displays really ROCK.

Some will swear by the eink display being "easier" on their eyes. I find this not true due to the contrast. All I need do is adjust the background color as well as brightness on the N800 or Clie display's and reading is fine and without strain. Just dunna try it outside where, even with a transreflective display, LCD's are, well, not good at all.

If I were you I would go visit either a Borders or even a Costco if you have one nearby and try out the Sony. Hold it for a while, I mean a good 15-20 mins. See how it feels in your hands. I will say it's still easier than a PB because one can hold it sorta flat in your palm if need be. The Sony 505 really is an elegant device. It's simple to navigate and decent enough to read on for most folks. I just had probs because it was pretty much too thin and also lacks a way to read hands free without dragging an easel-like thingy around with you. And if you ever have problems dropping things due to your arthritis, look into adding a stick-on wrist lanyard like you can buy at camera stores. It might save whatever reader you decide on buying.

Oh, here is an example of a folding plate holder you can use with a reader.

http://www.finehomedisplays.com/prod...prod=52%2D0050

It should work great for readers w/o a built-in stand.

I did add a Boxweave Papertouch screen protector to each device. It pretty much eliminates the glare/reflection factor plus protects the display.

BTW, I also use a FAT Avery Triple Click pen/pencil/stylus over the pointers provided with either the Clie or the N800. Without this pen I would not be able to easily use either device well or for more then brief periods of time.

Last edited by brecklundin; 05-15-2008 at 04:05 PM.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:23 AM   #10
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I've used the Clie and Palms for many years but I had to give it up because I have really bad vision (If you look up the phrase "Blind as a bat" you'll see my picture.) and the small backlit LCD screens were giving my ferocious headaches. Personally I find the contrast on the eInk screens as good as that in a paperback novel. It's not as good as a backlit LCD but the lack of eyestrain makes up for any deficiencies in contrast.

With a small screen such as those on a PDA you will do a lot more page turning. The touchscreen makes it fairly easy but I found the constant page turning somewhat disruptive. Larger screen, fewer page turns.

If you decide to try the Kindle, Amazon has a generous return policy. You are not locked in to purchasing only Amazon content, any MOBI ebook without DRM easily transfers to the Kindle.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:00 PM   #11
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

gottcha...as for the Kindle, would not touch any of the current eink devices with a 10-foot pole right now. Too early and too soon for the technology to be a steady & known quantity. For $400 I expect a device like a Kindle to last 10-years to justify the cost. Just a bit of WAG but to justify the claims of more "green" they need last at least that long. Well, the current make up of the Kindle falls short of a device I want to use that long.

Of course one could be like some of the folks here and sell their 'old' device every 6-10mos and get whatever is new. Not a bad option...

And for me there is greater eye fatigue with the current eink display based devices. Kinda sorta the opposite of your experience.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:47 PM   #12
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
All this is very subjective,buy, try, and return. Don't get the Sony engraved because engraved units are not returnable
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:43 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just a note that, having received my new Gen3 last night, the nav button on the new hardware is a lot easier to use - they've made it much "softer". That probably would make it easier for people with arthritis to use, although I still reckon that the Sony is better in that respect.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 01:35 PM   #14
brecklundin
Banned

Harry,

Great news about the new Gen3...I have been liking that style of design the more I look at it...

But in general to the thread I think this needs a bit of background about arthritis and the types of arthritis which exist. To the surprise of a majority of people, there are about a zillion types of arthritis. They come down to "wear and tear arthritis" (osteoarthritis, OA) from years of joint use and then there are the autoimmune arthritis diseases where your immune system is actually attacking and destroying normal tissue, such as rheumatoid arthritis. Fundamentally OA is a condition whereas rheumatic disease varieties are autoimmune systemic diseases which require autoimmune suppressive medications. Neither types have a true cure. The autoimmune variety is, as a rule, progressive. Even with aggressive treatment autoimmune arthritis can progress to affecting your organs and nerve (mainly peripheral) systems even potentially causing death if left untreated then again the meds can kill ya too. Both conditions can cause constant and amazing levels of pain which seems to defy even the strongest painkillers for many. And many folks cannot tolerate the pain meds in order to get sustained relief. So, avoidance of what aggravates the pain is paramount in both cases.

Anyway, in both cases, when the hands are affected as a rule the most significant problem tends to be gripping small/thin things. Even holding a pencil can be excruciating for a mere few moments. Weight as a rule is not near as significant. So thin is often (actually usually) not a good option. Nor is the amount of effort to push a button as significant though it can be in either situation. For me with my RA, even trying to hold my index finger and thumb together will cause pain after just a few seconds. Typing for me, however is painless. Many out there with OA might find typing painful to impossible. So there is a LOT of variation. Difficulty gripping though seems to be a commonality for people where hands are affected no matter the variety.

I mention allllllll of this because for those who don't have it or don't have their hands affected to a significant degree there is almost always a lack of understanding about what people with it need. So items which are thin, such as the Sony, are problematic simply because of their lack of girth.

I was Dx'd with RA at 9yrs old and have had to live with it my whole life. I am 47 now and look as strong and capable one might imagine of someone 20-years younger. But things as simple as moping the floor or making the 50-mile round trip to see my Rheumatologist can put me in bed for a week or more. Which is where my devices become the only way I can work or keep me marginally...ahem..sane? hehehehe...

Anyway, sorry to side track this thread a bit, I was simply hoping by giving a bit of background others better understand the difficulties people with the various varieties of arthritic diseases or conditions have doing what seems trivial and just part of day to day life.

Anyway, good thread with some good recommendations...glad it was created!

Last edited by brecklundin; 05-19-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:03 PM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
AnnCook,

I don't know where you live but I've noticed Amazon has started a "See a Kindle in your City" forum.

If you're comfortable with it, you might use that (or these boards) as a way to test drive a Kindle or other reader in person. If you're in the Los Angeles area, I'd be happy to give you a test.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote