Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-12-2014, 09:43 AM   #46
MarekGibek
Zealot
MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexskinner View Post
Does the same debian image work on on the Mini or does it require manual tweaks, the minis are more readily available at low cost
It requires manual tweaks - someone documented it on this forum.
MarekGibek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:55 AM   #47
MarekGibek
Zealot
MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parubel View Post
i think someone asked, but i can't seem to find a satisfying answer: does using the debian or android consume more power? what's important is if it uses the battery when reading, wifi off. cool work here guys!
Wifi is the most power hungry. With wifi on my Kobo Touch works only a few hours whatever you do. It has 1000 mAh battery. I think Aura HD has bigger capacity.

With wifi off and only reading it takes about 10-20% of the battery to read the whole book. So I think it is not bad.

Reading books means no CPU usage and infrequent screen refreshes. If you want to play chess all the time you may expect 2 days working.
Advert
Old 01-12-2014, 02:05 PM   #48
dboddie
dboddie began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
I've just joined this forum, having spent some some time reading this thread and others to do with installing alternative software on Kobo devices. Thanks for making your work available, Marek!

I'm currently experimenting with your kernel on my Kobo Mini alongside a custom Debian install. My plan is to look at building some simple PyQt applications for it, using an embedded Qt library like the one that Kobo ship with the device.
dboddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:38 AM   #49
eehmke
eehmke began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
Hi Marek,
I installed your image on a Kobo touch N905B. It boots fine and shows your nice screen, but does not react to any touch input. Can you give any hints, maybe to build the image myself?
eehmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:37 AM   #50
MarekGibek
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by eehmke View Post
Hi Marek,
I installed your image on a Kobo touch N905B. It boots fine and shows your nice screen, but does not react to any touch input. Can you give any hints, maybe to build the image myself?
Yes. Please follow instructions from this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=228209
Advert
Old 01-19-2014, 03:41 AM   #51
MarekGibek
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboddie View Post
I've just joined this forum, having spent some some time reading this thread and others to do with installing alternative software on Kobo devices. Thanks for making your work available, Marek!

I'm currently experimenting with your kernel on my Kobo Mini alongside a custom Debian install. My plan is to look at building some simple PyQt applications for it, using an embedded Qt library like the one that Kobo ship with the device.
Cool! I successfully ran PyQt on it. I even left simple test python scripts in my home directory in the sample image. Everything you need to start is installed there.

It's not even embedded version of the Qt. It's full version that is installed there. Even QML and WebKit is working. I like it as you can develop and test your software on your PC first.

I also managed to build calibre ebook-viewer (it's python/qt, too) and started modifing it (fix for margins and fullscreen mode on awesome window manager). I like this viewer the best on Debian. My modifications are here:
https://github.com/marek-g/calibre

Last edited by MarekGibek; 01-19-2014 at 03:47 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:48 PM   #52
dboddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarekGibek View Post
Cool! I successfully ran PyQt on it. I even left simple test python scripts in my home directory in the sample image. Everything you need to start is installed there.

It's not even embedded version of the Qt. It's full version that is installed there. Even QML and WebKit is working. I like it as you can develop and test your software on your PC first.
Yes, that's the nice thing about running the stock Debian distribution. For me, though, one of the attractions about playing with the embedded version is that you can remove features you don't need, though you can do this with the X11 version as well if you really want to.

Quote:
I also managed to build calibre ebook-viewer (it's python/qt, too) and started modifing it (fix for margins and fullscreen mode on awesome window manager). I like this viewer the best on Debian. My modifications are here:
https://github.com/marek-g/calibre
Nice. Thanks for making those changes available.

On a different subject, I've been experiencing issues with the representation of colours (well, shades of grey) on the framebuffer. When using your autoupdate tool, everything looks fine. Without autoupdate, the colour mapping seems incorrect. I'll try and post some photos to demonstrate this.

Update: I've attached two photos: the first shows a black-to-white gradient image which was sent to the framebuffer with auto-update enabled (using eink_enable_autoupdate); the second shows what happens after a full update is performed (with eink_full_update).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5223.jpg
Views:	773
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	118167   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5225.jpg
Views:	746
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	118168  

Last edited by dboddie; 01-20-2014 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:32 PM   #53
martux
martux doesn't littermartux doesn't litter

Device: kobo mini
Updated HowTo: Patch MG's debian-image for Kobo Mini via a Linux-Desktop/Terminal

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexskinner
Does the same debian image work on on the Mini or does it require manual tweaks, the minis are more readily available at low cost.
Quote:
It requires manual tweaks - someone documented it on this forum.
Yeah, thats quite true (and in the end not really difficult), but in the meantime there are at least three big threads containing important details.

And since I spend several hours to collect all the latest informations related to the patch of the image for the mini on a linux-desktop, may be it helps some people to put it all in a nutshell.

Updated HowTo: Patch Debian-image from Marek for Kobo Mini via a Linux-Desktop/Terminal:

As always, please backup all your data before - just in case you produce an error with 'dd' and remember that all the data on the new msd-card for the Kobo will be destroyed!

1. Download the image here:
https://sites.google.com/site/gibekm...kobo-as-tablet

2. unzip 'Kobo.zip'

3. navigate via terminal to the unzipped items

4. unrar the 3 debian parts just with one command:
Code:
unrar x 2013-08-17_kobo_debian.part01.rar
5. according to user cloudsun9, you can skip downloading any uboot-things since they're identic:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=68

So just extract the kobo mini-specific data from the original 2gb kobo-msd-card block 1025 (if you want to be sure, use a 1-1 copy of it; X=letter of your 2gb-msd):
Code:
sudo dd if=/dev/sdX bs=512 skip=1024 count=1 of=anyname.img
sudo sync
(you can check this file easily in a hex-editor. The first bytes should be: "HW CONFIG v1.3"

6. transfer Marek's debian-image via dd to a fresh 16gb-msd-card (8gb-cards are also possible but sometimes they are some blocks smaller than the image, Y=letter of your unmounted 16gb-msd):
Code:
sudo dd if=2013-08-17_kobo_debian.img bs=512 of=/dev/sdY
sudo sync
7. overwrite block 1025 of the still unmounted 16gb-msd with the extracted anyname.img:
Code:
sudo dd if=anyname.img bs=512 seek=1024 count=1 of=/dev/sdY 
sudo sync
8. put the 16-gb-msd in your kobo mini and start it

9. on first start tap on the nickel-item and config and start your wlan including password there

10. after the next boot, tap on the debian-icon, start WiFi via launcher-Config-WiFi-Start and wait until you receive the ip-message

11. have fun (and admire marek for his work .-)

Just had time, to check if everything works: perfect!

Only one question, just if someone knows:

The letters in terminal, nano, etc. on the mini are a little bit too small for my eyes. Is there an easy way to configure them double sized?

grtz, martux
martux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:46 PM   #54
eehmke
eehmke began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
Quote:
Yes. Please follow instructions from this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=228209
Thanks. I patched that value at address 0x80017 and dd'd the image again to the sd card. It kind of works now, but not really good. It responds very sluggish (if at all) to the touchpad. When I tap at the WiFi symbol, I get a black screen with another Wifi symbol at the center. Nothing can be done there. So I cannot activate the WLAN connection to telnet into the device.
eehmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:01 AM   #55
MarekGibek
Zealot

Quote:
Thanks. I patched that value at address 0x80017 and dd'd the image again to the sd card. It kind of works now, but not really good. It responds very sluggish (if at all) to the touchpad. When I tap at the WiFi symbol, I get a black screen with another Wifi symbol at the center. Nothing can be done there. So I cannot activate the WLAN connection to telnet into the device.
Sorry, I cannot help - I don't know how it should behave on N905B model. I may only suggest you to copy whole HW CONFIG section. It may help.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:28 AM   #56
martux
martux doesn't littermartux doesn't litter

Device: kobo mini
Afaik you have also to follow steps 9-10 of my previous post in the right order:
1. Nickel, 2. Wlan-setup in Nickel, 3. reboot into debian, 4. goto wifi-config, start it and wait some secs until a message box with the ip-adress appears.

grtz martux

Quote:
martux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:14 PM   #57
dboddie

Marek, do you have any ideas about the framebuffer problem I mentioned above? I've attached a couple of pictures to that message to show what I was referring to.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:57 PM   #58
vinzg
vinzg began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch n905c
how to run xfce4

Hello guys,

i like this project! i 've a kobo 905c, so have just installed marek's image and tryed some tools, but i'd really like to have a working x window manager.

with xfce4-panel

i've this issue

failed to connect to session manager: failed to connect...session manager variable not defined. No window manager registered on screen 0. to start the panel without this check run --disable-wm-check

thank you for your help!

okular works but only if i launch from terminal i don't know why(i configured it on lua)

synergy and calibre works well and can launch from menu ...
firefox a bit slow on boot then ok

here 2 pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0997.jpg
Views:	1142
Size:	823.4 KB
ID:	118306   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0998.jpg
Views:	1026
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	118307  
vinzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:04 PM   #59
android4kobomini
android4kobomini began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini Model# N705
MarekGibek, I read on your website that you installed Ubuntu 13.04 on your Kobo Touch. How did you do that?
android4kobomini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:17 AM   #60
pintjuk
pintjuk began at the beginning.

Device: kobo tuch
Everyone who has got this working on the kobo tuch, could you please post the models of the sd cards you used. I am consernd about bying an sd card to find out that it is incompatable¡

Thanks for this by the way, it looks really cool hope it is usable.

By the way what do you think would be the best way to add new functionalaty to a kobo tablet. find a way to wright and load programs to the original Kobo OS, port and load existing linux aplications to Kobo OS, or to use OPs OS?

Last edited by pintjuk; 03-10-2014 at 11:32 AM.
pintjuk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eink autoupdate, kobo, linux, source code, x11