Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #91
mastnacek
Enthusiast
mastnacek has learned how to read e-booksmastnacek has learned how to read e-booksmastnacek has learned how to read e-booksmastnacek has learned how to read e-booksmastnacek has learned how to read e-booksmastnacek has learned how to read e-booksmastnacek has learned how to read e-booksmastnacek has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo Mini
Marek, can you make new image with your kernel?
mastnacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:12 AM   #92
allw
allw began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook (OI), sony PRS-T1, kobo aura HD, kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarekGibek View Post
I can see that this thread is still active (and I like it ) so I would like to announce that there are new kernel changes made by me.
Great news ! Do you have any idea why the sleep (in original kobo firmware) does not work anymore and make the kobo mini reboot ?

Thanks !
allw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #93
MarekGibek
Zealot
MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastnacek View Post
Marek, can you make new image with your kernel?
Hi mastnacek! The new kernel image is added as the attchment. Instalation:

- copy uImage file to the reader's FAT32 partition

- execute on the device as a root:

dd if=/mnt/onboard/uImage of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=512 seek=2048
sync

Warning! Yesterday I uploaded wrong file by mistake. The file in the attachment is ok now.

Quote:
Great news ! Do you have any idea why the sleep (in original kobo firmware) does not work anymore and make the kobo mini reboot ?
Allw, suspend from Nickel works ok on my Kobo Touch. I have no idea what the reason may be. Does anybody else have the same problem with Kobo Mini?
Attached Files
File Type: zip uImage.zip (1.80 MB, 466 views)

Last edited by MarekGibek; 11-09-2013 at 05:17 AM.
MarekGibek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:19 AM   #94
allw
allw began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook (OI), sony PRS-T1, kobo aura HD, kobo mini
For the suspend it seems that it is the same as post 29 and 54 report teh same problem than me.
I had a problem with the image's size, I trimed the swap a few sector..perhaps due to that

I'll try to delete the swap and rebuild it (if i manage to)
allw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:14 AM   #95
peyton
Enthusiast
peyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Mini 32GB
Is this project still living ? I saw on page 5/6 that someone should release a mini image and none for now..
peyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2014, 01:04 AM   #96
PhantomWiggler
PhantomWiggler began at the beginning.

Chuck it on an 8GB or larger microSD with USB Image Tool (Windows) or dd (Linux). And as dancol90 mentioned, remember to make a backup first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancol90 View Post
Yes, here's a tutorial I've been working on!

-snip-
Followed this tutorial today to make it using Marek's image. Worked great, am now running debian on my Kobo Mini Thanks to everyone involved.

Last edited by PhantomWiggler; 07-12-2014 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Added picture
PhantomWiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:35 AM   #97
vilsax
Greenhorn
vilsax began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomWiggler View Post

Chuck it on an 8GB or larger microSD with USB Image Tool (Windows) or dd (Linux). And as dancol90 mentioned, remember to make a backup first!

Followed this tutorial today to make it using Marek's image. Worked great, am now running debian on my Kobo Mini Thanks to everyone involved.
Many thanks for your image! It works perfectly.
Finally true "mini computer"

I was looking around in Awesome WM and found out, that it isn't what I really want. It was so rough and ugly, and as as common-user-barely-aware-of-command-line, I was unable to configure it (and I don't want to, because I simply don't like it). I have thin stylus to work with, so I decided to install Xfce (my favorite).

I installed xfce4 and xdm, then changed in .xsessions exec awesome to exec startxfce4 and did the same in .xinitrc (google helped a bit) after restart awesome showed again, but touchscreen didn't work now. With sight hope in mind I removed awesome trough telnet.
Debian booted with xfce, but now I am stuck with not responding touchscreen. I still can access my kobo trough telnet, but I don't know what to do. Did I miss something? Can anybody help?

I saw in another thread that 2bits got xfce working on kobo, but he didn't say how
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fotografia 24.8.2014 o*13.59.jpg
Views:	877
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	127232  
vilsax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:26 PM   #98
MarekGibek
Zealot
MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilsax View Post
after restart awesome showed again, but touchscreen didn't work now
1. First of all I can see that you have different Kobo version than me. In this case it is strongly recommended to do this:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...11#post2701911

And it is better to copy whole "HW CONFIG" section, not only this single byte if you want to be sure that all hardware works as it should.

2. Was touch working before in X11? It's strange, because installing xfce should have nothing to do with it. If yes, I think this may be problem with xorg.conf. Maybe installation of xfce changed it somehow.

Please check xorg.conf file ("Input Device" sections) for changes.

I wrote my custom touch driver (called "kobo_touch_driver.so" or something like this). Please check xorg logs if it is loading correctly during startup. For example if you upgraded xorg server, you may need to recompile it and copy to the system. Source codes are in my home directory (at least in my original image). You can compile it with "make" command.

I wrote it because I had plans to implement multitouch later. But I never did (for touch device I like Android better). Because it is not finished, the universal "evdev" driver is better (for example, it can be configured to simulate RMB and you don't have to recompile it yourself). So it will be the best for you to forget about "kobo_touch_driver" and configure "evdev" driver for touch device in xorg.conf file. I was able to do it one day and it worked perfectly, so read its documentation and try different parameters. Don't forget about updating HW CONFIG section first. If you have the image from PhantomWiggler it is probably correct, but you should check it with your original SD card (sometimes the same kobo model has many revisions with different hardware).

PS. Nazwałeś swoje zdjęcie "Fotografia (...) o (...)"? Dlaczego łamałem sobie język pisząc po angielsku

Last edited by MarekGibek; 08-31-2014 at 01:53 PM.
MarekGibek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:04 PM   #99
vilsax
Greenhorn

Thank you for your huge and complex answer. It works!

2. Yes touch was working before installation.

In xorg.log was written error while loading driver "kobomultitouch.so", so I changed xorg.conf as you said. I didn't have to change any configuration, because it worked just fine. I would never say it will be so simple!

Thank you, again!

Now I only have to force wifi to work.

PS. Got me. But I am from Slovakia
Old 11-24-2014, 09:13 AM   #100
paulz_fr
paulz_fr began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi, vilsax...

I have absolutely the same problem. Install xfce (my preffered as well) and now touchscreen does not work. So try to repair it using telent, but I'm a little bit stuck about xorg.conf. I tested some possibilities, but wothout succes.

Could you write what did you exactly change in xorg? Or may be just share your xorg.conf here...

Thank you in advance...

P.S.: Another big thanks for Marek... This Debian Kobo is avbsolutely wonderful! :-)
paulz_fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:50 PM   #101
vilsax
Greenhorn

Hi paulz_fr!
It is not so hard as it would look...
I only replaced every "kobomultitouch" (or whatever was there, I don't remember) with "evdev" (the last one just for case)
I higlighted it for you here:

Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier    "Layout0"
    Screen        "Screen0"
    InputDevice   "Buttons" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice   "MultiTouch" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier    "Buttons"
    Driver        "evdev"
    Option        "Device" "/dev/input/event0"
    # code 102 (KEY_HOME)
    # code 116 (KEY_POWER)
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "MultiTouch"
    Driver "evdev"
    #Driver "kobomultitouch"
    #Driver "mtrack"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/event1"
    Option "AccelerationScheme" "none"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "MultiTouchEV"
    Driver "evdev"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/event1"
#    Option "EmulateThirdButton" "True"
#    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "True"
#    Option "SwapAxes" "True"
#    Option "InvertX" "True"
EndSection

#Section "InputDevice"
#    Identifier "Touch"
#    Driver "evdev"
#    Option "Device" "/dev/input/event1"
#    Option "EmulateThirdButton" "True"
#    Option "Calibration" "0 799 0 599"
##    Option "SwapAxes" "True"
##    Option "InvertX" "True"
##    Option "Calibration" "-599 500 0 999"
##    Option "Coordinate Transformation Matrix" "0, -1, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1"
#EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier    "Card0"
    Driver        "fbdev"
    Option        "fbdev" "/dev/fb0"
#    Option        "Rotate" "CCW" # CW=90 UD=180 CCW=270
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier    "Screen0"
    Device        "Card0"
EndSection
I am not any programmer, so I maybe did something wrong, but it woks and that's important Let me know if that works for you too.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:40 AM   #102
paulz_fr
paulz_fr began at the beginning.

Thank you very much, vilsax...

It worked perfectly...

By the way... finally do you use XFCE on your Kobo?
For me... once I had a worked touchscreen, I gave a try for XFCE, but found that it's not very friendly with touchscreen. So for the moment I rolled back to awesome environnement.

Probably it's also a question of configuration, as Marek had a great job to pre-configure awesome...
paulz_fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:01 AM   #103
vilsax
Greenhorn

Yes, I do
But I made a thin stylus for my Kobo so I can use it more precisely.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:33 PM   #104
loviedovie
Addict
loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bookeen
Hey people

How is the battery life with Debian img?
loviedovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:23 AM   #105
le_manu
le_manu began at the beginning.

Glo screen resolution setting: How to?

Hello All,

I am Emmanuel from France.

I tried yesterday the debian marek's image on a Kobo GLo.
The Glo boot the debian image but the screen resolution is not setup for Glo.

Is there somebody to explain how to change the screen resolution ?

Thanks

Emmanuel.
le_manu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
image, kobo, linux, tablet, x11