Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 09-30-2011, 05:49 AM   #361
d4v3
d4v3 has learned how to read e-booksd4v3 has learned how to read e-booksd4v3 has learned how to read e-booksd4v3 has learned how to read e-booksd4v3 has learned how to read e-booksd4v3 has learned how to read e-booksd4v3 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle 3 Settings

Hello,

This software is great. Until now I've been forced to read either poor conversions via Kalibre/Amazon Convert or leave them on my PC (which means they dont get read). I have a few small issues which I think might be related to the settings.

I was wondering what the generally accepted settings for the Kindle 3 are. I've had a look through the thread but couldn't find any specifics related directly to this Kindle (mostly seems to be about K2).

I'm using the following settings cobbled from previous posts

Profile: prc-mobi (as default unless specified below)
landscape-half
colours = 16
resolution: any suggestions? Will the optimum resolution change depending on the input document or stay the same?

Does the K3 have the same screen resolution limitation as the K2 (ie 520x622). The "official" resolution is 600x800. I've tried a few (default, 600x800, 600x760 (to allow for the status bar), 520x622, 600x717). It doesn't seem to matter what I use, am getting phantom blank pages.

Also am having a strange problem with the default zoom applied. For example, the top half of a single page might go edge-edge but the next half has a inch border on the right hand side. Most pages have the inch border on both halves. Ideally I'd like them all edge-edge. Also pages with only a few short lines on them appear MASSIVE! IDeally these pages would have proportional size to the rest.

Finally, is there anything you can do about ignoring "blank" pages that say "this page is intentionally left blank"?

Many thanks
Dave
d4v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:31 PM   #362
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4v3 View Post
Hello,

This software is great. Until now I've been forced to read either poor conversions via Kalibre/Amazon Convert or leave them on my PC (which means they dont get read). I have a few small issues which I think might be related to the settings.
Thanks, it does come in handy when all else fails....

Quote:
I was wondering what the generally accepted settings for the Kindle 3 are. I've had a look through the thread but couldn't find any specifics related directly to this Kindle (mostly seems to be about K2).

I'm using the following settings cobbled from previous posts

Profile: prc-mobi (as default unless specified below)
landscape-half
colours = 16
resolution: any suggestions? Will the optimum resolution change depending on the input document or stay the same?

Does the K3 have the same screen resolution limitation as the K2 (ie 520x622). The "official" resolution is 600x800. I've tried a few (default, 600x800, 600x760 (to allow for the status bar), 520x622, 600x717). It doesn't seem to matter what I use, am getting phantom blank pages.
At the bottom of post #1 of this thread, it has the following about the best dimension to use with the K2, namely:
Code:
Note: A Kindle 2 specific resolution (480x622) has been found to best work with no blank pages in between.
Quote:
Also am having a strange problem with the default zoom applied. For example, the top half of a single page might go edge-edge but the next half has a inch border on the right hand side. Most pages have the inch border on both halves. Ideally I'd like them all edge-edge. Also pages with only a few short lines on them appear MASSIVE! IDeally these pages would have proportional size to the rest.
At the bottom of post #1, the last EDIT has a link to a revised pdfread.exe executable that somewhat solves this problem, i.e.:
Quote:
It's available in this post. Contains a modified pdfread.exe executable that now limits the expansion of small cropped pages to a more reasonable level (finally!).
Quote:
Finally, is there anything you can do about ignoring "blank" pages that say "this page is intentionally left blank"?

Many thanks
Dave
Your best bet for the latter is to run PDFRead in "debug" mode and manually edit the the .opf to remove the offending page(s) after PDFRead finishes. Then just re-generate the edited version using Mobipocket Creator or calibre.

Please note that "debug" mode is simply "placing an empty file called 'debug' in the PDFRead home directory will allow the temp directory to not be deleted at completion".

Hope this helps.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2011, 04:49 PM   #363
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

September 30, 2011 milestone

Some PDFRead news/fun at this post in the lounge...

Basically, PDFRead has been downloaded 23,717 times; that being one more time than the BookDesigner program in the Workshop forum.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:13 PM   #364
d4v3
d4v3 has learned how to read e-booksd4v3 has learned how to read e-booksd4v3 has learned how to read e-booksd4v3 has learned how to read e-booksd4v3 has learned how to read e-booksd4v3 has learned how to read e-booksd4v3 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post

At the bottom of post #1 of this thread, it has the following about the best dimension to use with the K2, namely:
Thanks, I didn't know whether the K2 settings would work on my K3, I thought the K3 would have a different screen or something.

I'll take a look at the other things you suggest as well.

Thanks & have a great weekend
Dave

Edit: And congrats re: the stats. Might have been my download that tipped it over ;-)
d4v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:25 PM   #365
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4v3 View Post
Thanks, I didn't know whether the K2 settings would work on my K3, I thought the K3 would have a different screen or something.

I'll take a look at the other things you suggest as well.

Thanks & have a great weekend
Dave

Edit: And congrats re: the stats. Might have been my download that tipped it over ;-)
You certainly were part of it.... Thanks for refreshing this post...
Advert
Old 10-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #366
daesdaemar
Addict
daesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3, iPad 3
I have used PDFRead through several versions, including the most recent. The problem that I have is that on almost every page there is a line of text that cut off partially either at the bottom or top of the page. This makes the reading unpleasant as I find myself trying to interpret partially "amputated" letters/words on virtually every page. Otherwise very nice program...
Any fix for this?
daesdaemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:36 AM   #367
nrapallo

Just ignore that cut line and advance to the next page to read the full line...
Old 10-09-2011, 09:34 PM   #368
daesdaemar
Addict
daesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3, iPad 3
Quote:
Just ignore that cut line and advance to the next page to read the full line...
The cut line carries on to the next page. I lose the line, it never appears in its entirety
daesdaemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:55 AM   #369
nrapallo

It is supposed to repeat a small portion around the cut page onto the next page so that this doesn't happen and reading is NOT affected by the cutting.

Could you upload here a sample output your are getting along with the original and the settings you used? i.e. profile, layout mode, rotation, etc.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:16 PM   #370
AutumnDemon
AutumnDemon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
PDFRead crashes with this message when trying to convert a certain dvju file:

Code:
File "pdfread.py", line 207, in <module>
File "pdfread.py", line 84, in main
File "pdfread.py", line 43, in convert
File "input.pyc", line 125, in get_page
File "Image.pyc", line 1916, in open
IOError: cannot identify image file
It crashes whenever it's on a blank page. For example, if pages 8 and 25 are completely blank, then converting pages 9-24 will work. Is there any way to select multiple page ranges in PDFRead; for example, 1-7, 9-24, 26-73?

Or could anyone point me to a program that deletes pages from djvu files?
AutumnDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:13 AM   #371
starhu
starhu began at the beginning.

Problem with long books...

Hello,

I use PdfRead 1.8.2 with the following settings:

In: pdf, out: prc
Output: default
profile: prc-mobi, layout: portrait
rotation: left, dpi:400
size 600x800, colorspace: gray, colors: 16
optimize Pngs

Normally the PdfRead creates the prc files in the directory where the pdf was.

With some books it doesn't do it, instead it makes the Png-s in a temp directory e.g. C:\docume~1\joe\locals~1\temp\pdfread-vkmsrq

I noticed that if I set only a few pages then it works.

What can it cause this?
If you want I can send you a pdf file to test it.

Thank you

Last edited by Jellby; 12-28-2011 at 06:38 AM. Reason: avoid smilies
starhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:21 AM   #372
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by starhu View Post
With some books it doesn't do it, instead it makes the Png-s in a temp directory e.g. C:\docume~1\joe\locals~1\temp\pdfread-vkmsrq

I noticed that if I set only a few pages then it works.

What can it cause this?
If you want I can send you a pdf file to test it.

Thank you
When PDFRead doesn't finish properly, it opens up the temp folder and you can see how far it got. My guess is that there is a corrupt/unrecognizable page somewhere after the 'page range' that works. That's why it can complete for that 'page range', but not for the entire pdf.

Try re-saving the pdf, perhaps using a lower compatibility like PDF 1.4.

Also, try to eliminate JPEG2000 images if the are in that pdf file.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:26 AM   #373
starhu
starhu began at the beginning.

Quote:
When PDFRead doesn't finish properly, it opens up the temp folder and you can see how far it got. My guess is that there is a corrupt/unrecognizable page somewhere after the 'page range' that works. That's why it can complete for that 'page range', but not for the entire pdf.

Try re-saving the pdf, perhaps using a lower compatibility like PDF 1.4.

Also, try to eliminate JPEG2000 images if the are in that pdf file.
Hello,

I checked it and all the pages were in the temp folder including the first and the last so it should be some other thing.
I noticed at a previous pdf that if the filename contained space it behaved as described but with this - this is not the issue.

I uploaded such a file at 85.10.207.168/ideig/pdf/o.pdf to have a look.

I don't know what software I should use to re-save the pdf...

Thank you very much
starhu is offline   Reply With Quote