Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-07-2012, 06:24 AM   #61
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphi19 View Post
Thanks, very much appreciated. Do you use OverDrive for your Sony (is supposed to be 'built-in' in the latest PRS-T models) ones at all? Also, if you were to buy a new ebook reader (I'm new to eReaders) would you choose Kobo Glo or Sony PRS-T2? I understand Kobo Glo has a better screen resolution but then Sony has a better Japanese/English Dictionary?
Quite frankly, I'm praying that my Sony 505 lives forever, 'cuz what I saw today didn't impress me in the least. Personally, I have no need of any of the newer features, wi-fi, touch screens, annotations, or even dictionaries. I went there thinking of picking up a Kobo, just because they were inexpensive and would serve as an epub backup for me should something happen to my reader, but after reading on it for 5 minutes, I really didn't care for the screen. There were 'ghost' letters on both the Touch and the Glo. At least as compared with the Sonys. The Kindle did have a whiter page look to it, but even that didn't move me to want to buy it.

Of all that I saw, if forced to choose, I'd go with the one that I bought for my wife, the PRS-650. According to my wife, it has a very good dictionary.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:19 AM   #62
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Stitchawl: Just wanted to mention that the ghost-letters thing is easily solvable. Kobo readers default to a full page refresh every six page turns. However you can change the setting. Myself, I prefer a full refresh every four page turns.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2012, 08:52 AM   #63
silverspear
Connoisseur
silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
hi I'm back from my holiday many thanks to stitchcrawl for helping me out with the availability check for these weeks prior to my arrival!

ok, back to the topic of setting up my Kobo... I can now confirm that when I reset my unit and try again in my home country, the setup will revert and ask me for my Kobo id, and NOT my Rakuten id!

so all is good, and I can confirm once again that both kindle paperwhite, and Kobo glory when bought in Japan, can be used just like an international model. there is no difficulty in setting it up for international use. (with the exception of the Kobo having the need to be set up in your home country in order for you to be able to log in with your Kobo username.)
silverspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #64
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
Stitchawl: Just wanted to mention that the ghost-letters thing is easily solvable. Kobo readers default to a full page refresh every six page turns. However you can change the setting. Myself, I prefer a full refresh every four page turns.

No need to do it at all with the Sony. Six pages or four. It just doesn't occur.

Stitchawl
Old 12-07-2012, 05:48 PM   #65
delphi19
delphi19 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Of all that I saw, if forced to choose, I'd go with the one that I bought for my wife, the PRS-650. According to my wife, it has a very good dictionary.
Stitchawl
Thanks, I don't think the older model is still available. Besides, I'm used to WiFi for borrowing library books without a PC and quick lookup using browser/wikipedia (I use 7'' tablet as a eReader now). So it's really a tossup between Kobo Glo and Sony PRS-T2...
delphi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #66
delphi19
delphi19 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspear View Post
Kobo glory when bought in Japan, can be used just like an international model. there is no difficulty in setting it up for international use.
Did it come with a Japanese Dictionary - was it any good? Also, do you need to use a PC for using borrowed public library eBooks or you can just install OverDrive on the Kobo Glo and borrow (like on Sonys) them directly? Thanks.
delphi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:32 AM   #67
Stitchawl
Opsimath

I just saw the Kobo on sale at Aeon Mall today for ¥6700. That's ¥1,000 less than it was selling for at Bic Camera a few days ago!

Stitchawl
Old 12-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #68
silverspear
Connoisseur
silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I just saw the Kobo on sale at Aeon Mall today for ¥6700. That's ¥1,000 less than it was selling for at Bic Camera a few days ago!

Stitchawl
was that for the kobo touch or the kobo glo?
Old 12-11-2012, 12:29 AM   #69
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
was that for the kobo touch or the kobo glo?

It was for the Touch... unless I'm mistaken.

Stitchawl
Old 12-11-2012, 01:02 AM   #70
silverspear
Connoisseur

BIC was selling the touch for 6780 or 6980 if i'm not mistaken.. =) so the price is right about there.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:04 AM   #71
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
BIC was selling the touch for 6780 or 6980 if i'm not mistaken.. =) so the price is right about there.
I'll be going there tomorrow. I'll take a look.

Stitchawl
Old 12-12-2012, 02:04 AM   #72
Stitchawl
Opsimath

OK... Just back from Bic Camera next to Kyoto Station.

The Kobo Touch is selling for ¥6780 and the Kobo Glo for ¥7890. At least those were the prices listed. The didn't have any Kobo Glo's to sell... I couldn't get them to tell me if they were out of stock or never been IN stock! He just kept repeating 'Sorry, we don't have the Kobo Glo to sell to you.' The last time I was in there (2 weeks ago?) although they had one on display, the manager had no idea of the price or when they would get them into the store. The did have the Touch in stock.

Stitchawl
Old 04-15-2015, 01:23 PM   #73
ryuji35
Zealot
ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PPW5 Signature, Kobo Libra 2, Samsung Tab S6 Lite
What about in Nagano? What retail stores can we get Kobo? My mom lives in Japan and she's not sure on how to do online shopping.
ryuji35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:18 PM   #74
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
No need to do it at all with the Sony. Six pages or four. It just doesn't occur.

Stitchawl
Odd... I seem to remember seeing ghosting on a Sony. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but ghosting is pretty much a "feature" of eink screens. Even with the Regal technology, it hasn't disappeared.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:30 AM   #75
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Odd... I seem to remember seeing ghosting on a Sony. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but ghosting is pretty much a "feature" of eink screens. Even with the Regal technology, it hasn't disappeared.
The Sony PRS-x50 series and earlier didn't have problems with ghosting--because they did a full refresh with every page turn--no options for partial refresh. Not sure about the T-1, T-2, or T-3.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote