Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-06-2011, 09:36 AM   #1
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Sony Store... bypassing the Sony Reader?

Does anyone know a way to purchase books from the Sony eBook store WITHOUT installing their Reader Software? I already have ADE and I don't want more software on my machine particularly (and this is just a personal opinion - NOT a flame war bomb) anything written by Sony.

Several of my favorite Margaret Atwood books are only available on the Sony store, and there's no "add to cart" option, just a "want this ebook?" button that expands to say:

"Our Reader™ software is required to purchase and download eBooks."

I just want to buy the book and download it into ADE for my use; I don't want to use/install Sony's Reader software.

anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:39 AM   #2
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
A, Google the book titles you want. They are probably available elsewhere.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2011, 09:54 AM   #3
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
It's not possible to purchase from the Sony Store without the Reader Library software.

Have you tried some of the ebook price comparison sites?

I'm not sure if these are geographically restricted, but I have access to Margaret Atwood books at Kobo, which can use ADE to download. Apply some of the coupons if you can and the prices are reasonable.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:25 AM   #4
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've checked Inkmesh - best I can see, the books I want are not available elsewhere (at least, not to US citizens):

http://inkmesh.com/ebooks/alias-grac...qs=alias+grace

(I wouldn't have asked if I wasn't pretty sure I can't get them elsewhere. I really hate wrangling with Sony software. )

If the Reader software is installed, can you still download the book to ADE and never use the Reader program?
Old 05-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I really hate wrangling with Sony software.
A, The Sony Reader software is quite reliably easy to deal with.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2011, 11:12 AM   #6
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
I just checked for Alias Grace on my sony reader library, and it is not available in the US, if that is where you are. Probably only available in Canada.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:44 AM   #7
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

If the Reader software is installed, can you still download the book to ADE and never use the Reader program?

Whether or not you think the Sony Reader software is great has nothing to do with my question.

Whether or not you think X book is/isn't available at Sony or is/isn't available elsewhere on Google has nothing to do with my question.

I've been checking back every time there is a response, and I'm really only looking for "on-topic" responses, not individual parsing of whether or not a book can be found elsewhere or (god help me) a flame war over my Sony software opinions. Can people please limit their responses to "on-topic" responses, and - if no one knows the answer to my question - then we'll let the thread die a noble death.

Thank you for putting up with my hissy fit just now.

Last edited by anamardoll; 05-06-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:59 AM   #8
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
It's not possible to purchase from the Sony Store without the Reader Library software.
You have the answer already. So you either have to suck it up and install the Sony Reader software if you must buy a book from Sony, or find the book elsewhere. You can always uninstall the Sony software once you purchased your books.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 05-06-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:05 PM   #9
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
You have the answer already. So you either have to suck it up and install the Sony Reader software if you must buy a book from Sony, or find the book elsewhere. You can always uninstall the Sony software once you purchased your books.
I have the answer that you can't BUY books from their store without installing the Reader software.

I then asked, OK, once the software is installed, can I buy the book and download it to ADE instead?

That is my question now. Telling me to "suck it up" is pointless because I've already accepted that I have to install the software to PURCHASE the book; now I'm asking if I have to use the software to ACCESS the book.

I understand that Sony uses Adobe DRM, so I'm wondering if the purchased book can be downloaded into ADE and managed there.

Can you please answer that question for me?
Old 05-06-2011, 12:05 PM   #10
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I honestly don't know because I have the Sony Reader software on my computer though I use Calibre to download as much as I use the Sony Reader library.

I see you don't have a Sony Reader so are you trying to download using a Nook or Pocketbook?

Last edited by Pomtroll; 05-06-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:15 PM   #11
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I have the answer that you can't BUY books from their store without installing the Reader software.

I then asked, OK, once the software is installed, can I buy the book and download it to ADE instead?

That is my question now. Telling me to "suck it up" is pointless because I've already accepted that I have to install the software to PURCHASE the book; now I'm asking if I have to use the software to ACCESS the book.

I understand that Sony uses Adobe DRM, so I'm wondering if the purchased book can be downloaded into ADE and managed there.

Can you please answer that question for me?
You can always import the ebook or the whole folder from the Reader Library into ADE, which creates a logical link. Or, you can use whatever file manager you have (i.e. Windows Explorer) to physically copy or move the file/folder from Reader Library to ADE.

Either way, you can manage your ebooks with ADE.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:17 PM   #12
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
You can always import the ebook or the whole folder from the Reader Library into ADE, which creates a logical link. Or, you can use whatever file manager you have (i.e. Windows Explorer) to physically copy or move the file/folder from Reader Library to ADE.

Either way, you can manage your ebooks with ADE.
Thank you!!

Didn't want to plunk down hard cash until I was sure.

Thank you again.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:19 PM   #13
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
You have to install the software and buy the books from it. For buying books you have to create an account at the Sony Store. If you use the same email than in Adobe you can download it and LATER import it in ADE without problem. But you have to purchase and download them them with the Sony software.

Last edited by Terisa de morgan; 05-06-2011 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Sorry for the duplicated answer.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:27 PM   #14
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
You have to install the software and buy the books from it. For buying books you have to create an account at the Sony Store. If you use the same email than in Adobe you can download it and LATER import it in ADE without problem. But you have to purchase and download them them with the Sony software.
It's a good reminder to use the same email account (Adobe ID) when installing the Reader Library else you will run into DRM problems.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:39 PM   #15
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
It's a good reminder to use the same email account (Adobe ID) when installing the Reader Library else you will run into DRM problems.
Thank you, that's very valuable advice.

Can I check what my Adobe ID email is? I installed and setup ADE months ago and I can't remember which of my email addresses I used in the creation of my ID.

EDIT: Nevermind. I remembered it, and apparently there's no way to check outside of contacting customer support at Adobe.