Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 07-17-2009, 06:52 AM   #1
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Device: Many ebook readers at my house
Librarian slow to start up

Hi gang, long time answerer, first time asker

eBookwise librarian takes 2 minutes 15 seconds to start up. I've uninstalled/reinstalled, moved all ebooks out of the read bookshelf in case it's caching titles on start up and run a registry cleaner with out luck.

Is yous this slow or am I in need of some help?

Michael
250 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:28 AM   #2
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
Does it still take that long to start if your library is moved elsewhere where it can't find your books?

The reason I ask, it scans for catagories on launch. I've since switched to using Calibre to store my books, and point the free tools Nick wrote to get them on the 1150.
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:13 PM   #3
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250 Coupe View Post
eBookwise librarian takes 2 minutes 15 seconds to start up.

Is yous this slow or am I in need of some help?

Michael
When I have A LOT of ebooks stored in the library that eBookwise Librarian uses, then I too see a long wait. However, my wait is only like 30 - 40 seconds with about 1000 .imp files over a dozen or so folders.

Do you have a huge amount of .imp's stored? If so, try what shighfield suggested, move out the bulk of your library to a different (temporary) location and try again!

Last year, we (shighfield and I) were stumped trying to find where the Librarian program stored it's categories, only to find out that the Librarian program builds a list of all categories used 'on-the-fly' upon startup. I suspect, this may be the reason for your long startup time; (or a corrupt .imp )

Regards,

Last edited by nrapallo; 07-18-2009 at 10:20 AM. Reason: typo
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:12 AM   #4
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
That was a heck of a thing. I was so glad when we found out that it built the list on the fly as I thought I was going crazy not being able to find it.
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:00 PM   #5
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

I've only 25 or 30 imps where Librarian can find them and just two categories. I tried moving the files to a location it can't find without success.

I did wonder if it's arguing with my router for an IP address. That and imp files are labeled as being registered to Softbook publisher rather than eBookwise librarian. Double clicking a file opens the eBookwise librarian correctly so I'm not sure what's up with that.

It's probably doing some sort of house keeping since it slows the PC to a crawl but I have not figured out what it's doing.

Michael
Old 07-18-2009, 12:07 PM   #6
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250 Coupe View Post
I did wonder if it's arguing with my router for an IP address.
It does "call home" via the internet and sets up a local server (to send the .imp's to your reader). So perhaps it is a firewall/router issue!!!

Quote:
That and imp files are labeled as being registered to Softbook publisher rather than eBookwise librarian. Double clicking a file opens the eBookwise librarian correctly so I'm not sure what's up with that.
If you install the eBook Publisher software, then it should be registered as "eBook Edition".

Quote:
It's probably doing some sort of house keeping since it slows the PC to a crawl but I have not figured out what it's doing.

Michael
So it doesn't work with, say, only one .imp in your library?
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:16 PM   #7
250 Coupe
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
It does "call home" via the internet and sets up a local server (to send the .imp's to your reader). So perhaps it is a firewall/router issue!!!

If you install the eBook Publisher software, then it should be registered as "eBook Edition".

So it doesn't work with, say, only one .imp in your library?

I had trouble in the past getting the REB1200 to talk to the Librarian but noticed that the program listed an IP and port, so I set the REB1200 proxy to match and it works fine but wouldn't be surprised if Zone Alarm is messing with me.

At some point, I installed the Softbook Publisher which is why it shows up in Explorer. I've never seen evidence of it working altho MS Word has a save as softbook option now.

It's still slow with no imps and I'll give it a try with just one imp soon, it's now sleepy time for me, just got home from work.

Thanks for your help,
Michael