Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #46
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-Ron View Post
The new magical thing is the Apple branded TV, isn't it?
Apple TV? Are you serious? This is what Apple says about it:
quoted from here
Quote:
Apple TV.
Now there’s always something good on TV. Apple TV

Apple TV gives you access to the best 1080p HD content — including blockbuster movies, your music and photos, and more — right on your widescreen TV. You can even play content from your iOS devices on your TV using AirPlay.
Apple TV requires one HDMI cable (sold separately).
In Stock
Free Shipping
$99.00
That is a pretty big pricetag for a new "magical" thing. I fail to see though what the magic is. Every cheap dvd / bd player does that - plus it plays round discs. Am I missing something? Oh the AirPlay maybe? Are they admitting that their devices are too powerful, so that the screen is too small?

Update: Oh you mean apple branded tv as in screen and all? The one thing they can do there is bring a 4k screen to consumers, offer builtin upscaling of HD content. Boom, it would sell like hot cakes. If you already got a TV (many do) - then the black box will work just fine, not?

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 01-11-2013 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Apple Branded TV
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
That is a pretty big pricetag for a new "magical" thing. I fail to see though what the magic is. Every cheap dvd / bd player does that - plus it plays round discs. Am I missing something? Oh the AirPlay maybe? Are they admitting that their devices are too powerful, so that the screen is too small?
The previous poster was talking about a different thing: an Apple branded TV set, not the "Apple TV" media streamer.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #48
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The previous poster was talking about a different thing: an Apple branded TV set, not the "Apple TV" media streamer.
Yes thank you, the morning before coffee injection. The plans for Apple's TV are for 32" and maybe a 37" model. I fail to see how that fits into movie watching experience any more. Target group? Mhh, already got a big TV, a little one for the bedroom would be nice. My little tv in the bedroom is 40". I guess I am no good potential customer when it comes to iProducts.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I use a Western Digital "HD TV Live" media streamer myself. I've had it for about two years, and I can honestly say it's one of the most useful things I've ever bought. Handles pretty much every video format I can throw at it, and I can plug any USB drive into it, or stream files over my network.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #50
Ti-Ron
Connoisseur
Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post

Update: Oh you mean apple branded tv as in screen and all? The one thing they can do there is bring a 4k screen to consumers, offer builtin upscaling of HD content. Boom, it would sell like hot cakes. If you already got a TV (many do) - then the black box will work just fine, not?
Quote:
Yep, that was I was talking about! Apple branded TV would be a hot cake for sure. Imagine an entire home based on the Apple environement, should be a dream for many people!

Add a set of Phillip's lights and you're ready to live the entire Apple's reality!
Phillip's Hue lights set
Ti-Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-Ron View Post
Yep, that was I was talking about! Apple branded TV would be a hot cake for sure. Imagine an entire home based on the Apple environement, should be a dream for many people!
The reason I prefer my distinctly non-Apple media streamer is that it can play anything I throw at it. The Apple streamer (and I'd guess any future Apple-branded TV) has extremely limited format support.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #52
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
4K TVs with upscaling are coming from everybody. Sony, Sharp, LG, Samsung, Westinghouse, Vizio...
The more interesting ones use do full-HD Passive 3D and/or let two viewers see two different things on the same full screen. If Apple is going to get into that game they'd better hurry.

Streaming boxes? Apple TV is strictly for the faithful.
You can do better (as in more formats and way more content sources) living room streaming with BD players, TVs, audio receivers, Roku boxes, Xbox, PX3, Wii, and pretty much every gadget with an "ON" switch.

When it comes to the war for the living room, Apple isn't just fashionably late; they've skipped two full generations, maybe three. By now a lot of the market has already committed to one platform or another. And that is the reason why an Apple HDTV set has remained a rumor.

Last edited by fjtorres; 01-11-2013 at 12:03 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #53
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
And I read this morning that the rebuff from Apple had been retracted.

Source
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #54
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Should that be my next TV? a 4K from vizio?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #55
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
And I read this morning that the rebuff from Apple had been retracted.

Source
That makes it sound more certain to me...
Old 01-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #56
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Should that be my next TV? a 4K from vizio?
If you're in the market for a 70in-plus set and don't mind high 4-digit pricing.

We *are* talking flagship sets, after all.
(Although there is a 32in 4K set incoming, most run from 70 to 110 inches.)
Figure 3 years before they become merely pricey.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #57
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I've never seen the attraction of these huge TV sets. I have a 32" set, and I wouldn't want anything larger.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #58
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I've never seen the attraction of these huge TV sets. I have a 32" set, and I wouldn't want anything larger.
I sure would.

My largest set is also 32" and it's fine, but if I had money and nothing better to do with it, I'd love a 50" in it's place! (Then I would move the 32" to the bedroom....)

What's not to love about a personal movie screen!?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #59
kennyc

Quote:
I got 15" on ya Harry. I love it! 70" is awfully big though. I think I'd go for the projector type instead of a physical 70" screen....

Of course I don't watch that much TV - news and Science/Nature and a movie now and then...

I upgraded to the vizio 47 with internet a couple of years back. Unfortunately it has this weird reset problem (I think has to do with the wifi network) it will sometimes just shut down and have to go through it's full power up cycle. which takes a couple of minutes. It drives me crazy and seems to happen at least once a day. often when I turn it off. I keep thinking it's just going to die and I'll get it replaced since I did buy the extended warranty (in this ONE case) which is still good for one more year....otherwise if I try to get them to fix it I'm going to have to go through all the hassle of packing/shipping etc. etc. etc.
And it does work fine other that this one totally annoying problem.

Last edited by kennyc; 01-11-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #60
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
I ask you dear friends.

Who can you believe if not Apple?

...ohh ...

I mean of course Apple's last statement on the matter. Disregard all previous statements please. Please!

(On a strictly personal level, I really enjoy all the knee jerking done by the Apple faithful.)

On another matter entirely, there is a rumor that Steve Jobs is coming back in a giant Apple space ship in the tail of a giant Comet. There is speculation right now on the shape of the giant Comet!
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote