Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-31-2010, 10:38 PM   #1
psycholoner
Enthusiast
psycholoner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Kindle DXG Housing

I was just wondering if the housing on my kindle is normal compared to others. This is the first ebook reader I've ever bought, and I was just wondering about it.

I don't know if it affects the original dx or other dxgs, but every time I try to apply pressure on to the top gray part of the kindle, it makes a creaking sound. I know this is the part where you would start disassembling it, but is it really supposed to be like that?

I'm also wondering about the home button...well...more like, the part of the shell directly next to the home button. A very, and I mean VERY, minor crack has appeared next to the home button. Honestly, I'm not even sure that it can be considered as a crack. I would normal just pass it of as a micro-scratch, but I can't deny the fact that on the mostly flat face-plate of the kindle, this hairline "crack" appears in the dead center of the bump next to the Home button.

It really might just be a scratch, and because it cost me so much, I'm also quite paranoid at this point, but the bump really makes me curious.
Anyone else have these problems? Or is this normal?

Last edited by psycholoner; 07-31-2010 at 10:42 PM. Reason: erasing info I found was false.
psycholoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:48 PM   #2
PharaohsVizier
Connoisseur
PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DXG, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
Amazon was willing to replace my white DX for the EXACT same crack beside the home button. Except mine grew over time.
PharaohsVizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2010, 11:02 PM   #3
psycholoner
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharaohsVizier View Post
Amazon was willing to replace my white DX for the EXACT same crack beside the home button. Except mine grew over time.
That was a quick reply. Thanks for letting me know about that. I'm not planning on sending it in right now, but if it gets worse, at least I know I can send it back. But is the top back piece supposed to make noise like that?
Old 07-31-2010, 11:19 PM   #4
Yojinbo
Enthusiast
Yojinbo began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis, Aura One, Lumi
I would send it back now. They will gladly replace it - Kindle Customer Service has been excellent for me.

Please don't wait and expose yourself to regret.
Yojinbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:32 PM   #5
PharaohsVizier
Connoisseur
PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know what the creak is, you didn't really describe the location that well.
Advert
Old 08-01-2010, 01:04 AM   #6
psycholoner
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharaohsVizier View Post
I don't know what the creak is, you didn't really describe the location that well.
Its the top part on the back that is a different colour than the rest of it. Its where the power switch is attached. I've seen it be referred to as the antenna cover in another post.

When I hold the kindle from the top, it makes an annoying creaking sound from the two pieces of plastic rubbing against each other. Its similar to the sound of creaking floor boards, or the sound this logitech keyboard in front of me makes whenever I apply pressure to the bottom of it where my palm is.

Lets put it more simply. My kindle is on the table. I pick it up from the top, my thumb on the amazon logo, and all my other fingers on the antenna cover. I lift it up with the kindle parallel to the table. It makes a creaking sound. Does yours?

Last edited by psycholoner; 08-01-2010 at 01:06 AM.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:23 AM   #7
PharaohsVizier
Connoisseur

Nope, doesn't seem to be a problem for me.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:56 AM   #8
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
That's probably the most stressful way to pick it up, actually. It would be less stressful on the unit to tilt it up first, then pick it up, or use your method from the side (look up moment, engineering). However, your kindle, your preference.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:30 AM   #9
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
If mine had your issues, I'd get it replaced.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:41 PM   #10
psycholoner
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiXSendai View Post
That's probably the most stressful way to pick it up, actually. It would be less stressful on the unit to tilt it up first, then pick it up, or use your method from the side (look up moment, engineering). However, your kindle, your preference.
I actually don't pick it up like that. The sound shows up whenever I apply ANY pressure to the antenna cover (such as just simply reading in landscape). But if I tried to explain it like that, it would have been confusing. I just mentioned a way that would ALWAYS end up making the sound. If someone else did the same thing to theirs, and the sound didn't show up, then it means that there is definitely something wrong with mine.

Anyway, thanks for the help everyone!
Old 09-28-2010, 07:02 AM   #11
Nordlys
Nordlys began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX (white)
I'm in engineering plastic (injection molding) business. The molding defects (hairline crack) in our industry is a pretty common one called weld line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Injecti...olding_defects
http://www.plastictroubleshooter.com...knit_lines.htm

It happened to my older generation DX (white) too right in between the USB port at the bottom and the space bar. It was probably there in the first place invisible, probably at where the molten plastic flow meet around the hole or the obstacle in the mold (space bar and USB port in my case), making it one of the weakest spot in the molded part and it probably started to crack open over the time with slight pressure applied. Given how thin the plastic housing of the Kindle is I'm not at all surprised this happened.

Now does anyone know if replacement policy is applicable for overseas consumers? And if upgrade with Graphite model for extra cost available?
Nordlys is offline   Reply With Quote