Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-25-2010, 08:35 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
B&N eReader Now Out for Windows Mobile (sorta)

crossposted from The Digital Reader

Epub! Adobe! Oh my!

There is no official release yet, but a hacked version of B&N eReader (v1.0 for Windows Mobile) is now available. It was pulled from a working unit by David K of Mobility Digest. He created a cab file so it should be possible to install on any Windows Mobile device. I don't have a device running WinMo (no Hell hasn't frozen over ), so I'm going to need someone to test this for me and tell me how well it works. Would anyone like to review it?

via Mobility Digest

download from xda-developers (membership required)
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:08 PM   #2
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My HTC Touch Pro 2 will be arriving in about a week... at that point, I'll be glad to test it!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2010, 10:08 PM   #3
yessirrom
Connoisseur
yessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enough

Device: HTC HD2 and i-Pad
I have an HTC HD2 from Europe. I also have a nook. I downloaded the WM app and it works quite well. I logged into my B&N account without any problems.

It starts with the following tabs;

Library
It had my library list which can be sorted by recent, author, or title. There are links to download any of the books in my library.

Reading Now
This of course takes you directly to your current book and place within. It does not appear to sync with the nook. (This would be a killer feature)

Shop
This launches the web browser on my phone (opera) and takes me directly to the search screen of the mobile version of B&N's web site. It lists bestsellers, new releases, etc. I had to log in again to access my account. It is far better to surf the site on my phone than on the nook!

Settings
This area allows you to change the font size (6 settings available), line spacing (4 settings), margins (6 settings), page turn gestures (tap or swipe), and turn the animated page turn feature on or off.

The reader itself is pretty straight forward. I have long used mobipocket on a pocket pc and this app is just as usable. I do not see an option for changing the font. The reading screen defaults to full screen. If you tap the screen, a progress bar with current and total pages listed.

I loaded the free book If I were you by L. Ron Hubbard. There are hyperlinks to the glossary at the end of the book. One hiccup however, I cannot figure out how to get back to my previous place after linking to the glossary entry. There is a back button but it works like a web page and takes you to your previous activity instead of previous position in the book. I do not see any stand alone dictionary support.

On a lark, I added an epub book into the reader directory. I could not read it with the app. It did not sync with my account either. I know, too good to be expected.

I like the app, for casual use. I do not see it taking the place of mobipocket.

Pros
Access to my account and library.
Access to store.
Very readable on my 4" screen.
Nice adjustments for text size, margins.
Nice adjustments for turning pages. Tap or swipe and where these take place.

Cons
No dictionary support.
No syncing with the nook.
No additional fonts.
Navigation bug, cannot go back to previous position after hyper link jump.
No side loading of content.
yessirrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:15 PM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
What am I missing? Hasn't eReader had a Windows Mobile app forever? I have eReader on my PDA...
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:16 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
What am I missing? Hasn't eReader had a Windows Mobile app forever? I have eReader on my PDA...
The old app was eReader, the new one is B&N eReader. The difference is that the new app has support for Adobe DE DRM as well as all the latest features of the B&N ebookstore.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2010, 09:04 AM   #6
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yessirrom View Post
I have an HTC HD2 from Europe.
I see the T-Mobile HD2 includes the B&N Reader on it. I take it yours did not?
Old 03-26-2010, 11:41 AM   #7
Piscean
Piscean began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7, Windows Phone, ASUS tablet
Where does the B&N eReader store its library?

I've tried putting personal content into \Program Files\BN eReader\Books, but they don't show up in the library on the device (HTC Touch Pro 2).

Trying a different approach, I also don't see an obvious way to upload personal content to the online site like you can do with Fictionwise.
Piscean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:43 PM   #8
yessirrom
Connoisseur
yessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enough

Device: HTC HD2 and i-Pad
Mine did not have the reader. I have had my phone for about a 6 months now. I could not get anything to show up by manually adding it. It looks like it only picks up what is on the B&N server. There is no way to add personal material to your account that I am aware of.

I have had my nook since February and have yet to buy a book from B&N. I usually buy from fictionwise and convert. I still have about $100 in micropay on fictionwise. When I spend it all I will buy from B&N. If the phone app starts to sync position within a book on both the nook and phone I will buy from them sooner. This feature is my most wanted wish. I am even tempted to go with an ipad and iphone to get it. Kindle and iphone combo was pretty tempting, but I have a lot of money invested in windows mobile software.

I read a book every two weeks or so.
yessirrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:30 AM   #9
emai7s2
Connoisseur
emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.

Device: Palm & PPC
I had no success installing B&N eReader (v1.0 for Windows Mobile) on a Dell Axim X50v running WM2003SE. The installation file was not recognized.
emai7s2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:21 AM   #10
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Just stopped by the B&N site, and there's no WinMo app in there yet. Guess I'll have to sign up for a site I'll never use again, just to get this app...

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 04-09-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:52 AM   #11
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

I just tried out the app on my Touch Pro 2: The app opens my B&N library, and a list of books I can download, from their website. However, none of the books in my online library would download on the TP2; I got messages that state “Title not currently supported on B&N eReader for this device.” Also, the app gave me no way to access any books I already had stored on my device. And unfortunately, there was no way I could find to specify my reading device on their website (unless I owned one of their supported devices, or a Nook… WinMo devices are still not supported.

So, it's pretty useless as far as I'm concerned... so far.

See my evaluation of this, and other apps, on the TP2.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 04-12-2010 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:14 PM   #12
SEKKDS
SEKKDS began at the beginning.

Thumbs down Another Windows Mobile failure

I thought I'd put my two cents into this. I use a Sprint HTC Touch Pro2, running WM 6.5. I too downloaded the .cab file for the BN reader, and all seemed well. It connects to my library and I've gotten a few books downloaded for free that were readable on my device.

However.....

I purchased one title from a desktop at BN's website, and it had shown up in my library on my TP2. I attempt to download it, only to come to a screeching halt saying the book is not compatible with my device (I think it said something like this, my memory fails me......) Ultimately, it would not download, it would not work.

I then actually contacted a BN customer service rep via telephone. And this is what amazed me. It seemed like they did some research into it, and their conclusion was that there was no way of telling which e-books would work and which would not with Windows Mobile's BN reader.

So, while it seems I have a working BN reader program on my WM device, only through trial and error can I determine which books are actually readable on my device.

Amazing.

How is it that somebody develops a program for a certain OS, only to have the program work half the time??? Am I wrong?? Why on earth would I go through the trouble of a trial and error method just to see if something that should work entirely to the end, really does? What kind of half-@$$ effor is this?

Ridiculous, and somebody woders why Windows Mobile is the cellar dweller of all mobile platforms.
SEKKDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:55 PM   #13
Piscean
Piscean began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7, Windows Phone, ASUS tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEKKDS View Post
I thought I'd put my two cents into this. I use a Sprint HTC Touch Pro2, running WM 6.5. I too downloaded the .cab file for the BN reader, and all seemed well. It connects to my library and I've gotten a few books downloaded for free that were readable on my device.

However.....

[...]

How is it that somebody develops a program for a certain OS, only to have the program work half the time??? Am I wrong?? Why on earth would I go through the trouble of a trial and error method just to see if something that should work entirely to the end, really does? What kind of half-@$$ effor is this?

Ridiculous, and somebody woders why Windows Mobile is the cellar dweller of all mobile platforms.
I was with you through your entire rant, right up until you jumped to the random/bizarre/mistaken conclusion that Microsoft and Windows Mobile had anything to do with the shoddy software from B&N. Microsoft and B&N are separate companies...
Piscean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:26 PM   #14
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscean View Post
I was with you through your entire rant, right up until you jumped to the random/bizarre/mistaken conclusion that Microsoft and Windows Mobile had anything to do with the shoddy software from B&N. Microsoft and B&N are separate companies...
Exactly, only B&N ADE books can work in that program. How anyone can blame that on Windows Mobile is beyond me. Same thing would happen in Android and Iphone OS. And apparently he has never heard of simply removing the DRM and reading it either.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:41 AM   #15
SEKKDS
SEKKDS began at the beginning.

Hmmm... ok, it is quite obvious BN and Microsoft are entirely separate companies. I get that, c'mon. I am only biatchin' about the fact that either one (I don't care who you pick on, though I am more ticked at Microsoft) of them put a software out there that does not function to its entirety. If I purchase a e-book from BN, and I have BN's e-reader, then why on earth would the bookstore's own e-book not be readable from the bookstore's own e-reader?? I bet my BN e-book would probably read on the iPhone/iPad/any other platform's BN e-reader. For whatever shortcomings and sorry reasons, they didn't cover WM.

The second thing to reply to... hmmm, I admit I have not heard of "ADE", though I quickly looked it up and is that talking about Adobe Digital Editions? I guess.... anyway, look.... all I simply said was, I purchased an e-book FROM BN.com's WEBSITE. I repeat, I got it straight out of B&N. And thus, should the title I purchased FROM B&N be readable FROM B&N's own reader??? Metaphorically, aren't I purchasing apples to put in my apple basket, and not in the banana basket I do not have??

Thanks for your input you two.
SEKKDS is offline   Reply With Quote