Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-14-2010, 11:29 AM   #1
MikeRo
Connoisseur
MikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kindle 3
Battery Charging

I bought my PRS300 in October and fully charged it then. I never let it hit the low battery warning and would just top it up every two weeks or so. In January I decided to see exactly how long a charge would last and how accurate the battery meter was. I realize that to properly calibrate the meter you should run a few charge/discharge cycles so my meter is currently not very accurate.

I fully charged it on Sunday, Jan 17 after it hit the low battery warning. It showed four bars for nearly 2 weeks, dropped to three bars and then to two bars within 2 days. It stayed at two bars for a week before dropping to one bar last Monday. I got the low battery warning last Thursday so my charge lasted 3 weeks and 4 days. In that time I averaged less than one hour per day of reading and made roughly 2500 to 3000 page turns. I never shut off the reader, just put it into sleep mode.

In summary:
Four bars: just under 2 weeks
Three bars: 2 days
Two bars: about 1 week
One bar: 4 days

On Thursday I charged it for about 15 minutes so I could continue reading. I am fully charging it right now and can post the results in about a month.
MikeRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:56 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That seems like an excellent battery life. Certainly a lot longer than the PRS-600; I get about 7-8 days battery life on the 600, although that's doing a lot of annotation, which is probably pretty "power hungry".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
anything using the touchscreen is going to suck power faster, people have tested turning pages with the screen vs. the buttons and the screen uses up more power even for that.

i read a lot in airports and can say i've gotten a good 6-7 hours of reading and only lost 2 bars on my 600. didn't keep track of pages, but as far as time goes, i am happy.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:30 PM   #4
tnronin
Zealot
tnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
I can't ever seem to get below 3 bars. Every time I synch the 300 I recharge. I need to try taking it down.
tnronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:15 PM   #5
Dusty
Connoisseur
Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 300, T1
I got mine at Christmas, read six books and a few newspapers so far and finally saw the battery meter go down one notch last night. I was starting to wonder if it was defective. I do keep it pluged into the PC once in a while
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2010, 04:33 PM   #6
MikeRo
Connoisseur
MikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kindle 3
The touch screen and annotations would definitely draw power down faster. Oh, I also deliberately did not bounce from book to book. I would finish one book and then start another. I was going for battery longevity.

I read a 400 page epub book (not sure how that translates to page turns), a 1000 page LRF and was part way through a 2000 page LRF when it ran out. It was a busy month so I didn't have much time for reading, usually 15 to 30 minutes before bed.
MikeRo is offline   Reply With Quote