Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-12-2009, 10:28 AM   #1
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Kindle for PC: A redeeming feature

Like many of the folk here, I was disappointed with the sparsity of features in the Kindle for PC software, but it does have one unexpected benefit that makes it worth keeping: the ability to download and read free samples in one step.

Until a few weeks ago, there was no way for those of us who are outside Whispernet to obtain the free samples. The samples could only be sent to a Kindle (or an iPhone / iPod which had the Kindle app installed).

Recently, Amazon changed their system to permit downloading of the samples to a computer, from where they could be transferred to a Kindle via USB. So at least we were able to obtain the samples, but the whole process was a bit of a performance.

But now, when you register your Kindle for PC app to your Kindle account, the Kindle for PC appears on the "Deliver to" menu, which means we can obtain and read a sample in one seamless step.

This is a definite plus. Because of it, I won't be uninstalling the Kindle for PC app (although I doubt I'll be using it for anything else).
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:37 AM   #2
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
I'm with you was underwhelmed by the lack of features on the software, allowing the direct download to PC and / or to Kindle on the PC was a positive move. Now if they'll just see the worth of embracing the epub format and sweep the market.

I'll keep it on the PC's as well but plan to use Calibre for all my library functions - that is when my Kindle DX finally arrives. Grrrr . . . I'm such a cheapskate opted for free ground delivery via USPS and they have a delivery date set at the 17 of November after I placed the ordered it on the 6th.
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2009, 11:49 AM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post

Recently, Amazon changed their system to permit downloading of the samples to a computer, from where they could be transferred to a Kindle via USB. So at least we were able to obtain the samples, but the whole process was a bit of a performance.
That's my preferred method in any case. I don't turn the whispernet on unless I have to.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:51 AM   #4
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootman View Post
I'm with you was underwhelmed by the lack of features on the software, allowing the direct download to PC and / or to Kindle on the PC was a positive move. Now if they'll just see the worth of embracing the epub format and sweep the market.

I'll keep it on the PC's as well but plan to use Calibre for all my library functions - that is when my Kindle DX finally arrives. Grrrr . . . I'm such a cheapskate opted for free ground delivery via USPS and they have a delivery date set at the 17 of November after I placed the ordered it on the 6th.
Dude. That's just not right. You spend $500 on a reader and then have it delivered by wagon train.....
Old 11-12-2009, 12:21 PM   #5
blackberry7
blackberry7 began at the beginning.

Device: none
The whispernet signal is weak in my area so I do most of my kindle downloads to computer and tr over through usb anyway. I'm a kindle newbie and I didn't know the usb tr option was new so I guess I waited till the right time to buy because I've been looking at Kindle since the first ones came out. The pc app would be useful to because I have school texts on it and I know I need a backup device so I can read them on in the event that my kindle breaks, or gets lost, stolen, etc. But I have a mac, not a pc so my choices are to go out and buy a cheap pc laptop or just sit tight and wait for the mac app which they say they're working on. I'm leaning toward the latter and keeping the money I would spend on a cheapie pc laptop for some other kind of pocket computing device.
blackberry7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2009, 12:23 PM   #6
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberry7 View Post
..... keeping the money I would spend on a cheapie pc laptop for some other kind of pocket computing device.
or books!
Old 11-12-2009, 02:28 PM   #7
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Blackberry7,

You're right that the Kindle for PC app would make a good back up. Keep in mind that it will only recognise books that you bought from the Kindle store. If you obtained public domain books elsewhere and transferred them to your Kindle, the app won't know anything about them.

If I was you, I'd be inclined to wait until the Mac version of the app comes out. After all, it's not time-critical. If disaster struck and you lost your Kindle, you'd still be able to open your books in the app later on. It's not as if you need to install it in advance.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:31 PM   #8
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Dude. That's just not right. You spend $500 on a reader and then have it delivered by wagon train.....
Yep, If'n it can be done stupid - I'm the one to do it that way!

Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote