Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-10-2009, 04:35 PM   #1
hakim
Connoisseur
hakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmos

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 840, Sony PRS-505
Question unicode chars in epubs after flashing

I have flashed my reader using igor's flasher to add unicode support and I am using calibre 0.5.9 to convert and transfer ebooks. Now, after the flashing, filenames (when listing them) and pdf file text seem to be displayed correctly, but in epubs (created with calibre) "?" are still displayed instead of some characters. When viewing the epubs with calibre viewer everything's ok. And yes, I tried deleting and resending the epubs. Any suggestions?
hakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:12 PM   #2
lonelygrrl
lonelygrrl began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Just use the LRF format. I had bad luck with Unicode ePub on PRS-505 but it was all fine with LRF. However, I found my reader crashes much more often opening/processing LRF, so use that format with care.
lonelygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2009, 01:23 AM   #3
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
EPUB uses a completely different rendering engine with a completely different approach to unicode fonts. To date there is no known way of getting unicode fonts inside EPUB without modifying each EPUB file separately (by adding special CSS rules).
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:15 AM   #4
hakim
Connoisseur
hakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmos

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 840, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelygrrl View Post
Just use the LRF format. I had bad luck with Unicode ePub on PRS-505 but it was all fine with LRF. However, I found my reader crashes much more often opening/processing LRF, so use that format with care.
Thanks for the suggestion. Finally found where to set converted file format in calibre and tried converting few books. Everything seems to be ok. No crashes even with large graphical novels and unicode chars are displayed correctly in normal books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
EPUB uses a completely different rendering engine with a completely different approach to unicode fonts. To date there is no known way of getting unicode fonts inside EPUB without modifying each EPUB file separately (by adding special CSS rules).
I see. I just wonder why calibre viewer displays EPUBs with unicode text correctly even theoretically it shouldn't.
hakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:33 AM   #5
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakim View Post
I just wonder why calibre viewer displays EPUBs with unicode text correctly even theoretically it shouldn't.
Because the displaying device (=your computer) has unicode fonts installed and the displaying software uses them. Neither requirement is fulfilled with Sony's (Adobe's) implementation of EPUB, unfortunately.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert