Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-29-2009, 01:35 PM   #1
sumpa
sumpa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Help! No access to Sony Ebookstore with french Sony Reader??

Hello!

I currently live in Marseille (france), but only since some weeks and my french is very poor. Since it is impossible to buy the Sony Reader (or, alas, the Kindle) in Sweden, my original country, I was delighted to find out that they sell the Sony Reader in Fnac (a french warehouse).

But now i can only access the fnac e-library, barely 3000 books, and all in french! I know feel a little bit cheated on my 300 euros, since I was looking forward to chugging into the long list of books I have found in the sony ebookstore..

Did I make some mistake, or is it really this bad?? Anyone else bought a Sony Reader in france, and can explain this to me?

I know I should better post this in the french forum, but my french is not good enough to formulate such a question..

Thankful for additional info or help...

/Erik
sumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:51 PM   #2
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Well, I live in the UK and to access the the US Sony ebook store, I went to the the website and downloaded the US version of the software. (You have to tick the box which says you live in the US.)

I don't know if this will work for you in France, but I believe it should work. You might need to uninstall the French version or download it on a different computer. I'm sure someone else from Europe will come along who can help.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2009, 02:58 PM   #3
sumpa

You mean the software at http://ebookstore.sony.com/download/ ? There is only one option there, and then it automatically downloads the E-library installer which opens a InstallShield Wizard, but before i can make any choises at all (tick the "i live in US-box") is says "This version is not supported in your region. The installation cannot continue" and terminates...

Where can I find the pure US-version?
Old 04-29-2009, 03:01 PM   #4
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumpa;
Hello!

I currently live in Marseille (france), but only since some weeks and my french is very poor. Since it is impossible to buy the Sony Reader (or, alas, the Kindle) in Sweden, my original country, I was delighted to find out that they sell the Sony Reader in Fnac (a french warehouse).

But now i can only access the fnac e-library, barely 3000 books, and all in french! I know feel a little bit cheated on my 300 euros, since I was looking forward to chugging into the long list of books I have found in the sony ebookstore..

Did I make some mistake, or is it really this bad?? Anyone else bought a Sony Reader in france, and can explain this to me?

I know I should better post this in the french forum, but my french is not good enough to formulate such a question..

Thankful for additional info or help...

/Erik
Why bother with the Sony ebook store in France? there are plenty of other places you can buy books the Sony will read. Assuming you want to read English editions Try Waterstones & WH smith in the UK choose the Digital Editions ( you need to have adobe Digital editions installed before you buy)

http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...e.do?ctx=10030
http://ebooks.whsmith.co.uk
http://www.adobe.com/products/digita...?promoid=DTEIO

And don't forget the enormous number of public domain books available here on mobilread - check the Wiki - click the link at the top of this page

I'm sure others will give more answers and you will eventually become to love your reader.

Last edited by columbus; 04-29-2009 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Links
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:09 PM   #5
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Hmm, that's the correct version, so it looks as if it's looking at something in your Windows settings first?

Note, by the way, that you can buy suitable formats, particulalry ePub, at other locations, such as Baen/Websubscriptions, BooksOnBoard and more recently Fictionwise. There's also the UK eStores such as Waterstones and WHSmith, quite apart from the free books (Baen Free Library, PG, here on Mobileread & Feedbooks, so instance).
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2009, 03:14 PM   #6
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You mean the software at http://ebookstore.sony.com/download/ ? There is only one option there, and then it automatically downloads the E-library installer which opens a InstallShield Wizard, but before i can make any choises at all (tick the "i live in US-box") is says "This version is not supported in your region. The installation cannot continue" and terminates...

Where can I find the pure US-version?
I downloaded this from there & use it for the 'freebies' I had no issues with location - but you can't download & install on a computer which has /had another UK or otherwise version of Ebook library installed. I used a separate pc & have no problems.

You just can't buy from the US store unless you have a US address based credit card or can get someone to buy you gift vouchers - (there are members here who will help)
Old 04-29-2009, 03:26 PM   #7
sumpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
Why bother with the Sony ebook store in France? there are plenty of other places you can buy books the Sony will read. Assuming you want to read English editions Try Waterstones & WH smith in the UK choose the Digital Editions ( you need to have adobe Digital editions installed before you buy)

http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...e.do?ctx=10030
http://ebooks.whsmith.co.uk
http://www.adobe.com/products/digita...?promoid=DTEIO

And don't forget the enormous number of public domain books available here on mobilread - check the Wiki - click the link at the top of this page

I'm sure others will give more answers and you will eventually become to love your reader.

Thank you all for all the quick and helpful responses, Waterstones was a great tip! And i already do love the reader

An off topic question, that's probably already been answered in other threads: on Waterstones I can choose different formats, i.e. ePUB or PDF, both compatible with my reader.. What differences are there? Which one is "best", and which one should i choose?
Old 04-29-2009, 03:30 PM   #8
columbus
Wizard

Quote:
Thank you all for all the quick and helpful responses, Waterstones was a great tip! And i already do love the reader

An off topic question, that's probably already been answered in other threads: on Waterstones I can choose different formats, i.e. ePUB or PDF, both compatible with my reader.. What differences are there? Which one is "best", and which one should i choose?
PDF does not display well on the Sony & is best avoided Epub is the better choice. Waterstones I think only offer Digital Editions which is fine on the sony but you must have digital editions installed on you pc before you buy & you must also register both DE and the 505 with adobe before you can read.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:07 AM   #9
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumpa View Post

All Waterstones books are in epub format.

WH Smith does epub and Adobe PDF

Books on Board does epub and Secure Adobe Digital Editions (Adobe PDF)

Fictionwise has started doing epub.

Here at MobileRead you can download and read the free books which are in BBeB (lrf) format as well as the epub books.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebooks.php?forumid=126

I would agree with columbus, go for the epub first and the adobe pdf if epub is not available.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:27 PM   #10
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Sony T3 backup
Just want to buy a book from the store.... my credit card is in fact in US$ but is a Jersey based bank, with my home address in Thailand..... It is staggeringly hopeless that Sony only let US addresses 'customers' purchase any of their books. Eeeejits.

Ah well.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:58 AM   #11
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Coops--

It's not Sony that's placing the restrictions, it's the publishers.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote