Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-28-2008, 06:03 PM   #1
FligMupple
Enthusiast
FligMupple doesn't litterFligMupple doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
Sony Reader now ruined for Canadians

Now, all the big new releases (or 3 of the 3 I've been looking for) say "US Only".

This is new. I was buying many new releases a month ago, but now I can't buy any. The device I like so much is literally ruined.

Does anyone have any information on what's going on?

This very much sucks.
FligMupple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:11 PM   #2
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
I don't know what's going on. I agree it sucks, but I have two words for you: Gift Certificates.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2008, 06:13 PM   #3
FligMupple
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
I don't know what's going on. I agree it sucks, but I have two words for you: Gift Certificates.
I don't know if I can do that, now that I've registered a canadian credit card. Is that llama guy still buying and selling the gift codes on here?
Old 09-28-2008, 07:38 PM   #4
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by FligMupple View Post
Is that llama guy still buying and selling the gift codes on here?
Lol, you mean "Leaping Gnome", don't you? Anyway, Fictionwise and BooksOnBoard couldn't care less what country you're buying from. I suggest you make use of them, they're better than Sony's store anyway.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:29 AM   #5
thelandlord
thelandlord began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
This is where being a canadian living in England like my wife has some advantages...
thelandlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2008, 07:51 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FligMupple View Post
Now, all the big new releases (or 3 of the 3 I've been looking for) say "US Only".

This is new. I was buying many new releases a month ago, but now I can't buy any. The device I like so much is literally ruined.
Don't you think you're being slightly melodramatic? You can buy LIT books and convert them, like so many other people do. You'll generally get better prices and a wider range of titles by doing so, and it takes literally seconds.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:21 AM   #7
FligMupple
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Don't you think you're being slightly melodramatic? You can buy LIT books and convert them, like so many other people do. You'll generally get better prices and a wider range of titles by doing so, and it takes literally seconds.
So far, I've only bought books from Sony, and obviously haven't converted anything. I looked around at other sites on the weekend, and stuff seems to be more expensive, not cheaper.

For example, here are 3 new release US Only books that I want to get:
The Given Day by Dennis Lehane for $13.96
Tsar by Ted Bell for $12.59
Anathem by Neal Stephenson for $11.99
Where can I get those from Canada at the same price or cheaper?

Last edited by FligMupple; 09-29-2008 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:27 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Fictionwise have:

The Given Day: $11.50
Anathem: $11.57

BooksOnBoard have "Tsar" for $11.93
Old 09-29-2008, 10:28 AM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Fictionwise have:

The Given Day: $11.50
Anathem: $11.57

BooksOnBoard have "Tsar" for $11.93
Well, those are not the "out of pocket" prices at FW. They are the "effective" prices. However, assuming you will be buying more ebooks from them it's a minor issue.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:31 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I'm sure they're available at BoB too (where the prices are "real"); I automatically check FW first.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:34 AM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I'm sure they're available at BoB too (where the prices are "real"); I automatically check FW first.
Right, but it does make a difference. I think The Given Day was a 50% micro pay rebate so that was about $24. I checked BoB and its 15.56 mobi and 18.86 LIT. (Why does BoB charge different amounts for different formats.)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:36 PM   #12
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
(Why does BoB charge different amounts for different formats.)
Yes, I never quite understood this myself. I frequently find it frustrating to find that a PDF version is cheaper than the LIT one, and not by a little, by 5$ or more (on newer books)... like there's a snowball's chance in Hell I'm buying a PDF...
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:45 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I can only guess that they come from different sources, and that it's the supplier who sets the price.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:29 PM   #14
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Harry, are those Agatha Christie books you're getting from Fictionwise (presumably in LIT) able to be formatted by BD in mobi format? Or do you have to use something like ConvertLit first?

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:41 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
Harry, are those Agatha Christie books you're getting from Fictionwise (presumably in LIT) able to be formatted by BD in mobi format? Or do you have to use something like ConvertLit first?

Jim
ConvertLIT to "explode" the LIT to OEB, then MobiCreator to convert the OEB to Mobi. The whole process takes perhaps 30 seconds. If you have a Sony it's equally quick to convert to LRF rather than Mobi using Calibre.