Notices

Old 09-11-2008, 08:53 AM   #46
The GreatGonzo
Old Yeller
The GreatGonzo is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad & Kindle - The Best of Both Worlds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
don't you think the Q2 2009 release date - only to business users, whatever that means - is pretty disappointing?
Hmmm... I see an opportunity for the hairy and unkempt mobileread hordes to charge into the corporate headquarters of yet another hapless e-ink device manufacturer and demand that devices be sold to private persons, way ahead of time ...

Is CommandeROR ready for this?

I know I am!
The GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:56 AM   #47
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
There are more videos on their web site that describe some of the features. I have a Plastic Logic wiki page that highlights what I have been able to find.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2008, 11:29 AM   #48
fdp
fdp began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500
Might be exactly what I was looking for.

This really does look very promising for those of us who have had issues with the current selection of devices due to screen size and pdf support. My primary desire for an e-reader in the first place was to reduce my paper consumption by a significant amount. For work I can go through ~200 pages-400 pages of 8 1/2 x 11 printer paper a week, and then there are all the large reference books! We've needed e-paper that can actually replace a piece of printer paper for a while...

As far as running Windows CE goes, I don't see the big deal. I am a Linux user, huge supporter of open source, and hater of Vista, but in all fairness Windows CE is one of Microsoft's better offerings. It should make developing 3rd party e-book applications and user-created programs much easier. Also, Windows CE performs very well on measly amounts of memory and loads quickly both from sleep and in startup (soft-reset). In the long run I think that the e-reading community (and the world at large) will benefit from open-source, but in the short term it makes sense for a company like Plastic Logic to concentrate on hardware (it's what they do) and go with a known entity like Windows CE for the software side of things.
fdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:34 AM   #49
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GreatGonzo View Post
Hmmm... I see an opportunity for the hairy and unkempt mobileread hordes to charge into the corporate headquarters of yet another hapless e-ink device manufacturer and demand that devices be sold to private persons, way ahead of time ...

Is CommandeROR ready for this?

I know I am!
Me too! Me too!

According to this article, "There was only one prototype available at Plastic Logic’s DEMO booth and their employees were VERY protective of it." So sadly, it looks like it'll be a while before there exist more than one of these things...

Here's another video. Among the new information in this one:
  • It will be officially announced in January
  • "Battery life measured in days, not hours"
  • "It has instant-on"
  • "Less than a third the weight of the Macbook Air" [i.e. less than a pound]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe
There are more videos on their web site that describe some of the features. I have a Plastic Logic wiki page that highlights what I have been able to find.
Dale, where's this wiki page you speak of? I can't find it.
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 01:09 PM   #50
Gameboy70
Connoisseur
Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, 3rd Gen iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
My pet peeve with all these posts on this blog, is people seem to want "everything" in the ereader. If they want "everything", i.e., keyboard, IR, WIFI, Internet connectivity, note taking, etc, why not buy a tablet pc?
The reason is simple. Some of us would prefer a general purpose E Ink information device rather than one with a light-emitting, eye-fatiguing screen. If I had a reader with full html, doc, txt, rtf and pdf support, I wouldn't miss the ability to read commercial e-books in the least. I'm much more concerned with the ability to read, write, edit, store, retrieve, send and receive documents than reading e-books. When it comes to fiction and literature, I'm perfectly content to read dead tree versions; in fact, I prefer them.

Yes, E Ink OEMs initially conceived and marketed their devices as book readers. Other than Amazon, which has obvious content delivery advantages and publisher leverage in this space I don't see book reading being the core competency of competing E Ink device manufacturers in future.

Last edited by Gameboy70; 09-11-2008 at 01:13 PM.
Gameboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2008, 01:19 PM   #51
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharker View Post
Me too! Me too!

<snip>

Dale, where's this wiki page you speak of? I can't find it.
The Wiki entry is here. It is just the start of a (hopefully) more detailed entry.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 01:35 PM   #52
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
The reason is simple. Some of us would prefer a general purpose E Ink information device rather than one with a light-emitting, eye-fatiguing screen. If I had a reader with full html, doc, txt, rtf and pdf support, I wouldn't miss the ability to read commercial e-books in the least. I'm much more concerned with the ability to read, write, edit, store, retrieve, send and receive documents than reading e-books.
Has anyone heard whether any computer manuf, i.e., Sony, Acer, HP, Gateway etc., will ever use an eInk screen instead of LCD???????
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 01:49 PM   #53
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
Has anyone heard whether any computer manuf, i.e., Sony, Acer, HP, Gateway etc., will ever use an eInk screen instead of LCD???????
At this stage it is not likely. LCDs are far less expensive per sq inch of screen space, e-ink is available in production for b+w only (color is several years away they say), and the refresh rate for e-ink is very slow and not suitable for normal computer tasks. (Games are also out of the question with e-ink due to the slow response on screen refreshes. When you can use a watch to time a screen refresh, that is slow. )
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:06 PM   #54
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharker View Post

Here's another video. Among the new information in this one:
  • It will be officially announced in January
  • "Battery life measured in days, not hours"
  • "It has instant-on"
  • "Less than a third the weight of the Macbook Air" [i.e. less than a pound]
I was about to refer people to the same video mentioned above, though this one is linked from Engadget to the link above. This is actually one of the more informative videos and provides quite a few screen shots & info about the device. All I have to say is "Nice!" and "I would like 3 please!" Why three? Why not? Can't wait for not only their release, but everyone else's response to it!

Here's Engadget's Link
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:19 PM   #55
jackbrown
Enthusiast
jackbrown began at the beginning.

I don't know about a Kindle Killer, but this thing is an Iliad killer for sure. My Iliad was bought partly in the hopes of it being a daily newspaper reader (hopes which were obviously never met), and partly as a PDF reader for JSTOR and all those other academic journal aggregators.

The screen on the Iliad is just too small for the job though, even though it's been the biggest Ereader screen around. Too much mucking around to make things readable.

I agree WinCE wasn't a terrible choice (how much benefit have we REALLY seen from Iliad's going with Linux? Honestly I'd say not much).

I only hope the screen refresh/pageflip speed has gone up significantly. This time I will certainly demo the device before buying. Additionally, I hope the stupid schmucks in the American Newspaper Publishers' Association get off their fat bums and start trying to sell their newspapers through new mediums like this device. I am sick of reading the NYT/WP on my laptop.
jackbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:50 PM   #56
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbrown View Post
I don't know about a Kindle Killer, but this thing is an Iliad killer for sure.
Yep, this is what I would call an "eDocument" reader rather than an eBook reader. While it will allow for reading eBooks it may eliminating alot of the printed paper you see around the office that you wonder about. I really shake my head when I see people print out their emails.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:05 PM   #57
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Ohh... more info an a video of the device being demoed!

http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/11/p...-kindle-fight/

BOb

EDIT: It shows the dreaded hit-it-with-a-shoe-test.

Last edited by pilotbob; 09-11-2008 at 05:09 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:13 PM   #58
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
...the refresh rate for e-ink is very slow and not suitable for normal computer tasks. (Games are also out of the question with e-ink due to the slow response on screen refreshes. When you can use a watch to time a screen refresh, that is slow. )
True -- for now! Slowness is not an inherent property of e-ink. E-ink devices today all use e-ink version 1 or version 2 (Vizplex). When they commercialize version 5 or 6, we'll have very quick refresh and color as well.

Don't believe me? Check this out. From ~1:16-1:27 there's a demo from E-ink Inc. of a working full-color video-refresh-rate e-ink display. Of course they say it won't hit the marketplace for another few years (and this video is a year old, anyway). But you can see, such a thing does actually exist in a lab somewhere.

Personally, I want it right here, right now.
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:54 PM   #59
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
My assumption is that it will be running a version of Windows CE in order to display Word, Excel and Power Point.
Since their web site is advertising for WinCE engineers in the 'careers' section, that would seem to be a good assumption.

-Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:21 PM   #60
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Knowing my luck, the bathsafe version will not be ready before my departure from this planet in 2027. How flexible is that screen?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!