Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-09-2008, 01:23 PM   #1
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Plastic Logic Announces Their New Reader

According to an article in TG Daily, Plastic Logic has formally announced their new flexible screen 8.5" x 11" reader. About the size of a pad of paper, the new reader the unit "can withstand getting hit with a shoe." It also features a wireless interface.

Here is the link from their website.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:38 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
This is going to open up a whole new series of ads for durabilitiy.

Added: And our Cybooks, Sonys, and Kindles will be quaint machines, like the Macs on the old Senfield reruns.

Thanks for the info.

(Please see my PM to you.)

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2008, 01:42 PM   #3
mazzeltjes
Addict
mazzeltjes doesn't littermazzeltjes doesn't litter

Device: sony 505
very interesting
I'd love to hear a price
mazzeltjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:45 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
the new reader the unit "can withstand getting hit with a shoe."
The biggest fear of ebook reading devices all over the world... getting hit with a shoe.

Curse you shoe!!!!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:47 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm still thinking of that poor, unfortunate guy here who dropped his from a stopped car.

Now we run over our devices.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2008, 01:50 PM   #6
Tom90deg
Tom90deg is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Hmm...I've seen this, and personaly, I see a few pros and cons.

Pros -
Durable
Huge screen
Touch screen
Thin and light

Cons -
Huge (Not easy to carry)
Expensive (Touch screens are costly)
Possibly low battery life (Batteries take up most of the weight and size of devices)
Wireless may mean Wi-Fi not EVDO or G3 or the like

In conclusion, it looks neat Too big for my tastes, to be honest, when's the last time you read a book that's 8.5x11 inches? most are much smaller, standard paperback is about 6x4 probaly. But, as they say, competition is always good Keeps companies on their toes and makes em make new things.
Tom90deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:02 PM   #7
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
It's not targeted at the people who read paperbacks most of the time, it's geared towards business users who need to take a lot of 8 x 11 papers with them for reading and who probably carry a briefcase with them.

For example, I have so often seen attorneys carrying around cases files in boxes ... sometimes three or four banker's boxes at a time ... to and from court. This is the type of person who needs one of these types of reader, so they can carry most or all of their documents with them without lugging around 200 pounds of materials.

No ... I'm not kidding 200 pounds is very common.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:04 PM   #8
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I can see using this for technical documents. I wonder what ebook formats it will support. (I don't consider PDF an ebook format.) My assumption is that it will be running a version of Windows CE in order to display Word, Excel and Power Point.

Hopefully by this time next year we will be able to see the actual product.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:12 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
It's not targeted at the people who read paperbacks most of the time, it's geared towards business users who need to take a lot of 8 x 11 papers with them for reading and who probably carry a briefcase with them.

For example, I have so often seen attorneys carrying around cases files in boxes ... sometimes three or four banker's boxes at a time ... to and from court. This is the type of person who needs one of these types of reader, so they can carry most or all of their documents with them without lugging around 200 pounds of materials.

No ... I'm not kidding 200 pounds is very common.
I agree. This is very common for professionals. In addition to lawyer repair techs have many full size tech manuals etc. I personally would want one to be able to have all my programming books on. Just one programming books can weight 10lbs. Now multiply that by several languages, code cookbooks, references manuals for software, etc. It would be nice to be able to carry all those big books.

... Just like the Kindle/Sony saves you from carrying 6 books when you travel or whatever.

Certainly this device will not be for recreational reading.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:18 PM   #10
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Yes, this might be just the thing for me, together with my Sony.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:05 PM   #11
awi
Enthusiast
awi has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: 2x Irex Iliad V2, DR1000s & DR800sg
Yeah, Iliad on the go, a Plastic logic reader for use in the living room, perfect!
awi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:19 PM   #12
rheostaticsfan
Zealot
rheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, iOS, Blackberry, Sony DPT (pdfs)
Here's a link to an article from a few weeks back when they announced their manufacturing location in Germany.

The article indicates commercial production by Spring 2009. (I believe that's "of displays"...potentially the reader could be assembled somewhere else so I'm not sure when we'd see devices in the market)

http://www.eetimes.com/news/semi/sho...leID=210003500
rheostaticsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:27 PM   #13
scstraus
scstraus began at the beginning.

Perfect!

If it has an e-book portal and good battery life measured in page turns, I'm there!
scstraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:03 PM   #14
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I see the PlasticLogic device as complementary to my Sony. What I expect to see happen is the New York Times offer subscribers who are willing to read the Times using the device either a free "loaner" for wireless subscription in lieu of the printed newspaper or a very inexpensive subsidized price with a 2-year subscription.

Alternatively, I may see newspapers and magazines offering reduced subscription rates (or extensions on current subscriptions) to people who buy the device and accept their newspapers and magazines electronically.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:05 PM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I have created a wiki page on Plastic Logic to track the development and announcements.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!