Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 07-12-2008, 06:04 AM   #1
simonp
simonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2
RJ Tech Digital Picture Frame w/ Ebook Reader

On the website of my friendly neighbourhood computer store (Atic Computers, Vancouver, B.C.), I found a digital frame called the RJ Tech RJ-901DPF (link). Advertised price is $CDN 85.00.

Among its listed features is an .txt file ebook reader:

* 7" LCD Digital Photo Frame with 3 Interchangeable frames
* Bright 7" TFT active matrix LCD screen (480 x 240 resolution)
* 3 Interchangeable frames for your DIY and easy to change frames
* Supports JPEG, MP3, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, AVI formats stored on supported memory cards or USB flash memory
* Supports media card format: CF/CFII/SD/MMC/MS, to view pictures and files stored in your camera
* Supports direct PC connection via USB cable for file transfer
* View digital photo / picture slideshow with background music
* File management without PC
* Supports built-in flash
* Built-in clock & calendar with alarm function
* Earphone output
* Rotation of pictures to view portraits
* Save files directly to internal flash memory by connecting from your PC, MP3 player, USB flash drive, or memory card
* E-book function: supports TXT format to read your favorite bed time story
* Simply insert compatible memory card or USB flash memory into the digital frame to show photos, play MP3 music and video files
* Audio and video output to TV
* Compatible with most digital cameras stored JPEG images
* Built-in 2 speakers to listen to MP3 or watch MPEG-4 movies
* Accessories included: remote control, AC cable, AC-DC adaptor, USB cable, 3 interchangeable frames
* Automatic slideshow with multiple transition effects, adjustable display time, and background music
* User friendly on screen display lets you access all controls easily

Googling this make and model brought up only stores in Canada selling this.

I think I might pick one of these up. A $300 eink reader is still not a good value for me (I regularly pick up 25 cent paperbacks at my two local used bookstores on a weekly basis; and with the library for classics, the price isn't right yet).

Not sure what the quality of this device will be (might be too good to be true). I would also like to see if I can install/boot Linux on it. So we'll see what happens.

Edit: The device listing on the Manufacturer's Website, however, lists no ebook function. I wonder if this is a mistake, a discontinued feature, or an oversight.

Last edited by simonp; 07-12-2008 at 06:11 AM.
simonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:38 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Having the ability to read and display text is a nice feature. There is also a program available that will create text images from a book for a digital frame. It works pretty well at providing eBook reading on any digital frame or other graphic device. It was originally written for the Zune. You can read about it on our wiki.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Zune_ebook_creator

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2008, 11:46 AM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonp View Post
I think I might pick one of these up. A $300 eink reader is still not a good value for me (I regularly pick up 25 cent paperbacks at my two local used bookstores on a weekly basis; and with the library for classics, the price isn't right yet).
If you're looking for an eBook reader device that is a bit less expensive and don't mind an LCD screen... but also want to be able to read new copyrghted material you may want to look into the eBookwise first. It is I think $120. http://www.ebookwise.com/

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 03:56 PM   #4
Synap
Synap began at the beginning.

Device: none
delete this post.

Last edited by Synap; 12-02-2008 at 04:03 PM. Reason: need to delete this post.
Synap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:01 PM   #5
Synap
Synap began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for the info on the RJ Tech Digital Picture Frame.

It just occurred to me that all picture frames could be pseudo ebook readers.

Here is how.

Adobe acrobat has a feature which allows you to save the pages of pdf files as JPG files. This would allow the picture frame to work as a kind of ebook reader. Just store each series of JPG files in a folder. Stick the folder on a flash drive, stick flash drive into picture frame. Then view the pictures in the fold of the book you want to read. Use the button controls to move from page to page.

This technique may offer advantages over converting to text file because, all pictures and formatting would remain in tact.

And for those who do not have the Adbobe acrobat software, I believe thier are some freeware versions that can also do this.

Now looking for picture frame that can run on batteries and can run several hours on a charge.
Synap is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2008, 08:25 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
The wiki describes the Zune eBook creater which is a program that can make eBooks for digital frames. https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Zune_ebook_creator
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:14 AM   #7
Enuf
Enuf began at the beginning.

Device: eeePC 900, iphone and PRS300
Thats an interesting idea. Text to image software works well (downloaded the zune ebook creator trial) and would be easily readable on a 7" frame.

I just ordered a 4.3" TFT mp4 player with txt ebook support. It will be interesting to see how jpg text images would look on that screen.
Enuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 03:05 PM   #8
Enuf
Enuf began at the beginning.

Device: eeePC 900, iphone and PRS300
Found this link to another text to image editor - its a freeware download and it works very well http://www.merlinsoftware.com/free.htm I was surprised it handled .lit files. Its not an ideal solution but needs must.
Enuf is offline   Reply With Quote