Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 04-27-2008, 11:07 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I finally found a device to replace my Palm PDA

I used to use a PalmOS based PDA. I used to love Palm. But when i got my laptop 2 years ago, I realized that most of what i did on my Zodiac i preferred to do on the laptop. I usually have my laptop with me, and when I don't have the laptop I usually don't need a device at all; a few sheets of paper will suffice. So I gave up on a PDA about 20 months ago.

I recently found a device that is fits in a pocket and is close enough in function to a laptop that I feel I could use this instead.

The device in question is a HP Jornada 720, and was released in 2000. Yes, I choose, instead of a new PDA, a device that is older, heavier, and does much much more.

The 720 has both a keyboard and a 6" touchscreen. The screen resolution is 640 by 240. The device weighs just over a pound, and fits nicely in a pants pocket. For expansion it has a CF card slot and a PCMCIA slot.The CF has a 2GB at the moment. find out more here, here, and in particular look here.

The Jornada 720 runs as an OS Handheld PC 2000, which is based on WinCE 3.0. I know what you're thinking; the thought of using an OEM version of Windows makes you "WinCE". But you should set that aside. This OS looks and feels like Windows 2000, in my opinion. Plus, it comes with Pocket Office. (This is the one way that the 720 beats Nokia's ITs.)

I have 4 ebook reader running on it right now: Mobipocket, eReader, MSReader, and uBook. I've tried them all and my favorite is Mobipocket. It's so good that if I could only carry the 720 or my Kindle, I would choose the 720.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:42 AM   #2
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Oops!
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2008, 07:58 PM   #3
dgillette.rm
Connoisseur
dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
If that breaks on you, get an ASUS EEEpc. Ok it might be a little bigger than your hp but it really gets the job done.
dgillette.rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:34 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgillette.rm View Post
If that breaks on you, get an ASUS EEEpc. Ok it might be a little bigger than your hp but it really gets the job done.
The main point of the Jornada is that it is pocketable. I can go completely bagless and backpack free if I bring the Jornada 720 with me. I can't do that with the 701 eee.

And besides, the eee weighs just over 2 lbs. If I am going to have a laptop shaped weight in my arms, it will be my 4 lbs laptop.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:01 PM   #5
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
I am seriously jonesing for the Samsung Q1 Ultra. If only it could have at least 2GB RAM, and processor speed near the 3.0GHz mark, it would be my ultimate all-purpose machine.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2008, 09:02 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I know what you mean.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:40 PM   #7
Huxley The Cat
Librarian
Huxley The Cat began at the beginning.

Device: Clie TH55, PRS-505
I've recently purchased a PRS-505 (which I really enjoy using), but I'd like to also try the ebook experience on a PDA. This is no reflection on the 505 or eink devices generally, but is bourne out of curiosity about how the experience would differ - a comparison would also be useful for a study that I am undertaking in work wrt ebooks too.

I'm hoping to pick something up on Ebay for £50-£75 and have narrowed the choice down to:

Sony Clie TH55
Sony Clie NX70
Tungsten T3
Jornada 720

Does anyone have any experience of using any of these specifically for ebook reading and do you have any comments that could sway me in one direction or another, or indeed, are there any other PDAs that I should add to this list?

Regards

HTC
Huxley The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:49 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I'm using my 720 as an ebook reader. I'm happily using Mobipocket, and I rotated it 90 degrees. My Jornada has almost twice the screen real estate of a 4" screen. I really like it.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:57 PM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I took a class with a woman who used a Jornado. It was her main computer. She sat in class and typed in notes, researched and wrote papers on it, and played games. It seems like it would be perfect for reading pdf format books. I've wanted one ever since!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:18 PM   #10
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
I once owned a Psion 5mx and I loved it dearly.
Back then I didn't have a laptop and it was a blessing.
Back then I also didn't read ebooks, so I can't say if reading on a device such as the Psion or the jornada is "just like" reading on a PDA, but it's an anazing little machine.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:34 PM   #11
Huxley The Cat
Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
I once owned a Psion 5mx and I loved it dearly.
Back then I didn't have a laptop and it was a blessing.
Back then I also didn't read ebooks, so I can't say if reading on a device such as the Psion or the jornada is "just like" reading on a PDA, but it's an anazing little machine.
Hm, after a little more research I've added the Revo Plus to my shortlist. It seems that Mobi provide a version for the OS and it would be quite a bit cheaper than the alternatives.

HTC
Old 04-30-2008, 06:51 PM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Another one you might consider is the Jornada 360LX.
Here is a good seller on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-360LX-JORNADA...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 04-30-2008, 07:49 PM   #13
Huxley The Cat
Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Another one you might consider is the Jornada 360LX.
Here is a good seller on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-360LX-JORNADA...QQcmdZViewItem
Thanks for that Nate, it looks a good option. I'd be perfectly happy with a greyscale screen and I like the fact that this one is larger than the Revo's.

Choices, choices
Old 05-01-2008, 02:17 PM   #14
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I've been reading ebooks on several versions of Palms, for 10 or more years. My current Palm is the Tungsten T3, which you listed as one of your choices. It's great! The screen expands to give a longer page before you have to "turn". I set up my "ereader.com" software so I just tap at the bottom of the page to move downward in the book. You can also set it up for left/right clicks if that works better for your brain. Then again, that is specific to the ereader.com software (which is free). It works on text files as well as their book format.
You can also put a mobireader on the T3.

In short -- I highly recommend the Tungsten T3 if you want to try reading on a pda. I got my Kindle cuz my eyes were beginning to object to the backlit format, but that's an age thing. I loved pulling a pda from a pocket, to read a book while waiting in the grocery line!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:14 AM   #15
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

So it turns out there is a Linux distro for the 720. Actually, there are several but the one I am trying is called jlime. As soon as I figure out how to mount the partitions of a CF card, I will give it a shot.

I've never done this before in Linux. I'm probably going to have to have a Linux geek do it for me.